BASTA Tutorial

geo

Feb 9, 2021, 3:57:06 AM2/9/21
to beast-users

Dear All,
sorry or the stupid question.
Can somebody suggest me a tutorial to set up a BASTA analysis (as easily as possible :D )?

Thank you so much
Geo

nicolad...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2021, 9:47:21 AM2/9/21
to beast-users
Sorry in advance, it might be a bit outdated, but there is some instructions here:
https://bitbucket.org/nicofmay/basta-bayesian-structured-coalescent-approximation/src/master/doc/BASTA_xml_file_guide.pdf
Let me know if that doesn't work!

Nicola

geo

Feb 9, 2021, 12:14:41 PM2/9/21
to beast-users
Thank you so much!
I'll try it as soon as possible and let you know
Very best regards
Geo

geo

Feb 10, 2021, 2:54:21 AM2/10/21
to beast-users
Dear Nicola,
I tried and  I get the following message:

File: TYLCV.xml seed: 1612943476299 threads: 1
Validation error when initializing object beast.evolution.tree.MigrationModelVolz (id null):
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Input 'nTypes' must be specified.
    at beast.core.Input.validate(Unknown Source)
    at beast.core.BEASTInterface.validateInputs(Unknown Source)
    at beast.util.XMLParser.createObject(Unknown Source)
    at beast.util.XMLParser.parseInputs(Unknown Source)
    at beast.util.XMLParser.createObject(Unknown Source)
    at beast.util.XMLParser.parseInputs(Unknown Source)
    at beast.util.XMLParser.createObject(Unknown Source)
    at beast.util.XMLParser.parseRunElement(Unknown Source)
    at beast.util.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
    at beast.util.XMLParser.parseFile(Unknown Source)
    at beast.app.BeastMCMC.parseArgs(Unknown Source)
    at beast.app.beastapp.BeastMain.main(Unknown Source)
    at beast.app.beastapp.BeastLauncher.run(Unknown Source)
    at beast.app.beastapp.BeastLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

Error 110 parsing the xml input file

validate and intialize error: Input 'nTypes' must be specified.

Error detected about here:
  <beast>
      <run id='mcmc' spec='MCMC'>
          <init id='tree' spec='StructuredCoalescentMultiTypeTreeVolz'>
              <migrationModelVolz spec='MigrationModelVolz'>

I get the message with both my edited template and with the original TYLCV.xml file
I don't know if something changed in the BEAST2 package. I'm using  BEAST v2.6.3, 2002-2020
Thank you so much
Geo

geo

Feb 10, 2021, 5:13:26 AM2/10/21
to beast-users
Probably I solved the problem by editing a little the XML
I'll see if it works on the long time and let you know!

Danny Gustafson

Jan 6, 2022, 12:32:44 PM1/6/22
to beast-users
Good Morning All,
GEO - did you ever get BASTA to work with BEAST 2.6? I have not been able to even import the alignment, because the BASTA template give me a blank screen in BEAUti rather than the normal options. I am working on a structured coalescent analysis and would like to use the BASTA approximations rather than MultiTypeTree computationally intense approach. Thanks, Danny

PS. I am also working with Phylogeography on a Sphere Analysis, but I fear that ancient shared haplotypes across the species range is resulting in low ESS poterior values in this approach.

nicolad...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2022, 9:47:09 AM1/7/22
to beast-users
Hi Danny, I am afraid that the BASTA template will not work with BEAUti, but it would require editing the xml by hand as in
https://bitbucket.org/nicofmay/basta-bayesian-structured-coalescent-approximation/src/master/doc/BASTA_xml_file_guide.pdf

Best wishes,
Nicola