Linux PDF viewer?

Benedict Holland

Aug 4, 2015, 4:57:05 PM8/4/15
to beamer...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I upgraded to Ubuntu 15.04 and apparently acroread is no longer supported. I need to be able to view presentation slides in presentation mode. Does anyone have a pdf viewer that can do this, exactly like acroread?

Thanks,
~Ben

Fernando Tricas García

Aug 4, 2015, 5:14:40 PM8/4/15
to beamer...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

evince works well for this. And it has a fullscreen mode.

Best regards,

Susumu Tanimura

Aug 4, 2015, 10:40:32 PM8/4/15
to beamer...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

My preference is for imopressive rather than evince.
> --

谷村 晋 <arum...@gmail.com>

Markus Kuhn

Aug 6, 2015, 4:52:43 PM8/6/15
to LaTeX Beamer class
Okular is now a very credible replacement for acroread. Evince much less so.

Markus Kuhn

Feb 23, 2016, 6:47:18 AM2/23/16
to LaTeX Beamer class
On Tuesday, 4 August 2015 21:57:05 UTC+1, Benedict Holland wrote:
> I upgraded to Ubuntu 15.04 and apparently acroread is no longer supported.
> I need to be able to view presentation slides in presentation mode.
> Does anyone have a pdf viewer that can do this, exactly like acroread?

To install acroread on Ubuntu 14.04 or newer, just add its 32-bit library dependencies manually, and get the last deb release from the Adobe ftp site:

$ aptitude install libgtk2.0-0:i386 libxml2:i386 libstdc++6:i386
$ dpkg -i AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb

I also did

$ aptitude purge overlay-scrollbar

to get rid of a warning message.

Don't use that old acroread version to display untrusted documents, as it is full of security holes. But it is still perfectly useful for looking at your own PDFs.

Markus

Susumu Tanimura

Feb 23, 2016, 7:29:16 PM2/23/16
to beamer...@googlegroups.com
At least for me, no PDF viewer for presentation is chosen otherwise
than impressive.
For Ubuntu,
$ sudo apt-get install impressive

Giacomo Boffi

Mar 12, 2020, 5:24:14 AM3/12/20
to LaTeX Beamer class

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 10:57:05 PM UTC+2, Benedict Holland wrote:

… I need to be able to view presentation slides in presentation mode.

LATE reply, but … xournal is a free software (for Windows, Mac and Linux) for free hand annotations
  1. that works with a tablet and a stylus
  2. that lets you place your annotations OVER the pages of an imported PDF files
  3. that has a nice presentation mode - especially if you tweak a little bit its configuration file to turn off the UI
    # interface components in fullscreen mode, from top to bottom
    interface_fullscreen=drawarea
so that, in the end, you can present AND annotate your presentation at once.

Jan Bredereke

Mar 13, 2020, 5:09:09 AM3/13/20
to beamer...@googlegroups.com
Dear Giacomo,

Thanks, I didn't know about this nice annotation tool. It works
decently even without a pen, only with a mouse. If I need to present
without annotations only, I will stick with okular, I think.

Regards,
Jan

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020, Giacomo Boffi wrote:
> … I need to be able to view presentation slides in presentation mode.
> >

> LATE reply, but … xournal is a free software (for Windows, Mac and Linux)
> for free hand annotations
>
> 1. that works with a tablet and a stylus
> 2. that lets you place your annotations OVER the pages of an imported
> PDF files
> 3. that has a nice presentation mode - especially if you tweak a little
> bit its configuration file to turn off the UI
> # interface components in fullscreen mode, from top to bottom
> interface_fullscreen=drawarea
>
> so that, in the end, you can present AND annotate your presentation at once.

--
Prof. Dr. Jan Bredereke
University of Applied Sciences Bremen, Germany.