Non-Hermitian coherent hyperspin

Bryan Sanctuary

May 4, 2022, 2:29:37 PM5/4/22
to Bell inequalities and quantum foundations
Hi all

I present my second paper that has nothing to do with Bell.  It is a QFT description of the consequences of changing the spin symmetry from SU(2) to the quaternion group Q^8

Best wishes

Bryan

Richard Gill

May 4, 2022, 4:09:18 PM5/4/22
to Bryan Sanctuary, Bell inequalities and quantum foundations
Dear Bryan

You write “[Richard says my work] is not a counterexample because I am doing QM and Bell did classical mechanics. (I do not get that). I have mentioned that I have no objection to Bell’s math and indeed Bell’s theorem is relevant to classical computing based on the assumption that the ‘flags are always flying’  (spin is always either up or down.)  Bell’s Theorem is no longer applicable to quantum mechanics.”

I noticed your words “I do not get that”. Indeed, you still don’t get it. Bell’s inequalities are not “about quantum mechanics”, they are a consequence of Classical Local Hidden Variables. Bell’s theorem says that the predictions of quantum theory cannot be reproduced by a classical and local theory.

You completely agree with Bell! You agree with his results!

Why you say that Bell assumes “spin is always either up or down” I simply cannot fathom. Bell talks about experiments in which a measurement outcome is binary. Bell does not talk about “spin” and he makes no assumptions about that which he does not talk about.

Richard

Sent from my iPad

On 4 May 2022, at 20:29, Bryan Sanctuary <bryancs...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all

Bryan Sanctuary

May 4, 2022, 8:19:48 PM5/4/22
to Richard Gill, Bell inequalities and quantum foundations
Hi Richard,

It is difficult to explain more clearly "what I don't get".

This is what "I do not get" about why you won't accept helicity as a counterexample disproof:

Bell said:    "...and if it agrees with quantum mechanics it will not be local."  Please Richard note that these are Bell's words and he is applying his theorem to quantum mechanics.  Do you see the words there??  Let me spell it out like Harry Potter:  Bell is talking about quantum mechanics, got it?  Understand Bell's words?  Quantum mechanics, it is really really clear.

So please why do you say to me:

"Bell’s inequalities are not “about quantum mechanics”,

I don't get it.  Do you now see why??

Nothing else to say.

Bryan

Richard Gill

May 5, 2022, 12:22:45 AM5/5/22
to Bryan Sanctuary, Bell inequalities and quantum foundations
No Bryan. Bell is talking about two things, not one. He is comparing two things.

Dobby must also learn to distinguish between John S. Bell’s concepts, and Bryan C. Sanctuary’s concepts.

The *two* things Bell talks about are: *Bell’s* definition of local realism (not yours); *Bell’s* understanding of quantum mechanics.

Sent from my iPhone

Jan-Åke Larsson

May 5, 2022, 1:18:34 AM5/5/22
to Bell_quantum...@googlegroups.com
Bryan,

the words "agrees with quantum mechanics" are about the predictions (the outcome statistics).
Not the mathematical structure.

/JÅ

Jan-Åke Larsson

May 5, 2022, 1:38:33 AM5/5/22
to Bell_quantum...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to write

Your "model" does not "agree with quantum mechanics" in precisely that sense.

This is because your "model" does not give all the predictions that quantum mechanics does. Your "model" only outputs the correlation.

Your "model" is not a counterexample to Bell's theorem.

/JÅ

Inge Svein Helland

May 5, 2022, 3:11:33 AM5/5/22
to Jan-Åke Larsson, bell_quantum...@googlegroups.com

I agree with Jan-Åke and Richard: Bell's theorem stands firmly.

But what are the consequences of Bell's theorem? What are the consequences of the fact that Bell's inequalities may be violated, not only by quantum mechanics, but by real experiments?

In my view, the consequences may be far-reaching. It is argued in the first article here that any person will be limited when making decisions about the experiment. He is simply not able to keep enough variables in his mind during his arguments.

We all go through life making decision after decision, simple decisions and more complicated decisions. Some of these are made by habits, rutines that we have developed since childhood. Some are made due to influence by others, our social environment. But some are made consciously and under full use of our free will. These depend on the knowledge that we have in the given context, the variables that we have in our mind.

In the second article here, published in International Journal of Theoretical Physics, it is argued that essential elements of quantum mechanics follow under weak conditions if, in the relevant context, the observer has two related maximally accessible variables in his mind. These terms are precisely defined.

What is lacking in these articles, is a discussion of the quantum probabilities, of Born's theorem. Such a discussion is given in Chapter 5 of my book 'Epistemic Processes'. There, Born's formula is argued formaking a few assumptions, an important assumpion being that the relevant observer has ideals that can be modeled in terms of a perfectly rational abstract being.

So, in conclusion,  our minds seem to be essential. The resulting interpretation of quantum mechanics is a general epistemic one, also argued for in my book. This, as I see it, contains QBism as a special case; it is also related to Zwirn's convivial solipsism and to Rovelli's relational interpretation. I have tried to discuss ontological consequences in an arXiv paper, but this discussion is by no means complete.

Well, these are my views. They may be discussed, and I am willing to take that discussion. But I hope that it can be an informed discussion. I simply do not accept any longer that my viewpoints shall be ignored.

Inge

May 5, 2022, 4:19:05 AM5/5/22
to Inge Svein Helland, Jan-Åke Larsson, bell_quantum...@googlegroups.com
Dear Inge,

You wrote: “I simply do not accept any longer that my viewpoints shall
be ignored”. But you ignore not just someone's point of view, but the
mathematical fact that orthodox quantum mechanics does not predict the
EPR correlation and violation of Bell inequalities. All this comedy
with discussions about Bell's inequalities and the refutation of
realism, which has degraded down to QBism and Zwirn's convivial
solipsism, is a consequence of the inability of most modern scientists
to think logically.

With best wishes,
Alexey

чт, 5 мая 2022 г. в 10:11, Inge Svein Helland <in...@math.uio.no>:
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/Bell_quantum_foundations/148a6c52df174fb2a746e0ee943d505e%40math.uio.no.

Richard Gill

May 5, 2022, 4:42:42 AM5/5/22
to Алексей Никулов, Inge Svein Helland, Jan-Åke Larsson, Bell_quantum...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Alexei, I think that some living members of older generations of scientists can’t think logically!

Sent from my iPhone

> On 5 May 2022, at 10:19, Алексей Никулов <nikulo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Inge,
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/Bell_quantum_foundations/CAKiL4iLSkp430LSihiPpDW8kw3CDq6bYmgAnivEQ3eZPRT2Y2A%40mail.gmail.com.

