beagle and u-boot v2?

Robert P. J. Day

Dec 14, 2009, 10:33:01 AM12/14/09
to BeagleBoard list

just trying to catch up with recent developments -- what's the deal
with the beagleboard and using the current dev branch of u-boot v2?
if that's usable, i'll just migrate over and stop using v1. and what
are the plans for the next release of the BB? would u-boot v2 be too
leading edge for that?

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

TylerWilson

Dec 14, 2009, 10:36:45 AM12/14/09
to Beagle Board
I too am curious about this. I read the PDF overview of v2 a few days
ago and liked what I saw. I would like the most efficient boot loader
that includes USB and DFU, Inquiring minds....

Thanks,
Tyler

Robert P. J. Day

Dec 14, 2009, 10:48:17 AM12/14/09
to Beagle Board
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, TylerWilson wrote:

> I too am curious about this. I read the PDF overview of v2 a few
> days ago and liked what I saw. I would like the most efficient boot
> loader that includes USB and DFU, Inquiring minds....

it's not so much the efficiency but if v1 is destined to be phased
out, and v2 is at least *usable* at the moment for the BB, there's not
much point investing any more personal time in v1. might as well just
move on and start using the next generation, *if* it's usable in its
current form.

Gerald Coley

Dec 14, 2009, 10:53:54 AM12/14/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Khasim is working on the new UBoot for the Rev C4 board.

Gerald

Robert P. J. Day

Dec 14, 2009, 11:12:33 AM12/14/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Gerald Coley wrote:

> Khasim is working on the new UBoot for the Rev C4 board.
>
> Gerald

excellent. so even if v2 is a little rough around the edges right
now, it's worth starting to use it to at least beta test it for the
BB and report any glitches. and where exactly would one report those
glitches? perhaps reports like that would be too BB-specific for the
general u-boot list and we should pass them on to khasim directly?

Gerald Coley

Dec 14, 2009, 11:21:55 AM12/14/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I would ping Khasim direct on this one.

Gerald

Jason Kridner

Dec 14, 2009, 11:22:34 AM12/14/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Robert P. J. Day
<rpj...@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Gerald Coley wrote:
>
>> Khasim is working on the new UBoot for the Rev C4 board.

Right now, that is planned to be based off of u-boot-v1. Nishanth has
done enough with u-boot-v2 to enable a nice, small image useful for
board recovery and I think there is a lot of potential for excellent
u-boot-v2 support of BeagleBoard, but I don't feel a big community
shift away from u-boot-v1 yet. The licensing of u-boot-v1 as GPLv3,
however, could quickly drive need for u-boot-v2 support for commercial
products. I'd be happy to hear some feedback here regarding what
should be shipped on the boards.

>> Gerald
>
>  excellent.  so even if v2 is a little rough around the edges right
> now, it's worth starting to use it to at least beta test it for the
> BB and report any glitches.  and where exactly would one report those
> glitches?  perhaps reports like that would be too BB-specific for the
> general u-boot list and we should pass them on to khasim directly?

Khasim isn't working on u-boot-v2 right now, so best to put them right
here on this mailing list and likely CC the u-boot-v2 mailing list. I
know some people complain about the volume of traffic on this list,
but I think the threading has been pretty good and the noise here
isn't really bad. It is a lot nicer to read about u-boot-v2 than to
read posts that are answered in the wikis and FAQs.

Dirk Behme

Dec 14, 2009, 2:16:53 PM12/14/09
to Gerald Coley, Beagle Board, Khasim Syed Mohammed
On 14.12.2009 16:53, Gerald Coley wrote:
> Khasim is working on the new UBoot for the Rev C4 board.

I wonder what Khasim is doing for C4?

C4 board detection patch is available at

http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard/msg/d039898a9bf9afb3

I asked for testing already 4 weeks ago, but got no (testing) feedback.

U-Boot v1 2009.11 is expected to be released soon. My plan is to send
this patch for mainline inclusion as soon as merge window opens (and
patch is tested).

