Adobe Flex 3 and SEO

Jochen Hebbrecht

Feb 18, 2009, 4:24:37 AM2/18/09
to BeJUG
Hi,

I'm planning to change my personal website from a PHP CMS system to a
Flex 3 CMS system.
However, I'm still worried about the SEO strategy for Flex sites. I
can't find an article which convinces me that there's a distinguished
solution for crawling the content of my website.

There are a lot of articles to find on the internet (http://
www.google.be/search?hl=nl&q=adobe+flex+3+seo&btnG=Google+zoeken&meta=),
but none of them seems to be "the one" for me.

Any Flex developers who have some tips?

Regards,
Jochen

Jo Voordeckers

Feb 18, 2009, 4:45:50 AM2/18/09
to be...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jochen,

The only way that really works is to provide your content in an HTML output as well (no need for fancy formatting and layout as it's only for the GoogleBot), then when users browse the HTML page coming from Google, include a JavaScript redirect to the page hosting the Flex app.

Good luck!

Grtz,

Jo
--
- Jo

Stephan

Feb 18, 2009, 5:34:45 AM2/18/09
to BeJUG
An example of this approach can be found @ Parleys.com :)

-Stephan

Jochen Hebbrecht

Feb 19, 2009, 4:38:43 AM2/19/09
to BeJUG
@Jo: so I would need something like this:

general-file.html
-> contains links to other html pages
--> a.html
--> b.html

And then in a.html, I have to put:
<title>
<javascript redirecting to Flex 3 page>

Correct? Should be easy to make this dynamically. I could write a job
that generates the file(s) every 3 days or so ...

@Stephan: I watched your talk on Parleys.com (V2 beta). At that moment
of speaking, you said you didn't found a solution yet. Nevertheless,
you were hoping that somebody of Google was present in the room ;-).
Thnx for your tip! I think you use Confluence as a kind of wrapper
around your Flex application. Is that correct?

Jo Voordeckers

Feb 19, 2009, 4:59:10 AM2/19/09
to be...@googlegroups.com
Jochen,

You don't need HTML files per se... some web framework in Java, PHP or whatever your webhost supports to output HTML formatting will do.

Grtz,

Jo
--
- Jo

Stephan

Feb 19, 2009, 2:30:53 PM2/19/09
to BeJUG
Correct, the current Parleys.com site uses Confluence as a lightweight
"CMS" back-end system.
The next version (in beta Q2-09) is completely rewritten using the
Spring framework :)

Stephan

On Feb 19, 10:38 am, Jochen Hebbrecht <jochenhebbre...@gmail.com>