Inge Svein Helland

May 5, 2022, 4:59:13 AM5/5/22
to Richard Gill, Алексей Никулов, Jan-Åke Larsson, bell_quantum...@googlegroups.com

Dear Alexey,

If you look at my book, you will see that I have discussed very many points of view. In my Bell paper, please read it, I have even included you as the first reference. But that does not mean that I agree with your considerations. I in no way do.

Inge

May 5, 2022, 7:06:38 AM5/5/22
to Inge Svein Helland, Richard Gill, Jan-Åke Larsson, bell_quantum...@googlegroups.com
Dear Inge,

I read your papers and have been looking through your book. Thank you
for the link to my paper [1]. I draw attention in this paper that the
opinion of Bell and most physicists that ordinary quantum mechanics is
just fine for all practical purposes is not entirely correct. Quantum
mechanics cannot describe some quantum phenomena, and there are
mathematical errors in the description of some phenomena. Most of all,
I was struck by a mathematical error in the description of the Zeeman
effect. I noticed this error thanks to Anthony Leggett. My co-author
of the paper [2] asked me in 2014: "Why is the energy of the magnetic
moment in an external magnetic field not taken into account in the
theory of flux qubit?"

I asked Leggett that question. He replied: “But when we go over to the
Hamiltonian formalism by the standard ’canonical’ procedure, the total
Hamiltonian turns out to be just the kinetic energy! Where has the
’magnetic’ energy gone? Perhaps our naive tendency to identify the
Hamiltonian with the ’energy’ is (as in some cases involving
time-dependent forces) misleading?” I quote Leggett's answer in the
paper [2], because I noticed that the energy of the magnetic moment
cannot be deduced from the canonical Hamiltonian only thanks to this
answer. Although it's funny that I did not notice this obvious fact
without the Nobel prize winner.

When I noticed this obvious fact, I looked at how the energy of the
magnetic moment in an external magnetic field is deduced in books, for
example in the book [3], when describing the Zeeman effect. It turned
out that this energy is derived from the canonical Hamiltonian, which
cannot be done without a mathematical error. A mathematical error (an
obvious error!) is indeed in the paragraph 113 ”An atom in a magnetic
field” of the book [3]. This error appeared because Dirac in 1930 used
a non-canonical definition of the Hamiltonian to describe the Zeeman
effect in the book [4]. Authors of the books, [3] and others,
published after 1930 followed Dirac, but used the canonical
Hamiltonian. It is very strange that no one has noticed for many years
that different quantum phenomena cannot be described without a
mathematical error using one definition of the Hamiltonian. This once
again shows that most physicists believe rather than understand
quantum mechanics.

I have a sharply negative attitude to QBism and convivial solipsism,
since I consider it unacceptable to confuse physics with psychology in
physical theory, as the creators of quantum mechanics did. The mass
misconception about quantum mechanics has become possible precisely
because in this theory reality is confused with our knowledge of the
probability of observation results. When two years ago I wrote Gerard
't Hooft about the observer's consciousness he answered: “Every now
and then you write some sentences that I agree with, but when people
start to stir the notion of "consciousness" into quantum mechanics I
reach for my trash box”.

I agree with the Nobel prize winner that any physical theory in which
“consciousness” is used in any way should be thrown into the trash
box. But Gerard 't Hooft does not want to admit that we should throw
quantum mechanics in the trash box first of all. I should note that
the two Nobel laureates Gerard 't Hooft and Anthony Leggett have not
just different, but opposite opinions about consciousness in quantum
mechanics. This is one of the evidences of the deepest crisis of
modern physics.

[1] Nikulov, A.: Could ordinary quantum mechanics be just fine for all
practical purposes? Quantum Stud.: Math. Found. 3, 41-55 (2016)
[2] V.L. Gurtovoi, A.V. Nikulov, Energy of magnetic moment of
superconducting current in magnetic field. Physica C 516, 50–54
(2015).
[3] Landau, L.D., Lifshitz, E.M.: Quantum Mechanics: Non-Relativistic
Theory, 3rd edn, vol. 3. Elsevier Science, Oxford (1977)
[4] Dirac, A.M.: The Principles of Quantum Mechanics. Oxford
University Press, New York (1958)

With best wishes,
Alexey

Inge Svein Helland

May 5, 2022, 8:34:16 AM5/5/22
to Алексей Никулов, Richard Gill, Jan-Åke Larsson, bell_quantum...@googlegroups.com

Dear Alexey.

Thank you for a long answer. I am not familiar with the Zeeman effect, so I have very little to say about this part. But I notice that you conclude that 'most physicists believe rather than understand quantum mechanics' even after referring to a deep thinker like Dirac.

I think that the term 'understanding' is very important. My opinion is that one can understand a theory on many different levels. One level is connected to what I call conceptual variables. Very many quantum states can be understood from the point of view that they correspond to a question 'What will t be if we do a measurement?' together with a sharp answer, say, 't=u', where t is a conceptual variable (this term can be defined by the requirement that the above question should have meaning), and u is one of the values that t can take.

This does not cover all aspects of quantum mechanics, but is a useful beginning for some understanding.

Starting in this way, it seems to be avoidable to in some way or other consider links between physics and psychology, which you consider unaccessible. A long paper discussing such links is 'Quantum cognition' by Pothos and Busemeyer (Ann. Rev. Psychol. 73, 749-778, 2022). Just after I received your paper, I received a preprint from Andrei Khennikov (Quantum-like modelling of cognition, decision making, ecological, social, political, and spritual phenomena), where he seems to have even wider views.

You also cite Gerard 't Hooft. He may have his opinions, as we all do. My hero in physics is Leonard Susskind. These two have independently arrived at new ideas (holography) that may seem to give possibilities to unite quantum mechanics and general relativity.

One might in some sense agree with you that there is a crisis in modern physics. I think that this crisis can be resolved, but not in any way by rejecting quantum mechanics. It is an important theory that may pave the way towards deeper understanding. But some of this belongs to the future.

Inge

May 5, 2022, 3:11:41 PM5/5/22
to Алексей Никулов, Richard Gill, Jan-Åke Larsson, bell_quantum...@googlegroups.com

Dear Alexey,

Your long answer again points at important problems. Physicists have all sorts of opinions on these problems. My own opinions have partly been based on my background as a statistician, not a physicist. Thus I have wanted to approach quantum mechanics as an outsider, with the hope that at least certain parts of it could be explained to other outsiders. I fact I have done so in a series of notes to statisticians at the same time that I wrote my physics papers. I admit that I have taken as a point of departure what you call the subjective definition of a quantum state, and this has lead to the two papers that I posted earlier today. I have not excuded objectivity. Of course the real world exists. But we are limited in our ability to find all the knowledge of the world that we want to find. Science in all its variants is our best way to find such knowledge. Thus I completely agree with the Einstein-quotation in the next paragraph.

