Has anyone built Bedrockdb on cygwin?

jic

May 14, 2019, 10:27:12 AM5/14/19
to Bedrock

Greetings.

I am trying to build bedrockdb with cygwin, at work, to try to move an application that we have using sqlite3 and a shared file, but I have failed many times.  I am trying to find out if anyone is available here to seek for help. :-)

When I am in cygwin, I am trying to build it, and I am running this command,

$ git clone https://github.com/Expensify/Bedrock.git
Cloning into 'Bedrock'...
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/Expensify/Bedrock.git/': Out of memory

According to a few sites, [1], [2], etc., and I have not gotten it to work.  I have set various git settings to 512m, and I still get out of memory. These are my settings now:

$ git config -l
http.proxy=http://[clip]
https.proxy=https://[clip]
core.repositoryformatversion=0
core.filemode=true
core.bare=false
core.logallrefupdates=true
core.ignorecase=true
core.packedgitlimit=512m
core.packedgitwindowsize=512m
pack.windowmemory=512m
pack.packsizelimit=512m
pack.deltacachesize=512m

These settings still cause the same problem:

$ git clone https://github.com/Expensify/Bedrock.git
Cloning into 'Bedrock'...
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/Expensify/Bedrock.git/': Out of memory

Any thoughts?  Thanks.

josé

David Barrett

May 14, 2019, 11:43:50 AM5/14/19
to jic, Bedrock
Hm, well this isn't really a Bedrock compile issue -- it sounds like it's more of a Git cloning problem. Are you able to clone other repos from Github?  If it's not working, can you try contacting... Git or Github?  Sorry I can't help more!

-david

jic

May 14, 2019, 12:47:57 PM5/14/19
to Bedrock

Ok, thanks.  Found out that needed to set a git proxy.  Now is building.  Thanks.  I will let you know what happens.

jic

May 14, 2019, 1:13:24 PM5/14/19
to Bedrock

So, finally, I was able to to through the git problem: I needed to set the correct proxy syntax, here it is in case someone ever gets a git out of memory error:

git config --global http.proxy http://proxyuser:prox...@proxy.server.com:8080

and

change proxyuser to your proxy user
change proxypwd to your proxy password
change proxy.server.com to the URL of your proxy server
change 8080 to the proxy port configured on your proxy server

However, having jumped that huddle, I encountered a new one, which is probably easier to deal with. The make command does a lot of work, but once it's going to start compiling, I get,

[good stuff clipped]
  CC    util/pem2der.c
  CC    util/strerror.c
  CC    x509/cert_app.c
  CC    x509/crl_app.c
  CC    x509/cert_req.c
  CC    x509/cert_write.c
  CC    x509/req_app.c
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/e608313/Bedrock/mbedtls/programs'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/e608313/Bedrock/mbedtls'
g++-6 -g -std=c++14 -fpic -O2 -Wall -Werror -Wformat-security -DGIT_REVISION=ce62c88 -I/home/e608313/Bedrock -I/home/e608313/Bedrock/mbedtls/include -MMD -MF libstuff/libstuff.d -MT libstuff/libstuff.h.gch -c libstuff/libstuff.h
make: g++-6: Command not found
make: *** No rule to make target 'libstuff/libstuff.d', needed by '.build/libstuff/libstuff.d'.  Stop.

So, it appears that I need something called g++-6. I have both gcc and g++

$ ls /usr/bin/g++*
/usr/bin/g++.exe*

So, the question is, what is g++-6, and how to I get it?  I tried to find it with cygwin's setup, but it's not on the distro.  I tried to duckduckgo it, but I didn't get anything useful.  Thoughts?  Thanks

josé

jic

May 15, 2019, 8:38:12 AM5/15/19
to Bedrock

I am able to jump over this huddle by running this command,

CC=gcc GXX=g++ make

but, it terminates with this error:

g++ -g -std=c++14 -fpic -O2 -Wall -Werror -Wformat-security -DGIT_REVISION=ce62c88 -I/home/e608313/Bedrock -I/home/e608313/Bedrock/mbedtls/include -MMD -MF libstuff/libstuff.d -MT libstuff/libstuff.h.gch -c libstuff/libstuff.h
libstuff/libstuff.h:7:10: fatal error: execinfo.h: No such file or directory
 #include <execinfo.h> // for backtrace
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

make: *** No rule to make target 'libstuff/libstuff.d', needed by '.build/libstuff/libstuff.d'.  Stop.

I did a search on the web on both duckduckgo and google and there is nothing out there.  I can tell you that to build bedrockdb in Ubuntu, you need these steps,

==begin
# Clone out this repo:
git clone https://github.com/Expensify/Bedrock.git

# Install some dependencies
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gcc-6 g++-6 libpcre++-dev zlib1g-dev

# Build it
cd Bedrock
make
==end

I went and grabbed all the libpcre* and zlib* from cygwin, but I don't know what toolchain is in cygwin.  So, libstuff must be a special file that I don't seem to find on the web.  However, there are some execinfo.h hits, but for different applications.  Any thoughts?  I will go back to the bedrockdb team and see what they say.  Thanks for any input.

josé