Multiple Monophyletic Constraint doesn't work

Humberto Nappo

Nov 13, 2022, 1:35:38 PM11/13/22
to beast-users
Hi,

I'm trying to run BEAST (v2.7.2) with a multiple monophyletic constraint, but I keep receiving the error message below. I tried changing other parameters, but the same error occurs every time (and only when) I try to impose this constraint, regardless of other changes. I tried to use AlmostMultiMRCAPrior from AlmostDistributions package (with BEAST v2.6.7), so the run could start. It did, but even with penalties, the trees I got were contradictory with the constraint. Defining a starting tree (congruent with the constraint), didn't work as well. I also tried to run it in BEAST 2.6.7. without using AlmostMultiMRCAPrior, but I got the same error message. Using MRCA priors works, though, but it would be prohibitive to define the amount of MRCA priors needed to cover the information on the tree I was trying to use as constraint. Someone has a clue of what may be happening?

Start likelihood: -Infinity after 10 initialisation attempts
P(posterior) = -Infinity (was -Infinity)
    P(prior) = -Infinity (was -Infinity)
        P(YuleModel.t:Concatenated_Alignment) = -10.738813436382559 (was -10.738813436382559)
        P(BMT_PropInvariablePrior.s:Concatenated_Alignment) = 1.0702128141464131 (was 1.0702128141464131)
        P(BMT_RatesPrior.s:Concatenated_Alignment) = -2.462082084518882 (was -2.462082084518882)
        P(BMT_GammaShapePrior.s:Concatenated_Alignment) = -1.0 (was -1.0)
        P(MultiMonophyleticConstraint.t:Concatenated_Alignment) = -Infinity (was -Infinity)
        P(YuleBirthRatePrior.t:Concatenated_Alignment) = 0.0 (was 0.0)
    P(likelihood) = NaN (was NaN)  **
        P(treeLikelihood.Concatenated_Alignment) = NaN (was NaN)  **
java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not find a proper state to initialise. Perhaps try another seed.
See http://www.beast2.org/2018/07/04/fatal-errors.html for other possible solutions.
    at beast.base.inference.MCMC.run(Unknown Source)
    at beastfx.app.beast.BeastMCMC.run(Unknown Source)
    at beastfx.app.beast.Controller$2.run(Unknown Source)

lilne...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2023, 4:14:25 AM2/14/23
to beast-users
Did ever got this fixed? I am having the same issue and can't seem to get it to run and encounter the same problem where i get -Infinity

Kenzie Grover

Jul 4, 2023, 4:03:52 PM7/4/23
to beast-users
I also ran into this issue. I believe it has to do with the topology constraint barring the analysis from getting started, and you just need to define a starting tree. The starting tree tab is now in v2.7.5.

Humberto Nappo

Jul 4, 2023, 9:07:27 PM7/4/23
to beast...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, this indeed solved the problem. If you have a constraint tree as a multi monophyletic constraint (as it was my case), the option Simple Constrained Random Tree seems to work fine.

Humberto C. Nappo

Graduated in Biological Sciences and master's student in Ecology by Universidade de Brasília

Graduado em Ciências Biológicas e mestrando em Ecologia pela Universidade de Brasília

ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7810-1635