Re: [beamer-class] Mixture of \only and \onslide

Mark Yagnatinsky

Apr 20, 2016, 2:25:50 PM4/20/16
to beamer...@googlegroups.com
In the future, I suggest you ask such questions at tex.stackexchange.com.  They have wizards far wiser and mightier than I.  I asked your question there and got this simple gem:

\begin{itemize}
\item\alt<1>{Foo}{I replace Foo}
\item\alt<1>{Bar}{I replace Bar}
\item<2> I am new!
\end{itemize}

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 8:56 AM, Lukas Barth <tinl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm having two chunks of \items inside an itemize, and I want to replace the first chunk with the second chunk on click. What I currently do is to wrap both chunks in appropriate \only<>s, like this:

\begin{itemize}
 \only<1> {
  \item Foo
  \item Bar
 }

Jan Bredereke

Apr 21, 2016, 3:42:32 AM4/21/16
to beamer...@googlegroups.com
I don't completely agree with the second proposal:

> In the future, I suggest you ask such questions at tex.stackexchange.com.
> They have wizards far wiser and mightier than I. I asked your question
> there and got this simple gem:
>
> \begin{itemize}
> \item\alt<1>{Foo}{I replace Foo}
> \item\alt<1>{Bar}{I replace Bar}
> \item<2> I am new!
> \end{itemize}
>
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/305290/beamer-overprint-with-itemize/305377#305377

There are two reasons:

- The \only in the first proposal makes the other version completely
invisible, while the above "\item<2>" leaves it dimly visible.

- If I want to have more than two overlays, the nested \alt become
clumsy, while a list of \only sections does not suffer from this.

Unfortunately, I was not allowed to put this comment on StackExchange,
since I do not have enough reputation points there. So I put it here.

Regards,
Jan

--
Prof. Dr. Jan Bredereke
University of Applied Sciences Bremen, Germany.

Mark Yagnatinsky

Apr 22, 2016, 1:59:41 AM4/22/16
to beamer...@googlegroups.com
I agree that maybe the alt could become clumsy if you have lots of overlays, but if \item<2> is dimly visible for you, then you are not using the default settings.  \item<2> is completely invisible for me.