Reds importer for CU

fin

Jan 8, 2023, 2:25:05 PM1/8/23
to bean...@googlegroups.com
hello,

thanks to beancount author and others who are helping out
here. :)

I'm a newbie to beancount and importers, also newbie for
learning this overall method of accounting so I'm not used
to how the negatives and positives end up being what they
are, but eventually I'll get it figured out. :)

when I've made my importer for a CSV file from my local
Credit Union and it does generate output the transactions
are missing the 2nd leg so they look like:

====

2022-12-31 * "SAVINGS" "DIVIDEND PAYMENT "
Assets:CU:SAV 0.14 USD

2023-01-05 * "SAVINGS" "SHARE WITHDRAWAL "
Assets:CU:SAV -52.67 USD

====

how do I get them to generate that 2nd part?

and as a follow on question how do I get the 2nd leg to match
with any other exisiting account when it is a transfer instead
of a withdrawal? in the last line above that withdrawal is
really a transfer to another account and it would be nice if it
would just generate the credit to that other account. The hard
part is that some withdrawals are really withdrawals and there's
no way to know that unless there's no matching entry in any other
place so that would be like a default account entry like
Assets:CASH.

does it help to combine the CSV files for each account together
for scanning and importing or shouldn't that matter in the end?

So far I'm reading through various examples and on-line
references as I can but I'm missing something someplace.

I am following this list so no direct replies are needed.

thanks! :)

fin

Red S

Jan 8, 2023, 8:04:56 PM1/8/23
to Beancount
1. I use smart_importer for banking. See https://reds-rants.netlify.app/personal-finance/automatically-categorizing-postings/ for a more complete answer. beancount_reds_importers also has an example you can run.

2. I use zerosum accounts for transfers. SEe

smart_importer or coding it yourself will help if there is *some* way to distinguish withdrawals from transfers (eg: predictable amounts). If not, you'll have to do it manually.