Fidelity CSV importer for beancount-reds-importers

savingsandloan

Mar 31, 2022, 8:07:29 AM3/31/22
to Beancount
Hi, I'm still waiting for a merge from Redstreet but I spent a considerable amount of time working migrating a Fidelity CSV importer I had to follow the form of beancount-reds-importers. See https://github.com/redstreet/beancount_reds_importers/pull/17 , would like to hear feedback.

While many will likely opt for the ofx importer instead, this is useful for those who:
- Go more than 90 days between updating their beancount ledgers (ofx only supports 90 days)
- Use other accounts where ofx support is more complicated to find (HSA, etc.)
- Handle bond transactions and associated commodity/account creation.
- Handle debit card transactions
- Handle in-account transfers with configurable conventions around deduping.

It supports Fidelity Brokerage, HSA, Checking accounts. Does not support 401k (different format). Writing this also prompted bringing some common improvements to https://github.com/redstreet/beancount_reds_importers that may help others writing importers.

-SnL

Martin Blais

Mar 31, 2022, 9:41:35 AM3/31/22
to Beancount
FYI, have you seen Johnny?
https://github.com/beancount/johnny

I have converted my importers to first import in Johnny, and then from there, have a single unified exporter to Beancount.
For active portfolios it makes a lot of sense to do it that way.

redst...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2022, 4:19:55 PM3/31/22
to Beancount
Thanks for the PR -- commented, hope we can get this merged in soon :).

savingsandloan

Apr 1, 2022, 6:18:26 PM4/1/22
to Beancount
Yes, aware of Johnny but it's a bit above my not-a-trader head for the moment. Hope to learn more about it at some point!

The motivation for making this fidelity csv importer was just to try and approach importers in a more open source manner. Have scraped several thrown-together ones before and was hitting a point where I felt there was a decent spread of cases I had encountered to help scaffold things and benefit (and improve) attempts to structure importers better as redstreets importers have done. At the least I finally understand petl a bit more.

Aware also of your other message critiquing 'class + config' abstraction of importers in "quick word about CSV importers" ( https://groups.google.com/g/beancount/c/jMY5cvUfm3I/m/LjwZzp46EAAJ ), but was already pretty far down understanding redstreet's approach by the time I saw it.