Watch out for ticks active in the woods

Clem L

Mar 29, 2021, 8:11:16 AM3/29/21
to bedfordma-trails@googlegroups.com Bedford Trail Walks

[I am forwarding information from a doctor who used to work in Infection Control at the Suffolk County, NY Dept. of Health, and now resides in Bedford.
I originally requested the information for posting on our community website and now for Bedford Trails as well. I also found a nymph tick 2 days ago; the nymphs are the size of a poppy seed and extremely difficult to find, which is why they more readily transmit Lyme. ]

"Just wanted to let everyone know that now that warmer weather is here, ticks are more active in our woods. Both my husband and I found what are most likely deer ticks on us this evening after walks on trails this afternoon. Supposedly the thigh is the most common body location for bites, but ours were on our neck and chest.  We suggest using a DEET (or other) tick repellent before going out in the woods, and doing a body tick check on return. Don't panic if you do find a tick; they need to be embedded for 48-72 hours to transmit disease. Just remove slowly and carefully with tweezers and be on the lookout for any unexplained rash (typically bullseye) or other symptoms in a week or so. (Some suggest you keep the tick in the freezer for identification later, but taking a picture of the tick with an iphone helps because you can enlarge it and get a good look that way.)  Antibiotics are NOT recommended prophylactically - and we don't want to overuse antibiotics -  so again, don't panic and run to the doctor unless you do have symptoms.

Enjoy our beautiful environment but be careful. "

MICHAEL BARBEHENN

Mar 29, 2021, 11:10:47 AM3/29/21
to bedfordm...@googlegroups.com
Much better than DEET is to pre-treat loose-fitting clothes with pump spray permethrin. (The aerosol spray does not work well and is not healthy to breath.) Permethrin kills ticks on contact, DEET only repels. If you tuck your pants into your socks, ticks have to crawl on the pants and die.

If you cannot find pump spray permethrin in a local hardware store, order online.
Shake well before using.

-michael.
Sent from my iPad

Joe Mazzeo

Mar 29, 2021, 11:35:20 AM3/29/21
to bedfordm...@googlegroups.com

Duluth Trading Company in Burlington also carries Permethrin in spray bottles.

Joe Mazzeo
781-460-7412
🔥

Richard Somers