Stock Splits

Desi Mas

Mar 12, 2022, 9:10:55 AM3/12/22
to Beancount
The documentation says to do this:

2004-12-21 * "Autodesk stock splits"
Assets:US:MSSB:ADSK -100 ADSK {66.30 USD}
Assets:US:MSSB:ADSK 200 ADSK {33.15 USD}

But how does this balance if the lots presumably have a different cost basis?  The error will either be that it doesn't balance, or there are no lots at that (updated) price...

redst...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2022, 12:04:33 PM3/12/22
to Beancount
You're correct, for STRICT, FIFO, LIFO cost basis booking methods. You'd have to do what you posted for each individual lot in your inventory. Search this group for how to do it efficiently with bean-doctor context to list your lots.

For the NONE method, beancount will let you do the above, but doesn't keep track of the lots.

Martin Blais

Mar 12, 2022, 1:27:28 PM3/12/22
to Beancount
To the OP: it will balance because you're matching the closing leg (-100) against existing lots but the opening leg (+200) doesn't need to match anything.

redst...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2022, 1:43:56 PM3/12/22
to Beancount
OP: I perhaps missed your question. I assumed it was about having multiple lots, but it might've been about balancing in the single example you posted. Anyway, Martin covered that.

Desi Mas

Mar 12, 2022, 9:06:38 PM3/12/22
to Beancount
Yeah, it was a problem with multiple lots, so that's why it wouldn't balance if I put the price in the new lot (because of the gains) or that no lots match if I put the price in lots being sold.

I was able to simply do:

2004-12-21 * "Autodesk stock splits"
Assets:US:MSSB:ADSK -100 ADSK {}
Assets:US:MSSB:ADSK 200 ADSK {}

And added an old date to the new lot to track long term vs short term.  Thanks all.

redst...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2022, 5:40:37 AM3/13/22
to Beancount
If you care about recording cost bases for your lots, that transaction below will wipe them out, FYI. You'll end up with a single lot with a cost basis that's (half, in this example) the "average."

If you do care, you'll have to re-augment (re-"purchase") each lot at the scaled cost basis. I'm sure this group has examples if you search.

Desi Mas

Mar 14, 2022, 9:51:03 PM3/14/22
to Beancount
I see.  I'm trying to figure out how this might affect me.  I do care about cost basis for taxes, of course, so if I enter a sale of individual lots, the realized gains might be off depending on which lots are sold.  If I sell all lots, then the gains should be correct, I think.

I'll see what I find in this list about what you mentioned.  Thanks.

redst...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2022, 3:48:43 AM3/15/22
to Beancount
I see.  I'm trying to figure out how this might affect me.  I do care about cost basis for taxes, of course, so if I enter a sale of individual lots, the realized gains might be off depending on which lots are sold.  If I sell all lots, then the gains should be correct, I think.

Yes, both correct.

I'll see what I find in this list about what you mentioned.  Thanks.

See this thread. It's very similar. Search "bean-doctor context" in the doc or this group which will list all your lots to help you create this transaction:

2020-02-02 * "Stock split"
  Assets:Stock-Options -12.000  ORNG {12.12 USD, 2009-01-02}
  Assets:Stock-Options -17.123  ORNG {14.14 USD, 2009-02-23}
    ; .... you can get the entire list through bean-doctor context
  Assets:Stock-Options  24.000  ORNG {6.06 USD, 2009-01-02}
  Assets:Stock-Options  34.246  ORNG {7.07 USD, 2009-02-23}

Desi Mas

Mar 15, 2022, 10:52:42 PM3/15/22
to Beancount
Very helpful, thanks.