Damaged eMMC, does not boot from SD-Card automagically

384 Aufrufe
Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Johan Henselmans

ungelesen,
25.11.2019, 22:16:4325.11.19
an BeagleBoard

I have a BeagleBone Wireless with a damaged eMMC card.

mmc extcsd read /dev/mmcblk1
gives me this for the lifetime estimation:
eMMC Life Time Estimation A [EXT_CSD_DEVICE_LIFE_TIME_EST_TYP_A]: 0x0b
eMMC Life Time Estimation B [EXT_CSD_DEVICE_LIFE_TIME_EST_TYP_B]: 0x08
Not good, should be something like 0x01 (less that 10 percent), according to

Also, looking at the devices I do not see a mmcbl1p1.
root@beaglebone:~# lsblk
NAME         MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
mmcblk0      179:0    0 14.9G  0 disk
└─mmcblk0p1  179:1    0  3.5G  0 part /
mmcblk1      179:8    0  3.6G  0 disk
mmcblk1boot0 179:16   0    2M  1 disk
mmcblk1boot1 179:24   0    2M  1 disk
mmcblk1rpmb  179:32   0  512K  0 disk

I am trying to boot the beaglebone from SD-card for the moment, until i get another one, but it will only boot when i use press the power and the boot button next to the sd-card.

I tried to get rid of the boot flag on /dev/mmcblk1, as per instructions on
but I get errors getting to the eMMC:
fdisk: cannot open /dev/mmcblk1: Input/output error

Is there any way I can disable the eMMC somehow, so that it does not interfere with the booting of the sd-card and automatically boots the sd-card?

Kind Regards,
Johan Henselmans

Jim F

ungelesen,
26.11.2019, 00:38:3226.11.19
an beagl...@googlegroups.com
Should be easy to do. Change the boot configuration so that you don't try to boot from mmc1.

I think if it's a black, it should be r68 out, r93 in. Look up that platform manual to see the boot options. Chip is Am3358.

gra...@flex-radio.com

ungelesen,
26.11.2019, 08:54:2526.11.19
an BeagleBoard
It might not be an eMMC failure.
Could just be an old bootloader.
Did you update the bootpoader in the eMMC?

--- Graham

==

On Monday, November 25, 2019 at 11:38:32 PM UTC-6, Jim F wrote:
Should be easy to do. Change the boot configuration so that you don't try to boot from mmc1.

I think if it's a black, it should be r68 out, r93 in. Look up that platform manual to see the boot options. Chip is Am3358.

Johan Henselmans

ungelesen,
04.12.2019, 04:52:5404.12.19
an BeagleBoard
The eMMC is definitely borked. I tried several times to get the eMMC to do anything with it.
mmc gives the following result
mmc extcsd read /dev/mmcblk1 | grep "Life"  | awk '{print $6,$7}'
[EXT_CSD_DEVICE_LIFE_TIME_EST_TYP_A]: 0x0b
[EXT_CSD_DEVICE_LIFE_TIME_EST_TYP_B]: 0x08

As far as I understood, 0x01 means dead cell is between 0 and 10 percent. In that understanding 0x0b means that between 100 and 110 percent is dead, and 0x08 means between 70 and 80 percent is dead.

Thanks for bootloadertip, I did
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=1M count=1
After that the machine booted off the sdcard without having to press the boot button, as the Beaglebone could not find a bootloader on the eMMC.

Johan Henselmans

ungelesen,
04.12.2019, 04:59:0704.12.19
an BeagleBoard
Thanks for the reply.

I looked at the schematics pdf that you referred to and understood that r93 and r68 have to do with the boot-order, and that setting r68 low (as is actually done by pressing the uSD boot button)  would make the bootorder different.

Is that possible in software, or do I have to do that by settting up some kind of wiring?

On Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 6:38:32 AM UTC+1, Jim F wrote:
Should be easy to do. Change the boot configuration so that you don't try to boot from mmc1.

I think if it's a black, it should be r68 out, r93 in. Look up that platform manual to see the boot options. Chip is Am3358.

Mark Lazarewicz

ungelesen,
04.12.2019, 07:13:0304.12.19
an beagl...@googlegroups.com
*Is that possible in software, or do I have to do that *by settting up some kind of wiring?

The ROM bootloader contains firmware to boot using multiple protocols set by SoC pins being strapped. The details are in TRM.

mmc extcsd read /dev/mmcblk1
gives me this for the lifetime estimation:
eMMC Life Time Estimation A [EXT_CSD_DEVICE_LIFE_TIME_EST_ TYP_A]: 0x0b
eMMC Life Time Estimation B [EXT_CSD_DEVICE_LIFE_TIME_EST_ TYP_B]: 0x08

Allen antworten
Antwort an Autor
Weiterleiten
0 neue Nachrichten