Beaglebone Black add Fiber Interface (SFP)

OMag

Aug 31, 2018, 3:38:35 AM8/31/18
to BeagleBoard
I'd like to redesign the BBB to remove the LAN8710A Ethernet PHY and RJ45 connector and replace them with a ethernet phy that supports fiber and a SFP/QSFP connector.  Has anyone done something similar or know of a specific PHY chip that would be suitable for this purpose?

Thomas Remmert

Aug 31, 2018, 9:14:23 AM8/31/18
to Beagle Board
Very interested in this also! I did some looking, and cant seem to
find anything that might work... Hopefully others have some thoughts.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/fe14daf6-460c-4600-bf90-cfe06dc611ad%40googlegroups.com.

Thomas Remmert
Cell: 936-647-6030
Office: 281-203-0855

OMag

Aug 31, 2018, 9:18:31 AM8/31/18
to BeagleBoard
I was looking at the Microchip family and considering this part or similar KSZ8041FTL : http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/00002436B.pdf

Although the footprint is larger than the current PHY on the BBB so I want to find a smaller package, need to investigate more options.

Also, anyone happen to have the BBB RevC files in Altium? I'm currently using the Rev 5B since I don't have Allegro.

Andrew Elder

Aug 31, 2018, 11:06:00 AM8/31/18
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I would think about adding an Ethernet switch chip. Marvell have several that should work.

OMag

Oct 17, 2018, 9:38:59 AM10/17/18
to BeagleBoard
Hi Andrew

What would the advantage of the switch be over something like the TI DP83630?  I have updated the schematics to the latest version in Altium and am currently at the point where I need to select the PHY.