I2C random read not returning correct data value

Hugh Frater

Sep 19, 2018, 7:03:13 AM9/19/18
to BeagleBoard
I'm driving a device on I2C2 from code within the PRU... 5 byte reads are working properly (address, command, response, byte 1, byte 2) and I can see on my scope that the correct value is being read from the device (a microchip MCP4641 digital pot) but it takes 2 calls of my code before the correct value is available in the I2C2_DATA register. The first call returns the previously read/written value...

Screenshots below show this best I think:

Screenshot from 2018-09-19 11:45:32.png

Here is the I2C write capture:

20180919114538.png

Here is the I2C read from the above terminal log (note I'm using the PRU Uart looped back into userspace as a debug output):

20180919114611.png

But note that on the terminal log above the 2nd byte that was pumped out the PRU Uart was 0x71 yet the scope shows 0x6F was read across the bus.

A 2nd call of the read_wiper function causes the correct value to be output:

Screenshot from 2018-09-19 11:46:11.png

We are a small team of experienced embedded devs with many years MCU experience across many architectures, we have a lot of I2C experience, and this one has us stumped.... Help...