Latest (bone-debian-9.2-iot-armhf-2017-10-10-4gb.img.xz) node-red-node-beaglebone not working on BBW

wku...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2017, 12:55:45 PM12/7/17
to BeagleBoard
I've installed the latest, bone-debian-9.2-iot-armhf-2017-10-10-4gb.img.xz to and SD card and have been playing with it on my three Beaglebones
Original Beaglebone "white" Rev A6, Beaglebone Black Rev A5A, and Beaglebone Green.

I've not changed anything in /boot/uEnv.txt, I've just moved the SD card among the three systems and booted.  All seem to work fine so far except ...

Connecting to the node-red server at beaglebone:1880 I see the node-red-node-beaglebone nodes in the palette on the BBB & BBG, but on the BBW they are not there.  They show up in the palette manager but can't be enabled.

Any hardware  reason for this?  Is there a way I can correct it?

I didn't see any comments in /boot/uEnv.txt that looked relevant to the issue, but its a lot different from a couple of years ago when I last did anything with the Beaglebones, best initial bootup experience yet for the Beaglebones except for this issue.  I don't think the BBW is even being sold anymore, but hopefully there would be some support for what is still out there,  Mine has a broken "power" switch and can't be rebooted after a shutdown without removing 5V power and re-powering, but otherwise seems OK.

Robert Nelson

Dec 7, 2017, 1:04:49 PM12/7/17
to Beagle Board, wku...@gmail.com
Sounds like a bug in the octalbonescript package:

Here is our local fork with a u-boot overlay change..

https://github.com/rcn-ee/octalbonescript/tree/uboot-overlays

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

wku...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2017, 9:23:13 PM12/7/17
to BeagleBoard
I'd like to give it a try, but I'm kind of lost as to exactly how.

There is no .node-red directory in the /home/debian directory, does that mean bone-debian was setup with a global node-red install?  There is a /root/.node-red directory but its node_modules directory is empty.

In /usr/local/lib/node_modules there is:
root@bbWhite:/usr/local/lib/node_modules# ls -l
total 28
drwxr-sr-x 5 debian debian 4096 Jun  6  2017 async
drwxr-sr-x 8 debian debian 4096 Apr  7  2017 bonescript
drwxr-sr-x 9 debian debian 4096 Aug 16 15:45 node-red
drwxr-sr-x 4 debian debian 4096 Aug 16 15:54 node-red-node-beaglebone
drwxr-sr-x 4 debian debian 4096 Aug 16 15:55 node-red-node-mongodb
drwxr-sr-x 4 debian debian 4096 Jun  6  2017 sensortag
drwxr-sr-x 5 nobody ssh    4096 Oct 10 07:04 winston

in /usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-red-node-beaglebone/package.json there is:

 "dependencies": {
  },

Then what do I do?

The README.md in the github link says:
After adding this line, you should run npm install command from that project directory to install OBS. Another method is to directly cd to project directory and run npm install octalbonescript command.

Is the project directory the one with the package.json file?  Maybe I'm dense, but I've found bone-debian to be rather fragile in the past.

If you tell me exactly what  to do I'll do it and I'll get back to you as to if it worked or not.