(I looked briefly on your own paper that you refer to, and found among other things this quotation by Einstein: ) 'The reciprocal relationship of
epistemology and science is of noteworthy kind. They
are dependent upon each other. Epistemology without
contact with science becomes an empty scheme. Science
without epistemology is - insofar as it is thinkable at all
- primitive and muddled.'

My starting point has been epistemology, but I think it has been an epistemology with contact with science. In fact, my own background science, statistics, has more contact with all sorts of science than pure physics have.

I see a close connections between theories and models. Both exist in the minds of scientists. For my views on models in connection to statistics, and also on my views on decisions and their relation to at least some part of quantum theory, see my article recently posted on the arXiv:

            arXiv:2205.00776 (2022).

I am interested in opinions, but primarily opinions that can be related to my own. I must confess that in some of the strong opinions that you express, I have difficulty with finding an openness towards other views, and that may make it difficult to answer you.

Unfortunately, I will now be away from my computer for a few days, but I will try to take  discussions up again on Monday.

My hope is also other reactions than those given by you, Alexey.

Inge

May 7, 2022, 5:36:07 PM5/7/22
to Richard Gill, Bell inequalities and quantum foundations

Hi Richard

Although all the different variations of what Bell did and said that you bring up are interesting, I still want to insist to you that I am more interested in the foundations of quantum mechanics than Bell.

My first paper, Spin with hyper-helicity, was a phenomenological introduction to helicity as a missed property of spin.  You rejected helicity as a counterexample that disproves Bell.

The second paper, Non-Hermitian coherent hyperspin, gives the QFT analysis which puts helicity on the same mathematical footing as the usual Dirac spin but comes to the startling conclusion that anti-matter is not formed as Dirac suggested, but it is just the second spin axis spinning!!  I was surprised at that consequence, but there are many others.

Did you have a chance to have a look?  Have you assembled your panel to assess that paper?

Bryan

Richard Gill

May 8, 2022, 12:09:46 AM5/8/22
to Bryan Sanctuary, Bell inequalities and quantum foundations
Dear Bryan

I read through both your papers immediately when they appeared on your blog. I don’t understand them, which is possibly due to gaps in my own education. I will look at them again.

I want to repeat my suggestion that you post them on F1000research.com We can then together invite experts to publish reviews there. There is a section for mathematics, physics, and computational sciences. It doesn’t have any papers yet. Time to start it up. Other members of this group could publish there too. I have several papers in my “back drawer” which deserve to see the light of day and I’m getting very tired of fighting referees and editors in a long tedious process. Alessandro and Alexei have controversial ideas and controversial works which could be published there.

Richard

Sent from my iPhone

Richard Gill

May 8, 2022, 11:00:01 AM5/8/22
to Bryan Sanctuary, Bell inequalities and quantum foundations
Dear Bryan, dear colleagues,

I made another attempt at reading the two papers by himself which Bryan mentioned. He does not explain his notation. Partly because of this, I cannot make any sense of the content of the two papers. But anyway, a lot of important steps in the argument seem to be missing. He refers to a book “Irreducible Cartesian tensors”, of which a Kindle version costs €100.-; please, Bryan, give a reference to material which is freely available, if it is essential to know what is in there. But I am already completely lost long before I possibly need that stuff.

Rather importantly, I haven’t heard anyone in our group saying that they understood what Bryan is trying to say. Maybe the two papers will be more intelligible when and if his third paper “Non-Hermitian Coherent Spin”, submitted to Chinese J. of Physics, appears.

It seems that he wants properties of the two particles to each be represented by a four-dimensional Hilbert space, itself the tensor product of two two-dimensional spaces: one for spin, one for helicity. Is it true that he believes that after separation, the two particles are in a mixture of product states? In that case, the “mixing variable” could be a classical hidden variable which causes, in a classical way, correlations between results of measuring each particle separately. After the particles have separated, each particle is measured. The outcome of each measurement is binary. Unfortunately, Gull’s theorem (which Bryan didn’t bother to investigate, because my paper was too long) proves that you certainly cannot reproduce the singlet correlations in that way. The theorem in that paper is short and easy to comprehend. The proof was perhaps longer than necessary; Gull’s original is very short but misses a crucial step.

Perhaps Bryan is thinking of a quantum hidden variable. If his model is fully quantum, then Bell’s theorem does not apply to it.

However, Tsirelson’s theorem shows that the singlet correlations are exclusively recovered, in quantum mechanics, from states and measurements which are isomorphic to the state and measurements which maximise the violation of the CHSH inequality. So hidden Hilbert space dimensions are of no use whatsoever!

Maybe Bryan wants to discard the conventional framework of QM altogether. If he goes for something strictly *larger* he should easily even be able to violate Tsirelson’s inequality.

Richard

Sent from my iPad

Bryan Sanctuary

May 8, 2022, 11:18:35 AM5/8/22
to Richard Gill, Bell inequalities and quantum foundations
Hi all

It is clear that Richard has not studied Quantum Field Theory, otherwise he would not make half those comments.  He says important parts are missing, but does not explain.

I mentioned that the papers should be reviewed  by unbiased physicist who understands QFT, Richard does not fill those criteria

I will release the third paper soon.  I note that a good portion of this paper, not all, has been vetted by a string theorist, he didn't object to my notation.

I attach the ICT book.

I was passed from one journal to another.  The forth was the Chinese (Taiwan) j of physics, and they say initial review is done. I am waiting to hear.

Bryan
ict.pdf

Jan-Åke Larsson

May 8, 2022, 11:51:01 AM5/8/22
to Bell_quantum...@googlegroups.com
Bryan,
It would likely help your cause if you explain the notation. You will not convince people if they cannot read your paper.

I understand enough of the notation to conclude that the "model" does not give the predictions of quantum mechanics (e.g., the probabilities of individual outcomes), only the correlation.
Your paper does not provide a counterexample.

/Jan-Åke

Richard Gill

May 8, 2022, 12:32:27 PM5/8/22
to Bryan Sanctuary, Bell Inequalities and quantum foundations
Indeed, I have not studied quantum field theory.

What was missing was for me, any explanation of the notation.

I’ve now tried again and I think I’ve figured out what is done in the paper “Spin Helicity”. There are some cute formula manipulations, and no mathematical errors doing those formula manipulations as far as I could see. (I did not expect to find errors, anyway).

