Two adjacent sites were not annotated by gene features using bedtools intersect.

Chentao Yang

Jun 30, 2021, 11:09:06 AM6/30/21
to bedtools-discuss
Hello,

I am using bedtools intersect program to annotate genome variants.

I found a case that is not like what I expected, I wonder is there anything I misunderstood.

here is an example,
a.bed
chr1 10 11

b.bed
chr1 2 10   A
chr1 11 15   B
command:
bedtools intersect -a a.bed  -b  b.bed -wa -wb -loj
result:
chr1 10 11 . -1 -1

I thought the result was like fellows because they both have a 1-bp overlap with gene features.
chr1 10 11  chr1 2 10   A
chr1 10 11  chr1 11 15   B

P.S. the version I used is v2.27.1

Aaron Quinlan

Jul 1, 2021, 1:56:39 PM7/1/21
to bedtools...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chentao,

These adjacent intervals do not overlap in the zero-based, half-open coordinate system that BED format uses.

Aaron