Lug Meet 27/10/2010

Philip Herron

Oct 25, 2010, 10:57:34 AM10/25/10
to belfas...@googlegroups.com, belfast-hackspa...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

Please join me (hopefully us) at the Tap House (in Lower Crescent, just
off Botanic Avenue) from about 6pm on Wednesday 27th October until at
least 9pm. People should be there from around 6ish.

There are no planned topics for discussion except whatever comes to mind
on the night. So far we've managed to get sitting on the slightly raised
area just to the left when you go through the door, so that's a good
place to look if you haven't been before.

Though some topics for the evening could include:

* The Hacker-space SU Event.

* Ubuntu release
- http://www.ubuntu.com/
- http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2010/10/ars-reviews-ubuntu-1010-wip.ars

* Go-lang part of GCC 4.6
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODcwOQ

* Skype on Android
- http://androidandme.com/2010/10/applications/skype-comes-to-all-android-2-x-phones-lacks-wifi-calling-in-u-s/

Note i have cc'd the Belfast Hacker-space check them out:
http://groups.google.com/group/belfast-hackspace-working-group
You are all more than welcome to come along to our meets, we should
grow our community and join events as much as possible to generate
enthusiasm from people!

Hope to see you all there!

--Phil

Andrew Bolster

Oct 25, 2010, 11:41:30 AM10/25/10
to belfast-hackspa...@googlegroups.com, belfas...@googlegroups.com
I'll be in at 6 but will have to dart over the the parlour for 7 for the hackerspace meeting which is on the same night; infuture I'm considering moving the hackerspace meetings to the taphouse to eliminate any more conflicts (but £2.50 black russians will be hard to pass up!) and will ask the opinions of the other hackerspacers on the night.

Regards
Andrew Bolster

I enjoy the massacre of ads. This sentence will slaughter ads without a messy bloodbath.

Personal

Oct 25, 2010, 11:42:59 AM10/25/10
to belfast-hackspa...@googlegroups.com, belfas...@googlegroups.com

I'll be in at 6 but will have to dart over the the parlour for 7 for the hackerspace meeting which is on the same night; infuture I'm considering moving the hackerspace meetings to the taphouse to eliminate any more conflicts (but £2.50 black russians will be hard to pass up!) and will ask the opinions of the other hackerspacers on the night.

Philip Herron

Oct 25, 2010, 12:07:12 PM10/25/10
On 25 October 2010 16:41, Andrew Bolster <m...@andrewbolster.info> wrote:

> I'll be in at 6 but will have to dart over the the parlour for 7 for the hackerspace meeting which is on the
> same night; infuture I'm considering moving the hackerspace meetings to the taphouse to eliminate any
> more conflicts (but £2.50 black russians will be hard to pass up!) and will ask the opinions of the other
> hackerspacers on the night.

Reverting this to Plain Text, but yeah that would be nice unless we
just merge it as Blug+Hackerspace Meet.

Sorry to everyone for this late mail reminder I've been pretty
preoccupied with stuff but it all seems to be settling down now.

--Phil

Andrew Bolster

Oct 25, 2010, 12:15:10 PM10/25/10
to Belfast Hackspace Working Group
This is what happens when you try and use a googleapps catch-all
account to work across multiple groups :S Note to self; stick to the
web interface :D

I'd certainly be happy enough to merge; one of the minor issues we've
been having in terms of the hackerspace meetups is that when less-than-
the-expected people turn up that the conversation sometimes stagnates
around one or two topics and people not-related-to-the-subject can get
bored; amalgamating into a larger overall group would mean that theres
more opportunity for disparate conversations (or arguments! I had it
out with a guy at the hackathon about VIM/emacs (capitalisation
intentional :P )

The flipside would be that some specificity could be lost, but it'd be
a fun experiment!

David Kane

Oct 25, 2010, 12:22:23 PM10/25/10
to belfast-hackspa...@googlegroups.com
Curses! No more non-existent £1 pizzas because they've run out of dough by the time you find your fellow hackerspace members tucked away in a weird corner of the Parlour... :-P

Andrew Bolster

Oct 25, 2010, 12:23:54 PM10/25/10
to Belfast Hackspace Working Group
now that we know we can book ahead of time, theres no reason for that
to be a problem. Well, except for the pizzas, but thats not a problem
if people arrive on time *hint*

On Oct 25, 5:22 pm, David Kane <lakestudios...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Curses! No more non-existent £1 pizzas because they've run out of dough by
> the time you find your fellow hackerspace members tucked away in a weird
> corner of the Parlour... :-P
>
> > belfast-hackspace-wor...@googlegroups.com<belfast-hacksp ace-working-group%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .

David Kane

Oct 25, 2010, 12:27:58 PM10/25/10
to belfast-hackspa...@googlegroups.com
Now, to be fair, I arrived at 7 on the dot, looked around, couldn't find you lot, whipped out the netbook to try and see if the facebook group had any info, failed to get a signal, decamped to the Space, phoned people, looked on facebook, saw your location, went back over, had what I thought was a very thorough look, sat for five minutes, went back out, returned to the Space, considering nicking the BBC's very nice lights, went to the toilet, cursed, went back down, got phoned by Ben who was outside for a smoke, got directions, saw Reidy wandering around lost as well, finally found you and then was told there was no damn pizza dough!

:-D

So, there you have it. :-P

Andrew Bolster

Oct 25, 2010, 12:33:20 PM10/25/10
to Belfast Hackspace Working Group
Moral of the story? Use depth-first searching :D