Bryan rewrites the usual QM calculation of the singlet correlations using (5) - (8)

He says "The first term, U, is seen in Eq.(7), but the second term traces out and the anti-symmetric part makes no contribution to the correlation between the measured polarized states, σa1 σb2, see Eq.(5).”

Thus he has written the singlet correlations in a more lengthy form by adding a term in (11) which traces out.

He now rewrites the more complicated expression for the singlet correlations as a sum of two parts in a different way, the first corresponding to separation of an entangled state at the source.

In other words, he got the usual answer x, he then adds zero = y - y, and which he then rewrites as  x = (x + y) - y = z - y.

He says "We deduce the formation of a local singlet involves two spins aligning to cancel their magnetic moments. Additionally, handedness cancels like a left and right hand joining. Both physical quantities are still present in the singlet state, but both cancel out leaving isotropy.”

This is not a question of *deduction*. It is a question of poetry. He has come up with a picturesque description of the two terms in a more complicated calculation of the singlet correlations than the usual one. There is no new physics here, just a more complicated way to do exactly the same computation as usual, together with a poetic description of the terms which he has introduced. This has nothing whatsoever to do with Bell’s theorem and with questions of non-locality of quantum correlations. In my opinion, it is poetry, not science.

If it makes anyone happy that’s fine. I’m happy for Bryan that he is so pleased with what he’s found.

Bryan writes near the end of the paper “the geometric consistency with the structure of a photon in the Figure gives an alluring credibility to our description of spin in free flight.” I believe that Bryan has been allured by siren calls … recall, that the sirens "were dangerous creatures who lured nearby sailors with their enchanting music and singing voices to shipwreck on the rocky coast of their island”.

Bryan concludes "Quantum coherence crucifies Bell’s Theorem. Ontology in Nature is resurrected. The missionaries of 'Quantum weirdness' will convert to realism. We conclude with Bell’s theorem gone, nothing stands in the way of EPR: quantum mechanics is incomplete.”

However, ontology has not been resurrected, and Bell’s theorem was not crucified. Bryan has added to conventional QM, but what he adds is superfluous.

<ict.pdf>

Richard Gill

May 8, 2022, 12:52:18 PM5/8/22
to Bryan Sanctuary, Bell Inequalities and quantum foundations
I now looked again at the second paper "Non-Hermitian coherent hyperspin”. As everyone knows I know no QFT. There may be something interesting or even exciting in it, but it does not have anything at all to do with entanglement. The only part of the paper I can judge is the concluding sentences:

Bryan: The discovery that hyperhelicity accounts for the violation of Bell’s Inequalities disproves Bell’s Theorem, about which there has been growing criticism, [13]--[25].

Richard: Bell’s theorem (which Bryan admits he is not interested in anyway) has not been disproved; and none of the references [13]--[25] support his work. Several of the authors are so convinced that Bell’s theorem is correct that they resort to super-determinism. Others make really obvious mistakes or just come up with a detection loophole model yet again.

Bryan: Non-locality is not a property of Nature and by rejecting it, a local realistic view prevails.

Richard: Bryan has not shown that a local realistic view (ie a local and in essence deterministic view) explains the singlet correlations

Bryan: Without Bell’s Theorem dictating non-locality, nothing stands in the way of the conclusions of EPR [2]: Quantum Mechanics is incomplete. Rather it is a theory of measurement in Minkowski space, and does not include dimensions beyond our spacetime.

Richard: Maybe Bryan is onto something here. Maybe not. The experts will decide.

As Jan-Åke mentions, Bryan has recovered the correlation function (the expectation value of a product), but not the probabilities of four combined outcomes + +, + -, - +, - -. Bryan's theory does not even predict that the outcomes of the measurements will be +/-1.

<ict.pdf>

Jan-Åke Larsson

May 8, 2022, 2:11:30 PM5/8/22
to bryancs...@gmail.com, Bell_quantum...@googlegroups.com
Resending to the group

On sön, 2022-05-08 at 13:33 -0400, Bryan Sanctuary wrote:
Notation is clear to me, so you must ask me. I cannot guess your questions.  Please be specific, give a line number. I'll respond.

Notation is as clear to me as it needs to be: you do not specify the outcome statistics, or even what the outcomes are.

And you repeat your mantra "Your paper does not provide a counterexample." which is your wish only because it does.

No. Your paper does not predict the statistics of the measurement outcomes. Quantum theory does.
If you translate into a single probabilistic model, that model is not "local realist" using Bell's definition.

Your paper does not contain a model that predicts the statistics of the measurement outcomes.
It does not even prescribe what the measurement outcomes are.
Your model is not a counterexample.

Once you understand the QFT you will see that my spin is 4 dimensional, and that Dirac's antimatter is not formed, and hole theory is not supported.  All that in addition to Bell's theorem being toast, it surprised me.

Bryan, a 4 dimensional spin does not help you. Your "model" is not a counterexample.

/Jan-Åke

Quite a difference!

Bryan Sanctuary

May 8, 2022, 4:23:28 PM5/8/22
to Richard Gill, Scott Glancy, Bell Inequalities and quantum foundations
Hi Richard,

I love your answer!  Thank you for reading it more carefully, and you have almost got it, albeit not the implications. I enjoyed reading your response. Glad you find it poetry!!

Another thing, lol,  I note about Richard that when at a loss he resorts to saying the notation is not clear (right Jay?), others??

I really have no comment because there are no questions.  I am waiting for notation questions from Jan-Åke, but he just keeps saying "it's NOT a counterexample" as if saying it will make it true! Questions on notation, I'm happy to help.

There are no questions from Richard either, just a diatribe of his condescending summary, and speculation about what I 'maybe' doing. Is there a specific question there Richard?

It needs to be read by experts in QFT. I might well have errors. I only learned QFT to understand the Dirac equation, but I am very glad I did.

BTW Richard, by criticizing my expressions, you are rejecting basic rules from the rotation group, and the veracity of equation 11..

You should look a ITC.pdf  I attached. It's an alternate approach to GA.

Bryan

Bryan Sanctuary

May 8, 2022, 4:41:07 PM5/8/22
to Jan-Åke Larsson, Bell_quantum...@googlegroups.com
My responses below:

On Sun, May 8, 2022 at 2:11 PM Jan-Åke Larsson <jan-ake...@liu.se> wrote:
Resending to the group

On sön, 2022-05-08 at 13:33 -0400, Bryan Sanctuary wrote:
Notation is clear to me, so you must ask me. I cannot guess your questions.  Please be specific, give a line number. I'll respond.

Notation is as clear to me as it needs to be: (the "notation ruse" You have no notation questions, it was a ruse to disicredit, LOL, LOL,  you do not specify the outcome statistics, or even what the outcomes are.

