Fwd: Bike Brightly; Keep Maine Pedestrians Safe; Greendrinks In Bangor

kw...@roadrunner.com

Oct 27, 2017, 12:20:19 PM10/27/17
to belfastbi...@googlegroups.com

Bike Brightly: Stay Visible And Help Others Stay Visible, Too
Bike Brightly Image If you ride your bike in the dark, you need some lights - the more powerful, the better. That's the basic belief behind our Bike Brightly campaign, which launches next week to roughly coincide with the end of daylight saving time.

It's also the law.

Maine state law requires cyclists riding at night to have, at a minimum, a white light in the front and a red or amber light or reflector in the back, each of which must be visible from 200 feet. Beyond the legal requirements, though, equipping your ride with lights for night-time travel is the smart thing to do. In most serious bike crashes, motorists claim they did not see the bicyclist.

The Bike Brightly program exists to get as many lights as possible to people who need them but, for whatever reason, might not be able to afford them. When you join the Bicycle Coalition of Maine or renew your membership, you're getting a set of lights to someone who needs it.

In the coming weeks, Community Spokes and police departments throughout the state will be working to distribute lights.

But you don't have to wait to get yours. Your local bike shop offers a wide selection of lights at great prices right now, so go ahead and get lit.
Pedestrian Fatalities On The Rise In Maine: We Can Do Better
On Friday, Oct. 13, 37-year-old Brandon Henderson, of Corinth, was killed when he was struck by a pick-up truck driven by 51-year-old Robert Webb, of Dover-Foxcroft. He was the 18th pedestrian fatality in Maine this year.

Pedestrian fatalities in Maine have become far too common. To help reduce that number, we've partnered with the Maine Department of Transportation (MaineDOT) to produce a series of Pedestrian Safety Forums throughout the state. The next three will be held in Orono, Brewer, and Augusta.
  • Orono - Wednesday, Nov 1, 6-8pm, Orono Council Chambers, 59 Main St.
  • Brewer - Wednesday, Nov. 8, 6-8pm, Mezzanine Conference Room, Brewer Auditorium, 318 Wilson St.
  • Augusta - Wednesday, Nov. 15, 6-8pm, City Council Chambers, Augusta City Center, 16 Cony St.
If you live or work in one of these communities, we want
to hear from you about what can be done to improve things for pedestrians. You can also pick up some reflective safety gear, and tips on how to stay safe.
Join Us At Greendrinks In Bangor On Nov. 14
Bangor Greendrinks is heading back to Verve on Nov. 14, and we're co-hosting the event with Bangor Walk-n-Roll! Come join us for an amazing selection of beer, featuring offerings from the Orono Brewing Company and delicious food from Verve.

What: Bangor Greendrinks Bikes, Burritos, and Beer
When: Tuesday, Nov. 14, 5-8pm
Where: The Verve, 91 Main Street, Bangor

This is the kick-off of our Bike Brightly campaign in Bangor, and proceeds from the event go toward helping Bangor Greendrinks provide grants that fund bike- and ped-friendly projects in the Queen City, such as the public bike-repair kiosk that was recently installed in downtown Bangor in September.

As always, Greendrinks is a free, family-friendly event, so bring the kiddos! There is a suggested $5 donation, and we ask that you bring your own drinking vessel. If you forget, we'll have compostable cups available for $1, and custom glassware for $5. Get all the info here, and see you in Bangor on Nov. 14!
What we're reading and watching

State officials want to curb a rising trend of deaths, injuries among cyclists, pedestrians and drivers.
__________________________

Walkability cited as one reason why people in Portland are so darn happy
_________________________

Pedestrian Struck, Killed By Motorist in Corinth
Brandon Henderson, 37, became Maine's 16th pedestrian fatality of 2017 when he was hit by a pickup truck driven by Robert Webb, 51, of Dover-Foxcroft.
Orono

Upcoming Public Meetings

Orono Council Chambers, 59 Main Street, Orono, Maine
Nov. 1, 6-8pm

Join Orono, MaineDOT, and the Bicycle Coaiition of Maine to address the recent spike in pedestrian/vehicle crashes.

Nov. 2, 6-8pm

A public meeting to discuss operational and safety improvements to Route 1.

Nov. 8, 6-8pm

A public meeting to discuss reconstruction of the River Rd. and replacement of the Doles Bridge.

Make your voice heard! By participating in these events, you'll not only be supporting biking and walking initiatives throughout the state, but taking part in the democratic process and making a big difference.
STAY IN TOUCH
Like us on Facebook   Follow us on Twitter
PO Box 15272 Portland, ME - 207.623.4511
BICYCLE COALITION OF MAINE, PO Box 15272, Portland, ME 04112
Sent by jo...@bikemaine.org in collaboration with
Constant Contact
Bike Brightly; Keep Maine Pedestrians Safe; Greendrinks In Bangor