Errors finding likelihood.log and beast.xml.state files

Jane

Apr 18, 2018, 2:06:20 PM4/18/18
to beast-users
Dear All,
I'm new to beast, and am having some trouble getting SNAPP to run with my data. I've been working through the BFD* tutorial with my data, and I'm repeatedly running into two errors, which I've pasted below. When I run beast using the gecko SNP data that goes with the tutorial, it runs fine, so I don't think its anything to do with the beast command itself - is someone able to tell me whats going on here? I've attached my xml files below - run3.xml gives the first error, and trial.xml gives the second. In both cases, the files that its having problems finding are indeed missing, but are being produced when I use the tutorial data. Any ideas why? I'm also not clear why I don't get the same error every time?
I have java 8 installed and have checked that the path to beast.jar in the run.sh files is correct.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jane

Error given with run3.xml:

Starting step 0
Starting step 1
Starting step 3
Starting step 2
Finished step 2
Finished step 1
Finished step 3
Finished step 0

Loading /fastdata/bo4jeh/beast_firstruns/April/run3//step0/likelihood.logFile error: /fastdata/bo4jeh/beast_firstruns/April/run3/step0/likelihood.log (No such file or directory)
java.lang.RuntimeException: An error was encounted. Terminating BEAST
        at beast.app.util.ErrorLogHandler.publish(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.logging.Logger.log(Logger.java:738)
        at java.util.logging.Logger.doLog(Logger.java:765)
        at java.util.logging.Logger.log(Logger.java:788)
        at java.util.logging.Logger.severe(Logger.java:1464)
        at beast.app.beastapp.BeastMain.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at beast.app.beastapp.BeastMain.main(Unknown Source)
        at beast.app.beastapp.BeastLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

Error given with trial.xml:

Starting step 0
Starting step 1
Starting step 3
Starting step 2
Finished step 0
Finished step 1
Finished step 2
Finished step 3
File error: /fastdata/bo4jeh/beast_firstruns/April/trial/step3/beast.xml.state (No such file or directory)
java.lang.RuntimeException: An error was encounted. Terminating BEAST
        at beast.app.util.ErrorLogHandler.publish(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.logging.Logger.log(Logger.java:738)
        at java.util.logging.Logger.doLog(Logger.java:765)
        at java.util.logging.Logger.log(Logger.java:788)
        at java.util.logging.Logger.severe(Logger.java:1464)
        at beast.app.beastapp.BeastMain.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at beast.app.beastapp.BeastMain.main(Unknown Source)
        at beast.app.beastapp.BeastLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

run3.xml
trial.xml

Remco Bouckaert

Apr 18, 2018, 4:04:11 PM4/18/18
to beast...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jane,

In both XML files there is a parameter u set to Infinity:

<parameter id="u" estimate="false" lower="0.0" name="mutationRateU">Infinity</parameter>

which results in undefined likelihoods and the MCMC fails. Setting u to a more reasonable value should fix the problem.

Cheers,

Remco

<run3.xml><trial.xml>

Jane

Apr 19, 2018, 2:23:38 PM4/19/18
to beast-users
Thank you very much for the quick response.
I've just corrected the xml files and set them running again - the likelihood.log files have been generated. Thanks!
Jane

Catalina Ramirez-Portilla

Aug 2, 2020, 2:04:33 PM8/2/20
to beast-users
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to beast...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/beast-users.
<run3.xml><trial.xml>

Dear all,

I ran into the same issue, but I checked my xml file (see attached) and the configuration of the parameter u is not set to infinity, so I am not sure what is generating the problemm (see STDERR(1)). I am new to BEAST and SNAPP analyses so I would really appreciate any help you could give me in that regard.

Cheers,

Catalina R-P

snp3nuTC_H3_1spCIPRES.xml
STDERR(1)

Mukta Joshi

Feb 1, 2021, 12:31:11 PM2/1/21
to beast-users
Hi Catalina,

Did you manage to solve this issue? Because I'm also facing this problem since months.

Regards,
Mukta

Alex Krohn

Oct 12, 2021, 1:27:48 PM10/12/21
to beast-users
Hi there,

Adding to this chain (get it?). I'm facing the same problem and am not sure why.

-Alex

Error message:

|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|

Calculating statistics

|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|

marginalLs[0 ] = -49494.232917120884

|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|

Calculating statistics

|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|

marginalLs[1 ] = -49718.47388197573

Loading /home/tangled/tbc/compute/alex_compute/ast/trees/snapp/yes-admix-standard-priors//step2/likelihood.logFile error: /home/tangled/tbc/compute/alex_compute/ast/trees/snapp/yes-admix-standard-priors/step2/likelihood.log (No such file or directory)

java.lang.RuntimeException: An error was encounted. Terminating BEAST

        at beast.app.util.ErrorLogHandler.publish(Unknown Source)

        at java.util.logging.Logger.log(Logger.java:738)

        at java.util.logging.Logger.doLog(Logger.java:765)

        at java.util.logging.Logger.log(Logger.java:788)

        at java.util.logging.Logger.severe(Logger.java:1464)

        at beast.app.beastapp.BeastMain.<init>(Unknown Source)

        at beast.app.beastapp.BeastMain.main(Unknown Source)

        at beast.app.beastapp.BeastLauncher.run(Unknown Source)

        at beast.app.beastapp.BeastLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

Alex Krohn

Oct 12, 2021, 1:27:48 PM10/12/21
to beast-users
Sorry, I should note that in my XML file u is set to 1.0 (not infinity), and is not estimated. Estimations worked for Step 0 and Step 1, so I'm not sure what happened with Step 2.

Ales Bucek

Jan 2, 2022, 2:03:24 PM1/2/22
to beast-users
I noticed that the error with missing *.xml.state file occurs also when attempting to resume a BEAST run (with the "-resume" argument) while not having the .xml.state file in the run directory.