My states are pure,

And you repeat your mantra "Your paper does not provide a counterexample." which is your wish only because it does.

No. Your paper does not predict the statistics of the measurement outcomes. Quantum theory does.
If you translate into a single probabilistic model, that model is not "local realist" using Bell's definition.

Your paper does not contain a model that predicts the statistics of the measurement outcomes.
It does not even prescribe what the measurement outcomes are.
Your model is not a counterexample.

Your predictions (and hopes) only, no substance, but I agree a model is needed, but not essential.  I don't have to do anything but agree with the experimental data with a local calculation of a particle that carries both polarization and helicity.  That I did. Usually, with agreement,  we say, let's find the statistical model. So that is next.

Can you please give me the model that you use that gives the right statistics for teleportation?  i.e. a nice physical model, click by click?  You do not have one; you cannot account even for the data, and when I do, you demand the model is needed!!

Once you understand the QFT you will see that my spin is 4 dimensional, and that Dirac's antimatter is not formed, and hole theory is not supported.  All that in addition to Bell's theorem being toast, it surprised me.

Bryan, a 4 dimensional spin does not help you. Your "model" is not a counterexample.

In my Non-Hermitian coherent spin paper, I think you might understand the 4 dimensional property by reading my equations 28 and 29:  but you must understand the properties of gamma matrices to get the implication.

Thanks for the comments

Alexandre de Castro

May 8, 2022, 9:18:27 PM5/8/22
to Richard Gill, Bryan Sanctuary, Bell inequalities and quantum foundations
Richard,
your suggestion is interesting. Our ideas can be published first and peer reviewed after publication.
But I think we should find a free site because science is becoming too commercial these days.

Alexandre

Jan-Åke Larsson

May 9, 2022, 1:24:58 AM5/9/22

On sön, 2022-05-08 at 16:40 -0400, Bryan Sanctuary wrote:
(the "notation ruse" You have no notation questions, it was a ruse to disicredit, LOL, LOL, )

If you are attempting to convince someone, other than people prepared to spend actual time to understand your paper, your notation will need to be clear.
Not everyone will put in the work to make sense of the notation you are using, they will simply ignore your paper.

I am trying to help you. Why are you laughing at me?

My states are pure,

[...]

I'm sorry, what? Teleportation? What has that got to do with our discussion here? Quantum teleportation is a protocol that "teleports" a quantum state. You then use Born's rule to calculate probabilities. Read Section 1.3.7 of Nielsen and Chuang for the quantum-mechanical description.

Once you understand the QFT you will see that my spin is 4 dimensional, and that Dirac's antimatter is not formed, and hole theory is not supported.  All that in addition to Bell's theorem being toast, it surprised me.

Bryan, a 4 dimensional spin does not help you. Your "model" is not a counterexample.

In my Non-Hermitian coherent spin paper, I think you might understand the 4 dimensional property by reading my equations 28 and 29:  but you must understand the properties of gamma matrices to get the implication.

Thanks for the comments

I repeat:
Your paper does not contain a model that predicts the statistics of the measurement outcomes.
It does not even prescribe what the measurement outcomes are.
Your model is not a counterexample.

/Jan-Åke

Jan-Åke Larsson

May 9, 2022, 2:03:10 AM5/9/22
to bryancs...@gmail.com, Bell_quantum...@googlegroups.com
Bryan, you are wrong.

I have spent most of my career building these models.
I know what the limitations are, and what requirements need to be fulfilled.

I am giving you advice on how to build a model that could at least pass first inspection.
If you choose to ignore that advice, well that is your problem.

/JÅ

On mån, 2022-05-09 at 01:53 -0400, Bryan Sanctuary wrote:
Ok Jan-Åke, I have nothing I can think to say against a closed mind, stubbornness and fear. Continue to teleport, until you see it is a waste of time

I'll respond when you have a real question.

Bryan

Richard Gill

May 9, 2022, 2:53:37 AM5/9/22
to Alexandre de Castro, Bryan Sanctuary, Bell Inequalities and quantum foundations
It is true that F1000research.com is commercially run by one of the major science publishers: Taylor and Francis. There is a publication fee of 1400 dollars for a full scale research paper, which is much too big for someone without a Western-style research grant. However there are possibilities to ask for a rebate or waiver of the publication fee. There are other categories of publication which cost less. Slides of a talk can be published for free. I have submitted a paper and said that as an old-age pensioner without research funding, I would appreciate a big rebate. I should think that someone from a developing country could do the same.

It would be good if the organisation started a maths/physics/computation section.

It is also an excellent location for adjudication of Bryan’s bet with me. I’m sure he can pay to have his paper published there. We can get five not-anonymous expert reviews published on the site. See whether the majority thinks that Bryan has shocked the field of quantum information and quantum computation to its very foundations by revolutionising our understanding of entanglement and non-locality.

For a free site: once Bryan’s paper is published elsewhere, we can publicly discuss it on pubpeer.com. We could be doing that already if only he would post it on his own blog.

Bryan says he has submitted it to the Elsevier journal “Chinese Journal of Physics”, which is connected to the Physical Society of Taiwan. If he goes for Open Access he will have to pay 2000 dollars. Otherwise, if accepted, the paper will be behind a paywall. My university library has a subscription to the journal, so I would be able to get hold of a pdf of the article.

Richard Gill

May 9, 2022, 3:16:15 AM5/9/22
to Bryan Sanctuary, Jan-Åke Larsson, Bell Inequalities and quantum foundations
Bryan, what do you mean exactly by “a local calculation”?

Many quantum physicists consider the usual calculation of the singlet correlations to be a local calculation. The quantum state is a description of a joint state of two particles. That state was created at the source. Stuff from the source goes to the two measurement stations. The two observables whose correlation we compute pertain to local information at two distant locations, namely the settings that are used there. The correlation itself is a non-local thing. We calculate it using information from the source and from each measurement station.

You have a new mathematical expression for the same quantity. Suddenly you say that because of this different way of calculating the same thing, locality has been restored, weirdness has been banned. But the usual way of theoretically deriving the correlation and your new way give exactly the same answer using exactly the same information. Nothing has changed. You have just added some poetry which has the purpose of letting you feel good about it.

So you now want to find what you call a statistical model which corresponds to your new formulation. You even said that you would need help from Chantal and Pierre to do that. OK, so we are all waiting. However, not with baited breath.

As Alexei has pointed out, the quantum state can be thought of in a subjective way or in an objective way. Is it merely a description of knowledge available to some agent (epistemological) or is it a description of something real in the sense of being located in ordinary space-time (ontological)? This discussion has been going on for close to a century now.

