Could multiple runs from EBSP combined in LogCombiner generate a bias in the results? (BEAST 2.X) Strange results

nate...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2023, 2:34:19 PM3/19/23
to beast-users
Dear Beast users
I run 3 different EBSP analyses in BEAST 2.7. I combined the log files in logcombiner and then used  R script following the Extended Bayesian Skyline Plot tutorial for BEAST 2 from Joseph Heled updated by Tim Vaughan.
But something got wrong.
When I combined the log file, the coalescent time was super estimated, as in the following figs:

Fig A – One run:
SingleRun.png
Fig B- The 3 runs combined:
 Combined logfiles.png
I know I am missing something, but I can´t figure it out.
I would really appreciate some help.
Cheers
Natácia

Alexei Drummond

Mar 23, 2023, 8:09:58 PM3/23/23
to beast-users
Did you get a similar result from each individual run before combining? Perhaps there is a problem with the prior on the first population size? What is your mutation rate fixed to, or estimated as?

On 19/03/2023, at 3:18 PM, nate...@gmail.com <nate...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Beast users
I run 3 different EBSP analyses in BEAST 2.7. I combined the log files in logcombiner and then used  R script following the Extended Bayesian Skyline Plot tutorial for BEAST 2 from Joseph Heled updated by Tim Vaughan.
But something got wrong.
When I combined the log file, the coalescent time was super estimated, as in the following figs:

Fig A – One run:
<SingleRun.png>
Fig B- The 3 runs combined:
 <Combined logfiles.png>
I know I am missing something, but I can´t figure it out.
I would really appreciate some help.
Cheers
Natácia

<Combined logfiles.png><SingleRun.png>