Fwd: The Maine Lobster Ride; Free Valet Bike Parking at the Old Port Festival; Help Pass the Traffic Safety Education Act; We're Hiring!

Ken Wich

Jun 10, 2017, 6:05:03 AM6/10/17
to belfastbi...@googlegroups.com

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: The Maine Lobster Ride; Free Valet Bike Parking at the Old Port Festival; Help Pass the Traffic Safety Education Act; We're Hiring!
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2017 13:28:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Nancy Grant <in...@bikemaine.org>
To: kw...@roadrunner.com

The Maine Lobster Ride Is July 23
The Maine Lobster Ride is Sunday, July 23, at the Camden Snow Bowl in Camden, Maine, and if you haven't registered for it yet, do it now to take advantage of early-bird pricing.

The Lobster Ride is our biggest fundraiser of the year. It directly benefits our education, advocacy, and outreach programs that help make Maine better for biking.

It's also an amazing event, named by Bicycling Magazine as one of the country's Top 10 Century (100-mile) Rides. The routes follow winding country lanes and hug Maine's rocky coast, past lighthouses and lupines, and riders can choose from four distances: 15, 38, 62 or 100 miles.

This year's Lobster Ride will also feature a mountain bike skills clinic and, of course, plenty of fresh, succulent Maine lobster.

If you do only one organized ride this summer, this is where you want to be. Register here
Valet Bicycle Parking At The Portland Old Port Festival This Weekend
The bicycle is your best local transportation option.
That's why we offer Valet Bike Parking at events throughout the state. Not only does valet service make it easier for people to use bicycles to get around, it reduces traffic and parking congestion and offsets carbon emissions.

We'll be at Fisherman's Park, near Temple and Middle Streets, on Saturday, June 10, from 11am - 3pm, and Sunday, June 11, from 11am-5pm, providing free valet bike parking service.

You can find the Coalition's free valet bicycle parking at other events all summer long - and we're always looking for volunteers to help out, too! Volunteering with the Coalition is a great way to get a taste of what we're all about and help make Maine better for biking. Interested? Email us.
Vote on Traffic Safety Education Act Still To Come - Show Your Support
The Maine State Legislature adjourns on June 21, and a vote on LD 1130, the Traffic Safety Education Act, is expected soon, which means you've still got time to call your legislators - everyone has two, a representative and a senator - and ask them to vote in favor of the bill.

Too many pedestrians and bicyclists are losing their lives on our roads, and in each case these tragedies are almost entirely preventable. The Traffic Safety Education Act will help reduce these unacceptable numbers.

The legislation, which would be the first of its kind in the four hours of age-appropriate traffic safety education each year, between Kindergarten and 12th grade.

Find your legislators' contact information. If you need help finding you legislators' contact information, email us and we'll help put you in touch. This is an important bill and we need your help to get it passed.
We're Hiring!
We're looking for a Community Advocacy Coordinator to help drive our work with local bicycle and pedestrian advocates throughout Maine. This person will manage our nationally recognized Community Spokes Program, mobilizing, training, and supporting local champions who want to become community leaders for bicycle, pedestrian, and active transportation issues.

If you're a dynamic, self-directed person with some experience and knowledge in community advocacy and organizing, and bike/ped/trail advocacy and programming, we'd like to hear from you. Learn more about the job and apply here.
What we're reading and watching
Here's a hint: bikes are not toys, they're a perfectly valid means of transportation.

In 2013 alone, total costs were $24.4 billion - about double the amount for all occupational illnesses, a study finds.

Inside The Cut-Throat World Of Toddler Bike Racing
Is intense competition good for the tiniest of competitors?

Upcoming Public Meetings

June 12, 6-8pm
MaineDOT public meeting to discuss replacement of the large culvert on Route 117.

June 15, 6-8pm
MaineDOT public meeting to discuss replacement of the Burnham Bridge.

Make your voice heard! By participating in these events, you'll not only be supporting biking and walking initiatives throughout the state, but taking part in the democratic process and making a big difference.

STAY IN TOUCH
Like us on Facebook   Follow us
                                                        on Twitter
PO Box 15272 Portland, ME - 207.623.4511
BICYCLE COALITION OF MAINE, PO Box 15272, Portland, ME 04112
Sent by in...@bikemaine.org in collaboration with
Constant
                                                          Contact