IPFS and Beaker

Trevor Oakley

Jun 18, 2017, 2:40:23 AM6/18/17
to Beaker Browser
I am trying to browse IPFS but when I use ipfs:/ipfs/QmeAfcM5esSxEU3PDdzS3MZXbvPWYdCCy546Typk95is9b it keeps defaulting to duckduckgo. I am using Ubuntu.

Is there any solution to this?

Mario Pietsch

Jun 18, 2017, 7:05:43 AM6/18/17
to Beaker Browser
Hi Trevor,

I'm not sure, if it ever worked, but with beaker V0.7.0 it's mentioned in the "Deprecations:" section. see:https://github.com/beakerbrowser/beaker/releases

-mario

Trevor Oakley

Jun 18, 2017, 9:40:04 AM6/18/17
to Beaker Browser
Thanks. Yes I saw it says they want to support dat files now.

I am working with IPFS in the context of blockchains (address of the file is a hash on the blockchain). I was wondering if anyone has worked with dat and blockchains or even if that is possible.

They say here - https://exclusive-index.glitch.me/docs/inside-beaker/other-technologies.html#why-not-a-blockchain - blockchains are ignored but their text is dated. Blockchains are moving to Proof of Stake and a lot of variants are appearing onto the market.

Paul Frazee

Jun 18, 2017, 12:28:35 PM6/18/17
to Trevor Oakley, Beaker Browser
The text on blockchains is up to date. Proof-of-Stake is still new and unproven, and other UX problems exist for blockchains, including large downloads and up-front fees for every transaction.

Dat works extremely well without blockchains. Each Dat is addressed by a private-key, and is backed by a signed merkle-tree log which I happen to be writing about right now.

Trevor Oakley

Trevor Oakley

Jun 18, 2017, 2:21:55 PM6/18/17
to Beaker Browser
PoW I meant.

Tara Vancil

Jun 18, 2017, 2:45:16 PM6/18/17
to Beaker Browser, Trevor Oakley
Hi Trevor,

We know folks are working hard to address the scale issues of blockchains, but at this point, using a blockchain isn't necessary to achieve our goals.

Of course we'll keep an eye on developments in the space, but right now we're happy with how our architecture is serving our needs.

Mario Pietsch

Jun 18, 2017, 4:56:33 PM6/18/17
to Beaker Browser
Probably a bit OT. ... bare with me ;)

On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 8:45:16 PM UTC+2, Tara Vancil wrote:
Hi Trevor,

We know folks are working hard to address the scale issues of blockchains, but at this point, using a blockchain isn't necessary to achieve our goals.

For me the "... achieve our goals" is the important part here. ... Users want to "get work done". Most of them really don't care about the underlaying technology. ... They know files, they know e-mail and some of them know dropbox. That's it.

Many users go a really long way to keep their data "file based", but still need / want a platform to share it with their community, in a relatively easy way and "privately" if needed.

IMO this behavior isn't economically useful, but that doesn't matter. ... It's the status quo and changing it is really hard. ...

I do like this dat-intro by Karissa McKelvey very much. It sums up the reasons, why the dat-protocol was developed in the first place. (It's from October 2016. So I hope the goals are still the same.)

dat, imo has a slightly different characteristic than IPFS. While IPFS wants to change "the web" as a whole, dat uses a more conservative approach.

There is still the problem, to create an "incentive" for "players", that is good enough, to host user data. IPFS seems to bet on "filecoins", based on "eutherium". Which seems to be a possible business model. How it works out, will need to be seen. ...

For the dat-protocol I don't see many incentives at the moment. Except as "just an other file hosting service". Which isn't unique at all.

The beaker browser is a "different" beast. ... Is it the "killer app" that can push itself and the underlaying tech to get a critical mass? We'll see. .

Just some thoughts.

have fun!
mario

Paul Frazee

Jun 18, 2017, 8:18:19 PM6/18/17
to Mario Pietsch, Beaker Browser
Well said, Mario. It's really a difference of bets on tech that each group is making. We think we benefit from a lot less complexity overall by removing blockchains from the stack. We think users don't need it, and the product will be faster and simpler without it.