v3 installation, testing, docs

Eric Altendorf

Jun 25, 2024, 4:23:13 PM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to bean...@googlegroups.com
https://github.com/beancount/beancount?tab=readme-ov-file
still says v3 is unstable and kinda suggests using v2 as the "current" stable version.  I recommend making it clearer that v3 is the default current version to use now, and remarking that some 3rd party systems (e.g. fava) may require use of the old otherwise deprecated v2.

That page also links to this document for installation instructions:
but this is also for v2.  Is there a v3?

It also links to this as canonical documentation:
which also has these installation instructions, which reference v2:

One comment is that I think these are confusing for new users (it was certainly confusing to me when I first arrived here whether v2 or v3 was recommended, and I frequently found myself accidentally referencing docs for the wrong version)

Second is a question, for me specifically right now I'd like to revisit my cost-basis PR, which means I'd like to get beancount set up in dev mode where I can make changes and run the test suite.  What's the right way to do this?

Eric Altendorf

Jun 25, 2024, 4:25:33 PM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to bean...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I forgot, I think I mentioned this before, but the v2 install doc:

links to a supposed v3 install doc at this url:

however that's a 404.

Martin Blais

Jun 26, 2024, 11:58:17 PM (3 days ago) Jun 26
to bean...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for pointing out doc updates need Eric, I'll fix those when I can find some time.