Different topology from starting tree

Jose Ramirezs

Nov 15, 2022, 9:12:48 PM11/15/22
to beast-users
Dear Beast,

I am currently running an analysis with a fixed tree topology (newick). However, the resulting tree topology is different: some branches are swaped and the tips are no longer equidistant from the root. I revised the runs in Tracer and the parameters that relate to the tree (Tree-height, Tree.treeLength) have values above 200 ESS. I don’t know where the problem might be and I hope that someone could help me.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
kind regards
José

Captura.JPG

HS

Nov 16, 2022, 2:29:24 AM11/16/22
to beast-users
Hi  José,

Did you turn off tree operators besides uploading a newick tree?

Best,
Hovhannes

Jose Ramirezs

Nov 16, 2022, 12:03:06 PM11/16/22
to beast...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hovhanne,

Thank you for your answer,

Yes, the operators (Wide-exchange, Narrow-exchange, Wilson-Balding, Subtree-slide) that are related with the search of the tree are disabled or set to zero. But, I don`t know if I should turn off the Tree-scaler, Tree-root-scaler, Uniform, Up-down-operators, because I have "ultrametrized" the tree (topology resulting of ML analysis) by calibrating some nodes with the Chronos function of the APE package of R.

Kind regards,
José

Shanta Hejmadi

Dec 17, 2022, 12:15:58 PM12/17/22
to beast-users
This is the same issue I am having (BEAST2.6.4).  I added an ultrametric Newick starting tree, I commented out the  Wide-exchange, Narrow-exchange, Wilson-Balding, and Subtree-slide operators. The analysis runs (suspiciously slowly for having a fixed topology), and yet my starting tree is not the same topology as the last tree in my tree.trees file.  What was the resolution to this issue, because I also need it?

mgbran...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2023, 5:51:48 PM2/2/23
to beast-users
I never had this problem in the past, but I just upgraded to BEAST 2.7.3, and am encountering it now. I input a newick starting tree and changed the tree search operators to 0. For some reason, the clade sister to all others changed places during the analysis run. I just modified the analysis to include a monophyletic constraint around all the sister clade species and it seems that this has fixed the problem. I started the run and immediately examined the tree file and now all trees appears to be identical except for the branch lengths. Problem solved?