Can I delete buried jobs?

Gurunandan

Dec 19, 2009, 8:33:52 AM12/19/09
to beanstalk-talk
I am using Beanstalk 1.43 and the perl client Beanstalk::Client.

When I try to delete a buried job, I get a "NOT_FOUND" error. However
the stats/peek commands both do not show the deleted job indicating
that the job was indeed deleted.

The protocol document (found at: http://github.com/kr/beanstalkd/blob/v1.3/doc/protocol.txt?raw=true)
is a bit ambiguous about what exactly happens when you delete a buried
job:

In one place it says:

The delete command removes a job from the server entirely. It is
normally used
by the client when the job has successfully run to completion. A
client can
delete jobs that it has reserved, ready jobs, and jobs that are
buried. The
delete command looks like this:

At another while describing the NOT_FOUND response for delete it says:

- "NOT_FOUND\r\n" if the job does not exist or is not either reserved
by the
client, ready, or buried. This could happen if the job timed out
before the
client sent the delete command.

Can someone help with this?

Thank you

Keith Rarick

Dec 20, 2009, 5:47:29 PM12/20/09
to beansta...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 5:33 AM, Gurunandan <gurun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using Beanstalk 1.43 and the perl client Beanstalk::Client.
>
> When I try to delete a buried job, I get a "NOT_FOUND" error. However
> the stats/peek commands both do not show the deleted job indicating
> that the job was indeed deleted.

Yes, you can delete buried jobs. If you get NOT_FOUND, it means the
job was already deleted before you tried to delete it.

> The protocol document (found at: http://github.com/kr/beanstalkd/blob/v1.3/doc/protocol.txt?raw=true)
> is a bit ambiguous about what exactly happens when you delete a buried
> job:

I'd welcome suggestions to improve the wording. I admit it might not
be as clear as it could, but I believe it's consistent.

kr

Gurunandan

Dec 21, 2009, 2:22:16 PM12/21/09
to beanstalk-talk
> Yes, you can delete buried jobs. If you get NOT_FOUND, it means the
> job was already deleted before you tried to delete it.

Thanks - thats clear now. I believe I was not deleting it, but will
check and report.

> I'd welcome suggestions to improve the wording. I admit it might not
> be as clear as it could, but I believe it's consistent.

Will give it a shot.

Thanks once again

Bronius Motekaitis

Nov 11, 2016, 3:34:10 PM11/11/16
to beanstalk-talk, gurun...@gmail.com
Old old old topic, I know, but for anyone coming across this: I found I got NOT_FOUND when I run commands against a beanstalkd queue run by another user (or user vs sudo user).
hth.