Your theory would be interesting if it made *different* predictions from the ones we already have. However, as Jan-Åke points out, your theory makes *less* predictions. It is *weaker* than existing conventional quantum information theory (see Nielsen and Chuang). If it would make the same predictions (for instance: that measurement outcomes are +/-1, and would give the same four joint probabilities of the four possible joint outcomes), then it would be equally weird and equally local or non-local.

Inge Svein Helland

May 9, 2022, 3:23:53 AM5/9/22
to Jan-Åke Larsson, bryancs...@gmail.com, bell_quantum...@googlegroups.com

Dear all.

This is an interesting discussion, and I have tried to follow it.

One issue that has been taken up, is that of mathematical models. I think that models are important, and they determine the way that we think. At the same time, models are formed by the minds of scientists, and scientists also live in a society. Quantum mechanics has been developed by various groups of scientists, and it still exists, with all its weirdness. By contrast, relativity theory was developed by a single mind, by Albert Einstein.

How should we react to all of this? It is interesting that a wide variety of different views hve appared during this discussion. Alexey wants to reject at least parts of quantum mechanics because he is convinced that his particular version of realism is unavoidable. This seems to be a minority view. Bryan claims that he has a counterexample to Bell's theorem, but that is countered by several others. As I see it - I may have misundestood Brian's points - his main idea is to introduce a new variable, hyperhelicity, which is inaccessible to any observer, but nevertheless is considered to be a part of reality.

It is also interesting that several of the participants have discussed their ideas in articles, partly articles they they have had difficulties with getting published. As I see it, much of this can be traced back to the process of making decisions, decisions made during discussion contributions, decisions made during the writing of papers, and decisions made by editors and by reviewers.

In this respect, I have been lucky. My paper 'The Bell experiment and the limitation of actors', attached here in the version that I think will be the final one, has bee accepted by the editors of Foundation of Physics'. It also contains some points around my own proposals for a foundation of quantum mechanics. This is based on variables that we have in our minds. I call some of these variable accessible, they may be given values in some measurement or experiment.

The great question is then what really exists in the real world. This goes back to the discussion between Niels Bohr and Albert Einstein. Most of we my own writings are based on how I interpret Bohr, a general epistemic view on the foundation. But I admit that Einstein also had a point.

As I interpret Bohr, he thinks that the only variables that exist, are the one that can be measured, the accessible ones. So, on this basis he would reject Bryan's idea.

I also try to connect my variables to decisions. But this implies a simplified pictiure of decisions: We always have the choice between a finite number of prospects. This simple picture is also repeated in my paper on mathematical models, also attached here. It is simply a model for the process of making decisions.

Real decisions are more complicated. We may start with a finite number of prospects, but then, during the process, new aspects may turn up, and we have to revise our way of thinking.

So, I really think that the world is more complicated than what we are able to catch with our models, in our limited way of thinking. Myself, I have not found other solutions than relying on some sort of a religious faith. I discuss this also in one of my papers, published in European Journal of Theology and Philosophy 2 (1), 10-17 (2022).

This ends my discussion contribution for now, but I am also interested in other views in connection to what I have said above.

Inge

Sent: 09 May 2022 08:02:45
To: bryancs...@gmail.com
Cc: Bell_quantum...@googlegroups.com

Hilbertspace2.pdf
Model2.pdf

Richard Gill

May 9, 2022, 3:55:00 AM5/9/22
to Inge Svein Helland, Jan-Åke Larsson, bryancs...@gmail.com, Bell Inequalities and quantum foundations
Dear Inge

I agree with a lot of what you say.

Here is the link to your theology paper:

I will read it soon.

As everyone here probably knows, and for most of you proves that I’m crazy, I am very fascinated by Buddhism especially the version which is sometimes called “Silicon Valley Buddhism”. More precisely, I’m fascinated by the teaching and practice of Vipassana (“insight meditation”), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipassana_movement. I was absolutely stunned at a recent Växjö meeting by a talk by one of the younger qBists at how the “B” could just as well stand for Buddhism as for Bayesian. It turned out that the qBism people were aware of this but a bit embarrassed since it might make serious physicists think they were even more crazy than they already thought. I recently discussed this with David Mermin who is nowadays strongly into qBism. He too was aware of the connection but did not like to mention it in public. I attach a very nice recent paper by him

Richard

Mermin_2019_Rep._Prog._Phys._82_012002.pdf

Inge Svein Helland

May 9, 2022, 4:12:17 AM5/9/22
to Richard Gill, Jan-Åke Larsson, bryancs...@gmail.com, Bell Inequalities and quantum foundations

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your quick answer.

I am a great admirer of Mermin. I have sent him my book; he gave a prompt reply, but since then I have not heard from him.

Now I have printed out the paper that you attached, and I will read it as soon as I can.

This is my decision.

Inge

May 16, 2022, 8:20:38 AM5/16/22
to Bell inequalities and quantum foundations

Dear Richard and Jan-Åke

We have had long exchanges in this forum, and earlier too, and I have decided that I cannot continue to discuss QM with Richard and Jan-Åke.  Having known two of the most ardent supporters of Bell’s work for 20 years, I realize that their positions are not only stubbornly entrenched in their almost patriotic adherence to Bell’s theorem, but they also illogical and untenable.  Over these years I have been pilloried by them because “you do not understand Bell!”.  This theme of my inability to grasp the essential aspects of the foundations of qm is evident in their continued remarks about my background as a theoretical chemist and generally that if one does not accept the bizarre concept of non-locality, then s/he is a quantum crackpot.

I endured this in mostly good spirits because I did not have the full answer, just the notion that coherence is essential.  Although sometimes I reacted, their goal is to discredit my competence and claim my problem is the lack of whatever marbles are needed to grasp the subtle aspects of Bell.

It is to early for me to claim success in finding that missing property of spin, its helicity, which led to gobsmacking conclusions: like antimatter is not formed and most certainly the rejection of non-locality.  These results are in my three papers under review now:

Spin with hyper-helicty----phenomenological

Non-hermitian coherent spin---QFT of Dirac equation

Hyper-helicity and the foundations of qm--some consequences

Time will tell but clearly Richard and Jan-Åke are either not able to grasp the ideas, or do not want to try.

