[GSOC] Project: Elixir - Improve ElixirBench

Tallys Martins

Mar 7, 2018, 12:26:27 PM3/7/18
to BEAM Community
Hi, my name is Tallys and I am Msc. student at Universidade de São Paulo. I would like to get involved with the Elixir community and study more about functional programming.

Tallys Martins

Mar 7, 2018, 5:15:56 PM3/7/18
to BEAM Community
Hi, I didn't notice I had miss clicked the send button in the last email. Sorry about that. Here I go again introducing myself and expressing my will in contributing to a project for the Elixir community in this GSOC.

Reading the projects ideas, I got most excited with the ElixirBench tool. I have some knowledge with React and Elixir and I would like to go deeper into this. I set up the development environment and started to
play with the code, indeed there's some work to do. As described in the page, Mucgak Muskala is the suggested mentor. I would like to hear from him or from others in the community the possibilities and further steps I could take in the following days
to submit a proposal. I know the time is a challenge now, but my contributions can stay regardless the acceptance of my proposal.

Best Regards,
Tallys Martins

Michał Muskała

Mar 8, 2018, 1:16:38 PM3/8/18
to BEAM Community
Hi Tallys,

It's great to hear that you're interested in the ElixirBench idea. I think it has a potential to become an important tool for the Elixir (and possibly Erlang) community.

I see two primary areas for the GSoC project - one is working on the platform itself, the other one is working on some example benchmarks for various elixir projects - including the standard library, compiler, ecto, phoenix and possibly others. Right now, we've shut down the servers since there wasn't much happening anyway, but if the project takes off, we'll look into providing a stable server for running the service.

I think some of those example benchmarks could be something to try in the following days since they would bring value regardless of the status of ElixirBench itself.

Michał.

Tallys Martins

Mar 11, 2018, 1:30:03 AM3/11/18
to BEAM Community
Hi, Michal! Thanks for the reply.

Ok, I will finish the CRUD samples for Ecto like the one you wrote for Ecto.insert. This way I can get familiar with all the things and then I can dive into the standard library(I will need help on this) and others. I just got the benchs running locally using just the runner-container, without passing it through the full pipeline of the ElixirBench. I expect to have this done and some other ideas in the next days.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions for next steps.

Att,
Tallys Martins