Logitech Quickcam Orbit/Sphere AF

Nathaniel Lewis

Apr 12, 2012, 6:41:02 AM4/12/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I have a logitech Quickcam Orbit AF which I am trying to interface with the Beagleboard xM.  I am using Robert Nelson's tweaked kernel to keep the usb ports stable.  My particular problem is associated with the uvcvideo kernel module.  Normally, it enables an extended controls list for things like LED control and pan/tilt, but it is not responding to dynamic controls.  I am able to pull the images down from the camera, just not control the tilt.  I'm not too familiar with the driver, but I have read online how others have had serious trouble with uvcvideo and the new kernels, so I suppose the fact that video works I should consider myself lucky.  Has anyone else had this problem or been able to fix it?  Also, guvcview doesn't obtain pan/tilt controls either

This is what the uvcdynctrl program usually outputs (from my desktop)
nathaniel@XtremePC:~$ uvcdynctrl -d /dev/video1 -c
[libwebcam] Unsupported V4L2_CID_EXPOSURE_AUTO control with a non-contiguous
  range of choice IDs found
[libwebcam] Invalid or unsupported V4L2 control encountered: ctrl_id = 0x009A0901, name = 'Exposure, Auto'
[libwebcam] Unsupported V4L2_CID_EXPOSURE_AUTO control with a non-contiguous
  range of choice IDs found
[libwebcam] Invalid or unsupported V4L2 control encountered: ctrl_id = 0x009A0901, name = 'Exposure, Auto'
[libwebcam] Unknown V4L2 private control ID encountered: 0x0A046D03 (V4L2_CID_PRIVATE_BASE + 33844483)
[libwebcam] Unknown V4L2 private control ID encountered: 0x0A046D04 (V4L2_CID_PRIVATE_BASE + 33844484)
Listing available controls for device /dev/video1:
  Brightness
  Contrast
  Saturation
  White Balance Temperature, Auto
  Gain
  Power Line Frequency
  White Balance Temperature
  Sharpness
  Backlight Compensation
  Exposure (Absolute)
  Exposure, Auto Priority
  Pan (relative)
  Tilt (relative)
  Pan Reset
  Tilt Reset
  Pan/tilt Reset
  Focus
  LED1 Mode
  LED1 Frequency
  Disable video processing
  Raw bits per pixel
nathaniel@XtremePC:~$

This is what I get on the BB xM:
nathaniel@kybernetes:~$ uvcdynctrl -c
[libwebcam] Unsupported V4L2_CID_EXPOSURE_AUTO control with a non-contiguous
  range of choice IDs found
[libwebcam] Invalid or unsupported V4L2 control encountered: ctrl_id = 0x009A0901, name = 'Exposure, Auto'
Listing available controls for device video0:
  Brightness
  Contrast
  Saturation
  White Balance Temperature, Auto
  Gain
  Power Line Frequency
  White Balance Temperature
  Sharpness
  Backlight Compensation
  Exposure (Absolute)
  Exposure, Auto Priority
nathaniel@kybernetes:~$

And if I try to inject the controls i get this:
nathaniel@kybernetes:~$ sudo uvcdynctrl -a 046d
[sudo] password for nathaniel:
[libwebcam] Unsupported V4L2_CID_EXPOSURE_AUTO control with a non-contiguous
  range of choice IDs found
[libwebcam] Invalid or unsupported V4L2 control encountered: ctrl_id = 0x009A0901, name = 'Exposure, Auto'
checking dir: /usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data
found dir: 046d
found: /usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml
Parsing: /usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml
Importing dynamic controls from file /usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml.
ERROR: Unable to import dynamic controls: Invalid device or device cannot be opened. (Code: 5)
/usr/share/uvcdynctrl/data/046d/logitech.xml: error: device 'video0' skipped because the driver 'uvcvideo' behind it does not seem to support dynamic controls.
nathaniel@kybernetes:~$

Only problem is, uvcvideo DOES support dynamic controls...

Nathaniel Lewis

David Lambert

Jun 18, 2013, 4:04:16 PM6/18/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if this is the correct list, but the Beaglebone platform is the only one where this does not appear to work.

I am using a Logitech c615 webcam.
I have had problems with pan and tilt suddenly not working on the 3.8.x kernels. They are listed as available extended controls and swallow up parameters without error, but do not act and are not read back correctly.:

List of extended controls:
Exposure, Auto Min: 0 Max: 3
Exposure (Absolute) Min: 3 Max: 2047
Exposure, Auto Priority Min: 0 Max: 1
Pan (Absolute) Min: -36000 Max: 36000
Tilt (Absolute) Min: -36000 Max: 36000
Focus (absolute) Min: 0 Max: 255
Focus, Auto Min: 0 Max: 1
Zoom, Absolute Min: 1 Max: 5

Current values:
Exposure, Auto 3
Exposure (Absolute) 166
Exposure, Auto Priority 1
Pan (Absolute) 36000
Tilt (Absolute) 36000

Focus (absolute) 85
Focus, Auto 1
Zoom, Absolute 3

Setting zoom to: 3
Setting pan to: 5186
Setting tilt to: 5797

Setting auto exposure to aperture priority
Setting auto focus on

New values:
Exposure, Auto 3
Exposure (Absolute) 166
Exposure, Auto Priority 1
Pan (Absolute) 36000
Tilt (Absolute) 36000

Focus (absolute) 85
Focus, Auto 1
Zoom, Absolute 3
-- To join: http://beagleboard.org/discuss
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
beagleboard...@googlegroups.com
Frequently asked questions: http://beagleboard.org/faq