BEAST 2.7.3 - I can't Load or Import Alignment since new download

James Howie

Feb 16, 2023, 12:16:00 PM2/16/23
to beast-users

Hi

I have a slightly odd question. I just installed BEAST2 v 2.7.3. I already had BEAST2 v 2.7.1 installed; so now I have both versions.

In 2.7.1, BEAUti had worked fine, as had BEAST 2.

Today, I tried to "Load"  an .xml that I had run before in BEAUti 2.7.1. This worked. I then wanted to make a new .xml, so I clicked "Import Alignment". This caused an error.

I thus downloaded 2.7.3, hoping this might resolve the issue. However, since the new installation I cannot Load an .xml or Import Alignment into *either* version of BEAUti.

Specifically, I can open either version of BEAUti, but if I click File > Load, nothing happens. If I instead click File > Import Alignment, then an error window crops up:

#############################

Error importing alignment

Something went wrong importing the alignment:

Folder parameter must be a valid folder

##############################

I am on Mac mini, M1, Ventura 13.2.1

I wondered if you have any thoughts on what I might do to resolve this issue.

Thanks!

James :)

Marguerite Butler

Mar 7, 2023, 6:28:20 PM3/7/23
to beast-users
I am having the same issue with the same error message.  2.7.3 Beauti worked when Mac was running Catalina, but since upgrading to Ventura I get the same error
Mac Pro 2019 Intel Core i9, Ventura 13.2.1

Marguerite

higg...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2023, 6:34:31 PM3/7/23
to beast-users
Hi James, Marguerite,

Could you try the following: delete the beauti.properties file, which is located at ~/Library/Application Support/BEAST/2.7. In a terminal, you can use

rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/BEAST/2.7/beauti.properties

and see whether this solves the problem. The issue may be caused by the default folder stored in that file not being a valid folder any more, and deleting the file (which will be reconstructed when BEAUti starts) could be a quick fix, but it should be resolved properly in the next release.

Remco

Marguerite Butler

Mar 8, 2023, 2:06:49 PM3/8/23
to beast-users
Thank you so much Remco! That solved the problem for me.
I saw that there was a change working directory menu item but it made no sense.

Thanks!
Marguerite