beaglebone black need help with PCM bus

Nate C

Jun 11, 2014, 10:57:26 PM6/11/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I need the beaglebone black to produce a PCM bus
PCLK 2.048 MHz
Framsync 8KHz
DI
DO

Can someone share with me how to do this?

John Syn

Jun 11, 2014, 11:40:07 PM6/11/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

From: Nate C <fly...@camaa.org>
Date: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 at 7:57 PM
To: <beagl...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [beagleboard] beaglebone black need help with PCM bus
McASP which you will find under /sound/soc/davinci/

Regards,
John

John Syn

Jun 13, 2014, 3:28:07 PM6/13/14
to fly...@camaa.org, beagl...@googlegroups.com

From: <fly...@camaa.org>
Date: Friday, June 13, 2014 at 8:23 AM
To: John Syne <john...@gmail.com>

Hi John, could you educate me on how to do this. please, perty please with sugar on top
This is not a trivial exercise as Texas Instruments have chosen not to have a separate driver for the McASP. Instead it is integrated into the sound subsystem (ALSA). As far as I know there is no example on how to use the McASP so the best you can do is review how audio is implemented on the BBB. Start by reviewing the alsa-project.org website to understand the ALSA terminology and then look through the following files:

/sound/soc/davinci/davinci-mcasp.c
/sound/soc/davinci/davinci-evm.c
/sound/soc/davinci/davinci-pcm.c
/sound/soc/codec/tlv320aic3x.c
/arch/arm/common/edma.c
/drivers/dma/edma.c

If you can understand the code in these files, you are off to a good start.  I have not listed any of the files related to the core sound files nor any of the memory management, timers, etc as these will only serve to confuse you more. You might want to ask TI on their E2E forums to see if they have a simpler way to tackle this task.

Regards,
John

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "BeagleBoard" group.

John Syn

Jun 13, 2014, 5:40:43 PM6/13/14
to fly...@camaa.org, beagl...@googlegroups.com

From: <fly...@camaa.org>
Date: Friday, June 13, 2014 at 2:12 PM

To: John Syne <john...@gmail.com>

Ooh wow, thats not good.
I did a file dump from root of all the files on my BBB

like this: find > BBB_dump.txt and then searched it for the files you listed and did not find them on my BBB.
do i need to install something, i am new to this.
Since others might be asking the same questions, you should always post your questions to the beagleboard mailing list and not to me personally.

The files I’m referencing are in the Linux Kernel. Follow the instructions in the link below on how to download the Linux Kernel:

Regards,
John

Big thanks,
Nathan