I do not know if Richard and Jan-Åke are dishonest, disillusioned, or just plain ignorant of their contradictions.  In their zeal to discredit my work they have both tied themselves in knots and this has led them losing credibility, and me no longer willing to discuss with them:

Jan-Åke asserts in the strongest terms over many exchanges that I just do not get it that QM is a local theory and non-locality and teleportation are misnomers.  They are doing it right and my ideas are nonsense.  After all this that superior arrogance, Jan-Åke finally said that the state operator of a singlet state at Alice is 1/2x Identity!!!!!!!!! To get this, he did a partial trace over Bob’s particle in a singlet state!!!!!!  this can ONLY mean that the singlet stretches non-locally between Alice and Bob!!!! And this sank his battleship—he lost his integrity and credibility.  He has contradicted himself and his comments are either disingenuous or just straight ignorant.  The local state operator at Alice is ½(I+signmA_n) with signmA_n being the nth component of Alices Pauli operator.  In spite of his assertions to the contrary, Jan-Åke’s is fooling himself that his work is local.

Richard, no less arrogant in his defense by asserting that Bell’s Theorem is fine and dandy for classical systems but it is not applicable to quantum mechanics!!!!!! He pontificates about the nitty gritty details of Bell’s work and thereby casts doubts and nuances (which he does with most others on this forum who raise a voice against his beloved theorem). Richard completely tied himself into his knot since it is clear from most of Bell’s work, and that of 1,000’s of other physicists who use Bell’s Theorem, that the only place Bell’s Inequalities and theorem are used is in QM!!  Richard lost his credibility by making all sorts of quantum inferences about hidden variables, and then states that my helicity, is not a counter example because Bell Theorem is about classical systems, and I am doing QM!!!!!

I have read many of the posts on this forum, and many people are confused, and this confusion is exacerbated by Richard who calls into doubt irrelevant points which detract from the discussion.  Moreover, neither Richard and Jan-Åke have studied QFT and his is evident from their comments.

The ONLY cogent remark they have made is that a statistical model is needed for measurement. I agree with that, but it is not necessary to disprove Bell’s Theorem. I need only show that a LHV accounts for the violation without non-local connectivity and I did this by finding the helicity. True a statistical model would be welcomed but the challenge is to do what QM cannot, what Bell says is impossible, but which Nature does: describe two complementary elements of reality simultaneously. That is what I am discussing with Chantal and Pierre.

I urge Richard and Jan-Åke to think of their positions considering their contradictions.  They need to recognize that Nature is a bit more quantum than they will admit.  Jan-Åke needs to realize just what he is doing in his quantum computing: he is teleporting and using non-local entanglement.  Richard needs to stop his attacks on the credibility of others when their ideas do not mesh with his.

Both need to study QFT.

I will wait for the referees remarks.

Bryan

Richard Gill

May 16, 2022, 8:34:52 AM5/16/22
to Bryan Sanctuary, Bell inequalities and quantum foundations
Bryan, I do not accept a bizarre concept of non-locality!

I accept non-classicality of reality. Just like you.

Sent from my iPhone

Richard Gill

May 16, 2022, 8:53:41 AM5/16/22
to Bryan Sanctuary, Bell inequalities and quantum foundations
PS My goal is not to discredit Bryan’s competence. Moreover, Bell’s theorem is not subtle at all. It’s mathematical core (in my opinion) is a simple theorem from theoretical computer science, asserting the impossibility of a certain distributed computing task (obtain the singlet correlations by a Monte Carlo experiment on two separated PC’s, when settings are provided by an external agent, and simulated outcomes must be +/- 1.)

Words like “non-locality” or “weird” do not enter into this. Just some simple maths. A bit of probability, a bit of statistics, or alternatively, a bit of Fourier theory.

This task seems to be the task that Bryan hopes that Chantal and Pierre will achieve for him. He refuses to read my own expositions of this theorem because they are too long.

Oh well, we’ll wait and see how well Chantal and Pierre do. As I understand it, they are presently missing some further specifications from Bryan.

Sent from my iPhone

On 16 May 2022, at 14:20, Bryan Sanctuary <bryancs...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Richard and Jan-Åke

Bryan Sanctuary

May 16, 2022, 9:04:00 AM5/16/22
to Richard Gill, Bell inequalities and quantum foundations
You contradict yourself again. I cannot argue logically with you.

Bryan

Richard Gill

May 16, 2022, 9:10:55 AM5/16/22
to Bryan Sanctuary, Bell inequalities and quantum foundations
Indeed, we cannot argue. You think I’m not logical and that I contradict myself. But I see no contradiction in my words,  and it seems to me that your position is illogical!

Are we speaking different languages in which, unfortunately, the same words appear to be present? But clearly they have different meanings to each of us.

It really is very intriguing because I think we are equally sincere, equally intelligent, equally well intentioned!

OK, we should give it a rest. Good luck with publication.

Sent from my iPhone

Jan-Åke Larsson

May 16, 2022, 9:22:28 AM5/16/22
to Bell_quantum...@googlegroups.com
Bryan,

Here I was merely telling you how quantum mechanics works. Standard textbook QM.

To Alice, the singlet state looks like a mixed state. There is no mystery here, it is simply a way to state mathematically what predictions Alice can make. The predictions she can make is that with probability one half, any measurement she makes at any measurement setting gives equal probability for the outcome +1 as the outcome -1. Independent of Bob's setting. So Bob cannot communicate by changing his setting. This makes the setup (signal-)local.

If you want to predict (statistics of) both outcomes jointly you can do so from the singlet state. This gives the possible outcomes through the eigenvalues of the measurement operators, and probabilities through projection onto the corresponding eigenspaces.  Combining these probabilities you can reproduce the correlation formula.

I have remarked that your model only outputs the correlation formula. This is a weakness of your model, that invalidates your claim.

You wait for the referee remarks. You will get your paper published eventually.

But you do not have a counterexample.

/Jan-Åke

Bryan Sanctuary

May 16, 2022, 10:06:13 AM5/16/22
to Jan-Åke Larsson, Bell_quantum...@googlegroups.com

Jan-Åke

You cannot save yourself.  You say there is nothing non-local in your work but your work is full of it.  I am not even motivated to read your comments anymore.  They are just irrelevant, inconsistent and closed minded.  If you and the rest of those in Quantum Information are similarly confused about what is local or not, then the field has little future.

I really have little interest in your inane and inconsistent comments which make no sense.  You have fooled yourself into believing your fallacious rationalizations.

So think before you utter and maybe you will see your inconsistencies.

Your methods and ideas have NO future. If, and I hope, yes, honest unbiased physicists accept my extension of Dirac, then you and all others in quantum info will capitulate.

The Field of Quantum Information will collapse, papers will be retracted and 60 years of nonsense will end.

That is my goal.  The abject absurdity of the idea of instant-action-at-a-distance will be, once again, repudiated.

Bryan

Jan-Åke Larsson

May 16, 2022, 10:10:46 AM5/16/22
to bryancs...@gmail.com, Bell_quantum...@googlegroups.com
Bryan,

It is sad you go on like this.

