Fwd: State Legislature Passes Traffic Education Safety Act; New Lobster Ride Routes; We're Hiring!

1 view

kw...@roadrunner.com

Jun 15, 2017, 4:53:49 PM6/15/17
to belfastbi...@googlegroups.com

Legislature Approves Traffic Safety Education Act
LD 1130, the Traffic Safety Education Act, is headed to the Governor's desk for a signature after winning approval in the state Legislature earlier this week.

The legislation, which the Bicycle Coalition of Maine has been working hard to enact, would be the first of its kind in the nation. It would provide four hours of age-appropriate traffic safety instruction to Maine students during the course of their K-12 education.

Once the Governor receives the bill, he has 10 days to either sign it or veto it. If the Governor does not act on the bill and the Legislature is still in session, the bill becomes law after ten days as if the Governor signed it.

As of this writing, it is unclear as to where the Governor stands with respect to the bill.
2017 Maine Lobster Ride: New Routes And More Mountain Biking
Cyclists in this year's Maine Lobster Ride can choose among four new routes - 15, 38, 62 or 100 miles - or participate in an expanded slate of mountain bike activities.

The new road routes follow winding country lanes and hug Maine's rocky coast, past lighthouses and lupine. The mountain bike option takes advantage of the extensive trail network at the Camden Snow Bowl, and cyclists can choose between guided or self-guided route options. We'll also be offering mountain bike skills clinics for riders looking to improve their technique on the trail.

The Maine Lobster Ride is our biggest fundraiser of the year. It directly benefits our education, advocacy, and outreach programs that help make Maine better for biking.

Early-bird pricing expires at midnight on Wednesday, June 21, so act now to get in on the ride that Bicycling Magazine called one of the Top 10 Centuries (100-mile ride) in the Country for the lowest possible price. Register now!
We're Hiring!
The Bicycle Coalition of Maine has a temporary, four-week job opening for a person to assist with the preparation, production, and clean-up of the fifth annual BikeMaine event. BikeMaine is a week-long bicycle tour, from September 9-16, for 400 people that promotes bicycle tourism in Maine.

We're looking for an energetic and enthusiastic person with well-developed organizational skills and the proven ability to work both independently and with others (staff and volunteers) to assist with preparations for BikeMaine, be responsible for certain aspects of the event, and assist with post-event tasks in Portland. Learn more about the job and apply here

We're also still taking applications for the position of Community Advocacy Coordinator, but the position closes tomorrow. If you're a dynamic, self-directed person with some experience and knowledge in community advocacy and organizing, and bike/ped/trail advocacy and programming, we'd like to hear from you. Learn more about the job and apply here.
What we're reading and watching
Enforcement event meant to raise awareness about behaviors that endanger vulnerable users.

Temporary installation demonstrates how infrastructure can be improved to make it better for biking and walking.

Great Idea: Rethinking Parking
Sensible parking policies are taking hold and may be the quickest route to urban revitalization.

Upcoming Public Meetings

June 15, 6-8pm
MaineDOT public meeting to discuss replacement of the Burnham Bridge.

Camden-Rockport Middle School Cafeteria, 34 Knowlton St., Camden
June 21, 4-6pm
MaineDOT public meeting to discuss reconstruction of a mile of Route 1 north of Sagamore Road.

June 15, 6-8pm
MaineDOT public meeting to discuss replacement of the Dutch Gap Bridge.

Make your voice heard! By participating in these events, you'll not only be supporting biking and walking initiatives throughout the state, but taking part in the democratic process and making a big difference.
STAY IN TOUCH
Like us on Facebook   Follow us on Twitter
PO Box 15272 Portland, ME - 207.623.4511
BICYCLE COALITION OF MAINE, PO Box 15272, Portland, ME 04112
Sent by in...@bikemaine.org in collaboration with
Constant Contact
State Legislature Passes Traffic Education Safety Act; New Lobster Ride Routes; We're Hiring!