Fwd: This will be the last year for the Maine Women's Ride.

kw...@roadrunner.com

May 23, 2018, 1:00:55 PM5/23/18
to belfastbi...@googlegroups.com
General Email Header

Perhaps you've heard that this is the last year that the Bicycle Coalition of Maine will hold the women's ride.

That is true.

When we founded the Maine Women's Ride 17 years ago, there were relatively few opportunities to participate in organized road rides in our state. Today, that landscape is very different, and in that sense Maine is measurably much better for bicycling today that it was. On any given summer weekend there are now several riding events.

So, we have decided to say goodbye to the Maine Womens' Ride and the Maine Lobster Ride, and refocus our efforts wholeheartedly on how best to deliver on our mission for as many people, in as many parts of the state, as possible. We will have a presence at many other events state-wide, and will continue to hold our signature event, BikeMaine. We will also recommit to our role as the leading advocacy and education organization for biking and walking in Maine.

While the Coalition will no longer be holding the Women's Ride, we recognize that there are still few events that are women-centric. We are looking at other opportunities to promote riding for women and children, including working with others who might be willing to host a women-only event in future years, with our help. If you would like to learn more, or offer your thoughts, please email us at in...@bikemaine.org.

If you've been thinking that this is the year you're going to ride the Maine Women's Ride, register now! The final Maine Women's Ride is just around the corner -- in Freeport, Maine, on Sunday, June 10 - so there's still time to sign on. Come ride with us, and help us make our final Women's Ride the best one ever.

We also need volunteers to help us make the final ride a success. We need help in every area, including:
  • Pre-event setup
  • Route setters
  • SAG vehicle drivers
  • Ride leaders
  • Rest stop attendants

Volunteers at the Women's Ride get a cool t-shirt, free lunch, coffee, and the satisfaction of actively supporting this amazing event.

Whether you're riding or volunteering, the Women's Ride is always a lot of fun for everybody. Sign up here to volunteer! And if you have friends who might enjoy the experience, please forward this link to them.

Thank you for your support.

John Williams
STAY IN TOUCH
Like us on Facebook   Follow us on Twitter
PO Box 15272 Portland, ME - 207.623.4511
BICYCLE COALITION OF MAINE, PO Box 15272, Portland, ME 04112
Sent by jo...@bikemaine.org in collaboration with
Constant Contact
This will be the last year for the Maine Women's Ride.