4.3" LCD Waveshare Cape and Touchscreen Not Working

oaba...@gmail.com

May 29, 2017, 9:22:37 PM5/29/17
to BeagleBone
Hello All,

I ordered an LCD Touchscreen from waveshare that I am not able to make operational. I contacted waveshare and they have been of no assistance, I tried their very limited and few suggestions, but to no avail. Does anybody have any experience with the 4.3" Touchscreen and LCD Cape from waveshare? If so, can you please provide a detailed instruction manual/list that I can follow please. I'm somewhat new to this, but I have some experience with mini computers and I believe that I attached and installed the majority of the stuff correctly, but I definitely could've made a mistake somewhere. I desperately need help please!

So far I have...
  • I installed the Angstrom Image to the eMMC using this link Angstrom-Cloud9-IDE-GNOME-eglibc-ipk-v2012.12-beaglebone-2013.05.24-LCD-cape-LCD4.3-v1.1.img.7z
  • I downloaded this touchscreen image Debian-sdcard-beaglebone-2015.02.27-LCD-cape-LCD4.3-v2.0 onto my SD card
  • inserted my SD card into the BBB
  • attached the LCD cape to the BBB
  • connected the cape to the screen via the AWM connection ribbon
  • held down the boot button on the LCD cape while plugging in the 5V power adapter
  • Let go of the boot button once all four LED Lights flashed

However, nothing happened. Do I need to install some additional drivers or something? Please be so kind to advise at your earliest convenience!

Thanks,
John

Robert Nelson

May 29, 2017, 9:46:29 PM5/29/17
to oaba...@gmail.com, BeagleBone
Looking at the schematic,

http://waveshare.com/w/upload/9/93/LCD_CAPE_Schematic.pdf

this looks like a varient similar to the bb-view-4.3

grab this image:

https://rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2017-05-28/lxqt-4gb/BBB-blank-debian-8.8-lxqt-4gb-armhf-2017-05-28-4gb.img.xz

flash it to the eMMC and let it shutdown (without lcd plugged in)..

remove microSD and bootup board (without lcd plugged in)..

open /boot/uEnv.txt

set:

disable_uboot_overlay_video=1
uboot_overlay_addr0=/lib/firmware/BB-VIEW-LCD4-01-00A0.dtbo

shutdown.

plug in lcd and it "should*" work..

* should = based on teh schematic, i don't have the waveshare lcd
board to physically test..

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Robert Nelson

May 29, 2017, 9:47:49 PM5/29/17
to oaba...@gmail.com, BeagleBone
and:

disable_uboot_overlay_adc=1

as the adc is used by the touchscreen:

so the full /boot/uEnv.txt options

disable_uboot_overlay_video=1
disable_uboot_overlay_adc=1
uboot_overlay_addr0=/lib/firmware/BB-VIEW-LCD4-01-00A0.dtbo

Obie Abakporo

May 29, 2017, 9:57:04 PM5/29/17
to Robert Nelson, BeagleBone
Got it, thanks! I'll try that soon, thanks so much for your quick response! Also, I know this is a novice question, but where exactly am I typing the commands? I ask because my Angstrom isn't working, I used a putty executable and ssh, but I just discovered that I might have a driver issue. However, I didn't always. Essentially, I'm asking if I never inputted any commands would it have worked, to the best of your knowledge? I definitely didn't do any coding or inputs so far. Sorry to be a bother, thanks again!

oaba...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2017, 9:35:18 AM6/2/17
to BeagleBone, oaba...@gmail.com
Tried it, but it didn't work. In fact, the image that you provided only corrupted my SD card (and I tried multiple cards, multiple times), so idk what's going on. Back to square one, unfortunately. I appreciate your help though. Also, please let me know if you any other suggestions.

Thanks,
John

djai...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2018, 4:45:55 PM7/20/18
to BeagleBone
Thank you, Robert Nelson.

Almost same solution apply to this model: https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/LCD_CAPE_(7inch) and rcn-ee.net console Debian Image 2018-07-14:

enable_uboot_overlays=1
uboot_overlay_addr0=/lib/firmware/BB-VIEW-LCD7-01-00A0.dtbo
disable_uboot_overlay_video=1
disable_uboot_overlay_adc=1

Just using BB-VIEW-LCD7-01-00A0.dtbo instead.

avmi...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2018, 8:55:52 AM9/27/18
to BeagleBone
Hi all! Thanks for yours advice. I try to do the same with https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/LCD_CAPE_(7inch) and  https://www.waveshare.com/7inch-Resistive-Touch-LCD.htm. I try to use this image. http://debian.beagleboard.org/images/bone-debian-9.1-lxqt-armhf-2017-08-31-4gb.img.xz bacause it has a toolchain for VisualStudio. I modified uEnv.txt as you've adviced, but LCD does not work. Only one "cape" partly workfor me - BB-BONE-LCD7-01-00A0.dtbo. I also tried to find Debian Image 2018-07-14 on  rcn-ee.net, but I found only https://rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2018-07-15/stretch-iot/ - and it works like my one - only with BB-BONE-LCD7-01-00A0.dtbo.

Maybe when I use VIEW one I need to do something else except changing /boot/uEnv.txt?

I also tried to port drivers (make from dts a dtbo file), which provided by waveshare, but it does not work too. They said that I need to port kernel (it is too old I think) and then port driver (http://www.waveshare.com/w/upload/6/6a/XXX_CAPE_Porting_Kernel.pdf and http://www.waveshare.com/w/upload/2/20/XXX_CAPE_Porting_Drivers.pdf).

Also I found that DVK530-LCD4-01-00A0.dtbo exist and for 4,3 cape it works perfect.

Please, advice, may be some one have a "good" dts for 7inch cape, based on https://github.com/beagleboard/bb.org-overlays/blob/master/src/arm/BB-BONE-LCD7-01-00A1.dts. Main problem with it only resolution and touchscreen. And why VIEW advice does not working for me?

Thanks!

David Carrillo

Nov 19, 2021, 1:43:50 PM11/19/21
to BeagleBone