Best way to replace a incorrect length song

David Grindle

Sep 28, 2018, 5:34:23 PM9/28/18
to beets
Just as the subject says what is the appropriate way to replace a song? Here are the following scenarios that I tried to no avail:

1) This was the most logical way by using the -s on the import. However, when it came down to it everything worked out except it stored my file in Non-Albums and not under the appropriate Artist-Album subfolder.
2) as a regular import trying to override the file. Doing this prompted what album set it was part of when it matched it said i was missing the other 11 files and if i wanted to [S]kip new, Keep both, Remove old, Merge all? None of these really fit my needs as doing any of those screwed up everything..
  • [S]kip just did nothing
  • [K]eep Both  kinda works but I really didn't want the old one since it was the wrong song version
  • [R]emove old replaces all 11 songs with this 1 song lol. That isn't going to work
  • [M]erge all same as keep both
3) One iteration i did but don't remember the process resulted in everything being proper but it creating a second subfolder for the album with the extention of [233] the tags and everything were correct but the file location wasn't exactly uniform.
4) I kind of solved it by going in deleting the offending song beforehand manually. Then doing a  beet update. Then going through option 2 again but choosing Merge all this time.

Has anyone else been through this before? Maybe i'm completely missing something here but it seems awfully difficult just to replace a song in the proper way.

Adrian Sampson

Sep 29, 2018, 9:34:24 AM9/29/18
to beets
This, for what it’s worth, is exactly what I’d recommend:

> 4) I kind of solved it by going in deleting the offending song beforehand manually. Then doing a beet update. Then going through option 2 again but choosing Merge all this time.

Remove the old one, then import the new one and merge. Presto, you’ve now got a newly complete album with the new song!

Adrian