Error 1017 parsing the xml input file ---BEAST v 2.6.1

George Gao

Nov 2, 2019, 2:19:48 AM11/2/19
to beast-users
Hi all,

With BEAST v2.6.1 and the packages SA, MM, and BEASTLabs installed on a Linux server, I run a dataset and found an error as follows:

Error 1017 parsing the xml input file

Class could not be found. Did you mean beast.evolution.sitemodel.SiteModel?
Perhaps a package required for this class is not installed?

Error detected about here:
    <beast>
         <run id='mcmc' spec='MCMC'>
               <distribution id='posterior' spec='util.CompoundDistribution'>
                     <distribution id='prior' spec='util.CompoundDistribution'>
                           <distribution id='FBD.t:tree' spec='beast.evolution.speciation.SABirthDeathModel'>

I followed the suggestion of deleting beauty.properties file in ~/.beast/2.6/. However, it still didn't work. On the contrary, it appeared to work well for datasets which are not dependent on the packages such as ~/examples/testGTR.xml, and my dataset can run well on my laptop.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers,
George Gao

Remco Bouckaert

Nov 4, 2019, 7:22:24 PM11/4/19
to beast...@googlegroups.com
Hi George,

Can you check in the screen output which package are loaded? If the SA package is properly installed (and is in the ~/.beast/2.6/SA directory, so there should be a file ~/.beast/2.6/SA/lib/SA.v2.0.2.jar depending on the installed version), it should show something like

Random number seed: 1572912535315

File: beast.xml seed: 1572912535315 threads: 1

just after the header. If the SA package is not picked up, but is available in ~/.beast/2.6/SA it may be because there is an issue with the BEAST package path. You can set the BEAST package path as an environment variable to force it to look at where the package is installed by setting the BEAST_PACKAGE_PATH on Linux like so

export BEAST_PACKAGE_PATH=/home/<yourname>/.beast/2.6

where <yourname> is your user name.

Hope this helps,

Remco

George Gao

Nov 8, 2019, 12:14:48 PM11/8/19
to beast-users
Hi Remco,

Thanks very much for your suggestions!

You are right. I have confirmed that it was due to the incomplete SA package I downloaded manually. The software now works very well.

Cheers,
George

Yeserin YILDIRIM

Nov 16, 2022, 1:09:09 PM11/16/22
to beast-users
Hi Remco,

I have the same problem.  Trying to run snapper. Prepared the input file using  snapp_prep.rb.

 This is the error:
--
Error 1017 parsing the xml input file

Class could not be found. Did you mean beast.core.MCMC?

Perhaps a package required for this class is not installed?

Error detected about here:
  <beast>
      <run id='mcmc' spec='MCMC'>

--

That line in my xml file looks fine to me:
<run id="mcmc" spec="MCMC" chainLength="5000000" storeEvery="2500">

Below is how my slurm file looks like. The packages seem to be loaded. The prgram runs when I ran snapp, but I have this problem with snapper file.

What could be the problem? I will appreciate your help a lot.

Best,
Yeserin.

File: snapper.xml seed: 777 threads: 16

Error 1017 parsing the xml input file......

felip...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2022, 8:51:56 PM12/16/22
to beast-users
I ran into the same error when I prepared my xml file with snapp_prep.rb to run on BEAST 2.7.x.. which version are you using? not sure what's the problem but it worked for me when I ran the .xml file in BEAST 2.6.7 though.