Experiment simulation with free photons.

pierrel5556

Jun 28, 2022, 1:00:31 PM6/28/22
to Bell inequalities and quantum foundations

Hello to all,

By simulating an EPR type experiment with free photons, I get different results between QM and a simple local model using just Malus' law.
I would like to know what needs to be done to make both models produce an identical result.

Here is an image of the simulated experiment.

exp_f2.png

S1 and S2 are two pulsed single photon sources.
RP is a rotating linear polarizer (fixed on a motor).
By simulating random delays between each emission, the two emitted photons arrive with an identical but random polarization on the Alice and Bob polarizers.

In this experiment, the simulation seeks the minimum value that can be obtained with Eberhard's inequality using perfect detection.

With QM using the joint probability of the outcomes and zero entanglement, I get a minimal J/N value close to 0.
With the local model using the Malus law, the minimum value is around 0.14
Note that if the RP engine is stopped, the local simulation gives the QM result with J/N close to 0.

I would like to know if QM is applicable for this experiment, or if it is my local model that is incorrect.
How to take into account with QM the fact that the input polarization is random. ?

Thank you for your answers.

Pierre