After build_kernel.sh

Paul Beam

Mar 24, 2020, 5:41:11 PM3/24/20
to BeagleBoard
So I am trying to build my own kernel for a Pocketbeagle, and I have cross-compiled in a Debian VM, and have the output in the deploy directory after executing build_kernel.sh on kernel version 4.19.94-ti-rt-r41.  My problem is getting it to boot properly on the target system.  I have moved the products to the target and put them, I think, in the proper places creating an appropriate /lib/modules/4.19.94-ti-rt-r41 and /boot/dtbs/4.19.94-ti-rt-r41 directories, renamed the zImage and updated uEnv.txt to version 4.19.94-ti-rt-r41.  Upon reboot, that kernel does come up but systemd-modules-load.service fails, so I think I must be missing something.  Is there another step?

root@beaglebone:~# systemctl --failed
  UNIT                         LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
● systemd-modules-load.service loaded failed failed Load Kernel Modules

LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.

1 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too.
To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'.
root@beaglebone:~# [   83.036964] wkup_m3_ipc 44e11324.wkup_m3_ipc: could not get rproc handle
-bash: q: command not found
root@beaglebone:~# systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service
● systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static; ven
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2020-03-24 21:30:41 UTC; 7min ag
     Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
           man:modules-load.d(5)
  Process: 153 ExecStart=/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=
 Main PID: 153 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Paul Beam

Mar 24, 2020, 6:03:10 PM3/24/20
to BeagleBoard
I'm going to answer (mostly) my own question here for posterity.  At appears my process was mostly right, but I failed to update the reference to AM335X-PRU-RPROC-4-14-TI-00A0 in uEnv.txt, and that apparently does some weird things.

Executing /lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load shows that the module pruss_intc is not found, so I need to investigate why this is since I selected all the pru options in the kernel config.  Perhaps, this module has changed names or combined with another?