My effective population size too large in BSP

hojoun Jeong

Nov 13, 2022, 1:34:56 PM11/13/22
to beast-users

efe.JPG

hello.

The effective population size of my bsp is too large.

I am using 80 sequences with around 10 mutations in 2300bp.

Among them, 20 sequences have exactly the same sequence.

Should I put the rate value in the gtr model?

Alexei Drummond

Nov 13, 2022, 11:31:13 PM11/13/22
to beast...@googlegroups.com
What overall rate did you use, and what are its units? If you want to read the effective population size as an effective number of individuals then you need to specify the rate in substitutions *per site* *per generation*.

If you specify the rate as substitutions per site per year (say) then the effective population size will be scaled by the generation time (in years).

If you specific the rate as substitutions per genome per generation, then the effective population size will be scaled by the number of sites in the genome, etc.

Cheers
Alexei

<efe.JPG>

hojoun Jeong

Nov 14, 2022, 3:35:45 PM11/14/22
to beast-users
Thank you for your reply.

I use these parameters.

Substitution rate : 1.34
clock rate : 6.7e-9

2022년 11월 14일 월요일 오후 1시 31분 13초 UTC+9에 alexei....@gmail.com님이 작성:

Alexei Drummond

Nov 14, 2022, 4:59:34 PM11/14/22
to beast...@googlegroups.com
What are the units of 6.7e-9?

hojoun Jeong

Nov 15, 2022, 3:35:50 PM11/15/22
to beast-users
its substitution per site per year.

2022년 11월 15일 화요일 오전 6시 59분 34초 UTC+9에 alexei....@gmail.com님이 작성:

Alexei Drummond

Nov 15, 2022, 5:48:14 PM11/15/22
to beast...@googlegroups.com
Then your population size estimates will be scaled to years, not number of individuals. If the generation time is 1 year they would coincide. Otherwise to get the population size in effective number of individuals you would need to divide it by the generation time in years.

Cheers
Alexei

hojoun Jeong

Nov 16, 2022, 12:03:06 PM11/16/22
to beast-users
If the mutation rate is 1.34%/mya, what value should I put in the clock rate?

thank you.

2022년 11월 16일 수요일 오전 7시 48분 14초 UTC+9에 alexei....@gmail.com님이 작성:

Alexei Drummond

Nov 16, 2022, 3:53:52 PM11/16/22
to beast...@googlegroups.com
You should only have one rate, not two. If the rate is 1.34% per lineage per site per million years then the clock rate should be set to 0.0134 if you want branches in millions of years, or 1.34e-8 if you want branches in years. This assumes that the 1.34% is a substitutions per site per *lineage* rate and not a “divergence rate”. A divergence rate is usually defined to express the per-site difference between a *pair of taxa* separated by a common ancestor 1 million years ago (so two lineages, not one). So the substitution rate per million years would be half of divergence rate specified in that way.

But where is the 6.7e-9 coming from? That seems to be 1.34e-8/2? So maybe 6.7e-9 is actually the substitution rate, whereas 1.34e-8 is the divergence rate. In which case you should only use 6.7e-9. Then the branches will be in years. Or use 6.7e-3 if you want the branches in millions of years.

Cheers
Alexei

Omar Idris

Nov 16, 2022, 10:56:10 PM11/16/22
to beast...@googlegroups.com
0.034 in my or .034e-6 in years? not confident myself as it gave me branch lengths in the order of e6 or 7 I think instead of multiplying it it is dividing whatever value U believe distance or substitution?
We need help.

--
ONI