More than one database?

stlyz3

Oct 29, 2017, 2:52:56 PM10/29/17
to Bedrock
With Bedrock, can a server run more than one database or just one? Use case is that we have a few small applications, for now in terms of size, and would usually throw the databases and the same MySQL or Postgresql instance. Is this scenario possible?

Just trying to decide if the six node setup good for one database or more than one.

Thanks
Willie Pritchett

David Barrett

Oct 29, 2017, 4:09:14 PM10/29/17
to stlyz3, Bedrock
Unfortunately Bedrock uses a single database to store all tables.  But out of curiosity, what is the advantage of having separate databases when hosted on the same hardware -- is it just to avoid table name collisions?

-david
Founder and CEO of Expensify (and BedrockDB)

stlyz3

Oct 29, 2017, 8:48:45 PM10/29/17
to Bedrock
Mostly to avoid the table collisions and for security reasons.  Lets say we have an app that is for a helpdesk, one that is used for online ordering of products, and one that is used for patient profiles.  In this scenario, usually we would use 3 separate databases and DBAs or Developers that need access to that particular database gets explicit access.  In the case of each being an MVP, I wouldnt want to build out a complete cluster for each of the applications, individually, because they are MVPs.

So was just trying to see if its best to start off with something like Postgres and then move to Bedrock once the apps gain traction?

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 11:52 AM, stlyz3 <stl...@gmail.com> wrote:
With Bedrock, can a server run more than one database or just one?  Use case is that we have a few small applications, for now in terms of size, and would usually throw the databases and the same MySQL or Postgresql instance.  Is this scenario possible?

Just trying to decide if the six node setup good for one database or more than one.

Thanks
Willie Pritchett

David Barrett

Oct 29, 2017, 10:22:19 PM10/29/17
to stlyz3, Bedrock
Hm, well if you're just doing some early development and not running a production service, I recommend simply running a single-node cluster for each -- that'll provide total isolation.  However, Bedrock doesn't support the notion of multiple database files (with their own table namespaces) in a single cluster.

-david

Subhash Kalluri

Oct 29, 2017, 10:41:42 PM10/29/17
to David Barrett, stlyz3, Bedrock
Guys, I would appreciate if you can make this conversation private, instead of CC’ing everyone in the group.

Subhash Kalluri
skype id: kalluri547

David Barrett

Oct 29, 2017, 10:46:05 PM10/29/17
to Subhash Kalluri, stlyz3, Bedrock
Hm, this is a mailing list about the Bedrock database, and I think it's fair game to discuss how best to use it and how it differs from other databases.  Sorry for filling your inbox, but if this isn't the topic you're interest in I suggest you unsubscribe.  Apologies for the inconvenience!

-david