Re: AT&T Usenet Netnews Service Shutting Down

FreeTheBirthCert

Jun 8, 2009, 11:26:14 AM6/8/09
newsm...@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
> offering access to the Usenet Netnews service. If you wish to continue
> reading Usenet newsgroups, access is available through third-party vendors.

cite?

Stray Cat

Jun 8, 2009, 2:22:09 PM6/8/09
On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 11:26:14 -0400, FreeTheBirthCert <ke...@n.born>
wrote:

But they do not propagate posts made in their local groups off their
servers.

John McGaw

Jun 9, 2009, 10:33:48 AM6/9/09
newsm...@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
> offering access to the Usenet Netnews service. If you wish to continue
> reading Usenet newsgroups, access is available through third-party vendors.

I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Actually, AT&T took longer
to totally kill their USENET access than I had thought they would after
they killed binaries access.

I look forward to seeing how much AT&T reduces my bill every month to
account for what they have taken away. Yeah, right...

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Albert Sims

Jun 9, 2009, 12:09:33 PM6/9/09
I only subscribe to a few groups on the BellSouth servers (mainly the
BellSouth groups themselves, along with alt.fan.goons,
alt.fan.monty-python, and alt.fan.letterman, so I probably won't miss it
much, admittedly. BUT, I'll miss the little "community" that was built
up here over the years, and the great help Dennis has always been
whenever questions are asked (he should get a good raise!).

The few other newsgroups I read all are on their own separate servers
(Microsoft, Corel, Mozilla, and GRC), so I'll still be accessing those
after the BellSouth servers go "dark". The few others, listed above, are
text only, so one of those free services would work for me just fine.
I've never been much on downloading stuff from newsgroups, since I could
never figure out how to join all the pieces and gave up on that years ago!

--
Albert Sims
West Monroe,Louisiana

tlvp

Jul 14, 2009, 3:56:09 PM7/14/09
On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 12:09:33 -0400, Albert Sims <albe...@hellsouth.net>
wrote:

So, before it's too late, sign up for the free former Motzarella
news-server
(now Eternal-September.org) and come visit alt.att, or alt.thinkquest, or
one of the alt.online-service.* groups, or ... .

Or sign up to use the Aioe news-server, or ... .

Cheers, -- tlvp