static mac address on Beaglebone Black

John Allwine

Jan 19, 2021, 12:49:20 PM1/19/21
to BeagleBoard
What's the best way to set a static mac address for usb1 device on the Beaglebone Black?

This line seems to be where it is set, but I don't see where cpsw_4_mac is set:

I don't seem to have a /usr/bin/bb_generate_mac.sh, so these lines don't seem like they would be called: https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/blob/fe926a6a4cf5805041878d7df82b58c00b4f902e/boot/am335x_evm.sh#L281-L286

Anyone have any ideas?

Robert Nelson

Jan 19, 2021, 12:52:45 PM1/19/21
to Beagle Board, John Allwine
sudo apt update ; sudo apt upgrade

would fix that..

We should add the overrides here:

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/blob/master/boot/default/bb-boot#L21-L30

Any thoughts on variable names?

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

John Allwine

Jan 19, 2021, 1:33:15 PM1/19/21
to Robert Nelson, Beagle Board
Is there a file that isn't version controlled that the overrides could go in? That way updates to a file wouldn't cause conflicts down the road.

As for a name, USB1_MAC seems reasonable to me.

Robert Nelson

Jan 19, 2021, 1:36:29 PM1/19/21
to John Allwine, Beagle Board
On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 12:33 PM John Allwine <jo...@pocketnc.com> wrote:

> Is there a file that isn't version controlled that the overrides could go in? That way updates to a file wouldn't cause conflicts down the road.
>
> As for a name, USB1_MAC seems reasonable to me.

Just the host side right? ;) USB1_MAC_HOST, should we add
USB1_MAC_LOCAL? _CLIENT?

John Allwine

Jan 19, 2021, 1:40:11 PM1/19/21
to Robert Nelson, Beagle Board
I'd match the file names that are used, which are host_addr and dev_addr. So USB1_MAC_HOST and USB1_MAC_DEV?

John Allwine

Jan 19, 2021, 2:51:38 PM1/19/21
to Robert Nelson, Beagle Board
Do you know the specific packages that should be upgraded to get the bb_generate_mac.sh script?

Robert Nelson

Jan 19, 2021, 4:27:06 PM1/19/21
On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 1:51 PM John Allwine <jo...@pocketnc.com> wrote:

> Do you know the specific packages that should be upgraded to get the bb_generate_mac.sh script?

bb-usb-gadgets