Importers for Japan financial institutions

Rick Lan

May 17, 2024, 8:17:31 AMMay 17
to Beancount
Dear all,

I have been an user for some time. I have not found importers for Japan financial institutions so I wrote my own. I have been using them for my own ledger with a couple years of data. I've clean up the code and publish them on Github: https://github.com/rlan/beancount-multitool

The main contribution is how to ingest CSV files from Japan banks and credit card. The transaction categorization is not yet published, but I use regular expressions.

Best Regards,
Rick

Introduction:

Beancount Multitool is a collection of command-line Python scripts that reads financial data from financial institutions and converts them to Beancount files.

The following banks are supported:

What these scripts can do:

  • Read raw CSV files downloaded from each institution's website.
  • Label debit and credit transactions to respective account types.
    • Debit: Expenses:JP:Unknown:NameOfInstitution
    • Credit: Income:JP:Unknown:NameOfInstitution

What these scripts can not (yet) do:

  • Label transactions with different sub-accounts, e.g., Expenses:JP:Food:Grocery or Expenses:JP:Food:Restaurant.

How to use these scripts in my workflow?

  1. Download the raw CSV files from a financial institutions.
  2. Run the matching script.
  3. Include the output.bean file in my ledger.
  4. Manually edit that Beancount file to my needs.