Best regards

Dirk

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Robert P. J. Day<rpj...@crashcourse.ca>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, TylerWilson wrote:
>>
>>> I too am curious about this. I read the PDF overview of v2 a few
>>> days ago and liked what I saw. I would like the most efficient boot
>>> loader that includes USB and DFU, Inquiring minds....
>>
>> it's not so much the efficiency but if v1 is destined to be phased
>> out, and v2 is at least *usable* at the moment for the BB, there's not
>> much point investing any more personal time in v1. might as well just
>> move on and start using the next generation, *if* it's usable in its
>> current form.
>>
>> rday
>> --

>> Robert P. J. Day Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
>>
>> Linux Consulting, Training and Kernel Pedantry.
>>
>> Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday
>> .

Koen Kooi

Dec 14, 2009, 2:29:26 PM12/14/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, Gerald Coley, Beagle Board, Khasim Syed Mohammed
The ehci needs a different ldo AIUI

regards,

Koen

Op 14 dec 2009 om 19:16 heeft Dirk Behme <dirk....@googlemail.com>
het volgende geschreven:\

Gerald Coley

Dec 14, 2009, 2:37:01 PM12/14/09
to Koen Kooi, beagl...@googlegroups.com, Khasim Syed Mohammed
And the processor frequency and voltage settings are different as well.

Gerald

Dirk Behme

Dec 14, 2009, 2:49:17 PM12/14/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

On 14.12.2009 20:37, Gerald Coley wrote:
> And the processor frequency and voltage settings are different as well.

It would be nice if you could publish the detailed (new) settings
then. This would help (the community) to update U-Boot (and every
other boot loader people might use) accordingly.

It would be nice, too, if somebody with a C3 (and C4 prototype?) could
test

http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard/msg/d039898a9bf9afb3

Many thanks and best regards

Gerald Coley

Dec 14, 2009, 4:05:22 PM12/14/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
As soon as the settings are set we will get them out.

Gerald

Seppo Nikkilä

Dec 14, 2009, 3:19:50 PM12/14/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I just figured out how to generate 12.288 MHz out of the 26 MHz clock
(13 MHz SYS_CLK) using DPLL4. This clock replaces the
PRM_96M_ALWON_CLK 96 MHz.

So what will be the new processor clock frequency?

Now when my DPLL4 N/M frequency is 614.4 MHz and I divide it by 5 with
M2, which values should I program to M3, M4, M5, and M6 to cause the
least of disturbance to the rest of the board? In other words which
frequencies are DPLL4_M3X2_CLK, DSS1_ALWON_FCLK, CAM_MCLK, and
EMU_PER_ALWON_CLK supposed to be and what will happen if they are up
by 28 percent?
siñ

Seppo Nikkilä

Dec 14, 2009, 4:38:59 PM12/14/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Fine thanks, I'll be waiting!
How were they on C3?
Do I understand right that OMAP3530 is the same as OMAP3430 with just
some phone modem related things dropped?
siñ

Gerald Coley

Dec 14, 2009, 6:38:33 PM12/14/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
The OMAP3530 and the OMAP3430 are based on the same silicon.

Gerald

Robert P. J. Day

Dec 15, 2009, 3:52:24 AM12/15/09
to Beagle Board, Gerald Coley, Khasim Syed Mohammed
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Dirk Behme wrote:

> On 14.12.2009 16:53, Gerald Coley wrote:
> > Khasim is working on the new UBoot for the Rev C4 board.
>
> I wonder what Khasim is doing for C4?
>
> C4 board detection patch is available at
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard/msg/d039898a9bf9afb3
>
> I asked for testing already 4 weeks ago, but got no (testing)
> feedback.
>
> U-Boot v1 2009.11 is expected to be released soon. My plan is to
> send this patch for mainline inclusion as soon as merge window opens
> (and patch is tested).
>
> Best regards
>
> Dirk

just catching up here ... so what's the status of u-boot v2 on the
*c3* boards? is v2 usable? i can test that later today. is that
what some folks are looking for? more testing of v2 on the c3 boards
to speed the process along?