Future of the Beer Church Chicago meetup group

Eric Stein

Jul 26, 2020, 11:43:56 AM7/26/20
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

As a lapsed beer pope, I happened to see that meetup was still charging
me for Beer Church Chicago subscription.  Now, I'd idly thought maybe
I'll come back around and join up with whatever all you have been doing
in the meantime but in good conscience I cannot support anyone having a
group drinking event before the pandemic is over.  I also can't justify
spending money to hold on to the group in Meetup when there's no way I'm
going to use it for its former purpose of getting a bunch of random
people together to sample beer and brew in close, sweaty proximity for
5-6 hours.

That said, before we got into brewing, Beer Church was a beer tasting
group. Would anyone be interested in virtual beer tasting / reviews
events, or am I crazy to even think of such a thing?  I wonder if
perhaps, we could partner with the beer temple or some other bottle shop
to put together selection packs for attendees so we could all taste and
review, particularly with a focus on small pony cans/bottles.

I haven't really thought too much about this. Ideas are welcome...

Eric "absentee pope" Stein

Justin T. Conroy

Jul 28, 2020, 2:34:43 PM7/28/20
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like fun. I'm in. 😸

Ryan Pierce

Jul 28, 2020, 2:57:22 PM7/28/20
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I also wanted to mention that Ella, during her tenure as Kitchen co-Area Host, spent some of her budget to buy some really nice, high end equipment for brewing. Last year I attended a test brew, co-hosted with a member of a local brew club.

Also, the Beer Altar, a.k.a. the bar, has had a massive makeover. A chest freezer was put in place, and the bar lid tilts. More taps were (partially?) installed too, with the intention of at least one being for nitro stout. (or maybe nitro cold brew?) Soda was being explored via the open source Club Mate project. And I believe an RFID valve lockout system is at least partially installed, so there can be control over who drinks.

Things are now in place for some seriously hardcore home brewing action. And... then COVID. So, once we can get back to normal (next year, maybe?), brewing at PS:One can be seriously awesome again and worthy of worship and veneration.

In nomine Barley,

Ryan
Lapsed Beer Pope (Eastern Orthodox)

> On Jul 26, 2020, at 10:43 AM, Eric Stein <to...@des.truct.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,

Eric Stein

Aug 22, 2020, 5:35:15 PM8/22/20
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
Someday...

Eric Stein

Aug 22, 2020, 5:35:55 PM8/22/20
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
Any suggestions on a remote conferencing software to use?

Eric

Eric Stein

Oct 25, 2020, 4:10:36 PM10/25/20
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com

Justin T. Conroy

Oct 28, 2020, 1:27:11 AM10/28/20
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
Ok. I don't see any way to respond to that on meetup, but email works fine. I'm generally free Tuesday's, Thursday's, and Friday's. Generally weekends too, since I don't have anywhere to go. 😸

Steve

Nov 20, 2020, 11:21:48 AM11/20/20
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
I'm in. I have no preferred dayt/time. I miss actual people.

Steve Farkas (The other one)