Do take care.
/Jan-Åke

Bryan Sanctuary

May 16, 2022, 10:15:43 AM5/16/22
to Jan-Åke Larsson, Bell_quantum...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sad. just disappointed in you.   All I have done is call a spade a spade.  I am appalled at your confusion which is stark and clear.  You have fooled yourself into submission to Bell, and listen to nothing else

Bryan

Richard Gill

May 16, 2022, 10:20:26 AM5/16/22
to Bryan Sanctuary, Bell inequalities and quantum foundations
See it as an opportunity, not a challenge. "How wonderful that we have met with a paradox. Now we have some hope of making progress."

- Niels Bohr.

Sent from my iPhone

Алексей Никулов

May 16, 2022, 10:28:00 AM5/16/22
to Richard Gill, Bryan Sanctuary, Bell inequalities and quantum foundations, Mark Hadley
Dear Richard,
You quite right that the mixed state is fundamentally different from
the entangled state: the mixed state is a mixture of spin states that
have eigenstates in different directions of the real three-dimensional
space, whereas particles in the entangled state, for example in the
EPR state, cannot have eigenstates in any direction. The authors of
the GHZ theorem [1,2] made one of the mistakes precisely because they
did not understand that particles in the entangled state, in such as
the GHZ state, cannot have eigenstates. It remains for you to
understand that the mind the observer, Alice or Bob, creates
eigenstates of the both particles of the EPR pair when observing one
of the particles, according to the “orthodox quantum mechanics” of
both the 30’s of the last century and of the last decades of this
century.

[1] D.M. Greenberger, M.A. Home and A. Zeilinger, Bell’s Theorem,
Quantum Theory and Conceptions of the Universe, edited by M. Kafatos
(Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic), pp. 73-76 (1989).
[2] D.M. Greenberger, M.A. Home, A. Shimony and A. Zeilinger, Bell’s
theorem without inequalities, Amer. J. Phys. 58, 1131 (1990).

With best wishes,
Alexey

пн, 16 мая 2022 г. в 17:20, Richard Gill <gill...@gmail.com>:
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/Bell_quantum_foundations/FD3F7B39-5303-4D7B-B9D0-092702972038%40gmail.com.

Richard Gill

May 16, 2022, 10:31:45 AM5/16/22
to Bryan Sanctuary, Jan-Åke Larsson, Bell_quantum...@googlegroups.com
Bryan, you have not contradicted Bell. You plucked one sentence of his out of context and claim your work contradicts it. It doesn’t if you read that sentence in context.

You furthermore have repeatedly claimed that Bell assumes that spins always keep a fixed value up or down. Bell never said anything like that at all. He had said exactly the opposite.

I don’t mind if you publicly insult me, but I do mind if you keep showing that you never actually carefully read what Bell actually said, especially in his later, more mature work. Many people had difficulties because of ambiguities in his ‘64 paper and over the subsequent decades he completely revised his arguments.

You are fighting a monster entirely of your own imagination. I am afraid for you that that is going to make it very hard for fellow scientists to take your work seriously. You don’t realise that people active in this group are friendly disposed to you and that they criticise your written words in order to aid you in getting your ideas across.

Sent from my iPhone

Inge Svein Helland

May 16, 2022, 12:49:12 PM5/16/22
to Алексей Никулов, Richard Gill, Bryan Sanctuary, Bell inequalities and quantum foundations, Mark Hadley

Dear all,

In all modesty I think that I may have something to say which perhaps is relevant in connection to the debate between Bryan and Jan-Åke/Richard, which now seems to be locked, partly due to harch words on both sides.

I will not go into the points raised by Jan-Åke. These concerns technical issues in QM, and should be solved as technical issues.

But the discussion between Bryan and Richard may seem to have roots in their views on reality. Richard dismisses the question about what we see as element of reality, seemingly from the premise that these belong to the philosophical/theological sphere, and therefore irrelevant to science. While Bryan bases essential parts of his theory on the assumption that hyper-helicity is an element of reality. This is an assumption, but a perfectly permissible assumption. And is is, as an assumption, belonging to the field of philosophy, not mathematics.

In my opinion, physics needs both mathematics and philosophy behind its basis. This is quite obvious to me, but is apparently not accepted by Richard.

Is Bell's theorem disproved by Bryan? One can perhaps say that it is disproved under certain assumptions, including the one mentioned above. I feel that the discussion, if you are able to continue it, should go on these assumptions, not on a for or against Bell.

In my own paper, I have other assumptions behind both my view on reality and on the interpretation of quantum mechanichs. Under these assumptions, the Bell theorem is not disproved. On the contrary, Bell's discussions, which I in no way see as wrong, has strong consequences. One of his arguments behind the theorem, the hypothetical derivation of the CHSH inequality, seem to have as consequences, if we believe that this ineqality can be violated, the any person discussing the derivation has a limitation: He is simply not able to keep enough variables in his mind during the discussion.

All this is also based on assumptions, a basic philosophy. I start with Hervé Zwirn's convivial solipsism, which says that every decription of the real world should be relative to the mind of some actor. In a physical situation this actor will among other things have several variables in his mind, what I call conceptual variables. My view on physics, in particular my derivation of parts of QM is based on these variables.

But I disagree somewhat with Hervé Zwirn. He says that different actors can communicate, which I also do, but I see this communication as more important than he does. Through communication, through a common language, we form and develop common variables, not least in a physical situation. My partial derivation of QM can also be based on these varables.

The derivation itself is mathematics, but it is all based on a set of philosophical assumptions, which Bryans mathematical results also is.

It is very interesting that Bryan refer to quantum field theory, on which my knowledge is limited. But I know that there are tight bounds between quantum mechanics and field theory. A final theory, one that could be connected to general relativity, must take these bounds into consideration. QM would need a clear interpretation. I also know that there are difficulties in field theory, difficulties connected to infinities. Finally, I know that group theory is important in field theory. My simple opinion here is that it should not be enough to base it on abstract group theory; I prefer group actions on concrete conceptual variables.

My hope is that the discussion should continue, perhaps from the premises that I have sketched above.

Inge.

May 17, 2022, 3:12:30 AM5/17/22
to Richard Gill, Bell Inequalities and quantum foundations
Dear Richard.

Thank you very much for clarifying your views. I have basically only one comment: I am sceptical to the many world interpretation.

I now look forward to what Bryan has to say.

In Norway we celebrate the National Day today. I do not think that I will be available for further comments before tomorrow.

Inge

Sendt fra min iPhone

17. mai 2022 kl. 08:29 skrev Richard Gill <gill...@gmail.com>:

 Dear Inge