BBB - Audio Cape - BB-BONE-AUDI-01 - can play, but can't record

Michael Liguori

Jul 28, 2015, 5:09:42 PM7/28/15
to BeagleBoard
Hi All,

I have purchased a BBB pre-loaded with Debian and have the Audio Cape BB-BONE-AUDI-01 running.

I believe the BB-BONE-AUDI-01 works because I can run aplay on an audio file created locally with Audacity.

Works:
aplay SC_TC_01.wav

Error:  Records only static
arecord -f dat -d 5 -D hw:0,0 test.wav
aplay test.wav

I've run alsamixer and have made sure nothing is muted.  I believe my results from unmuting have made the static somehow worse.
alsamixer

The audio files are being created and have an audio length of 5 seconds.

All I hear is some static from the recording.  Nothing else.  Can someone help me?
I'm not sure if I configured the Audio Cape wrong, but I figured if 'aplay' can play an audio file then in theory it should work from the HW side.  I didn't know if there is additional hardware changes or if I'm missing something else.

Your help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Michael Liguori

Jul 28, 2015, 6:54:26 PM7/28/15
to BeagleBoard, mvli...@wrm4.us
Hi All,

I have used the following commands to make sure the correct things are on.  The issue still persists, but now I don't hear any static.

I'm attaching the amixer contents.
amixer contents > content.log

amixer sset ‘Right PGA Mixer Mic3L’ on
amixer sset ‘Right PGA Mixer Mic3R’ on
amixer sset ‘Left PGA Mixer Mic3L’ on
amixer sset ‘Left PGA Mixer Mic3R’ on

amixer sset 'Right PGA Mixer Line1R' off
amixer sset 'Right PGA Mixer Line1L' off
amixer sset 'Left PGA Mixer Line1R' off
amixer sset 'Left PGA Mixer Line1L' off

amixer sset 'Left Line1R Mux' differential
amixer sset 'Right Line1L Mux' differential

amixer cset name='PGA Capture Volume' 100%,100%
amixer cset name='PCM Playback Volume' 100%,100%

I hope some can tell me why the Audio Cape is not recording correctly.
content.log