Custom Kernel freezes on "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel."

psa

Jul 6, 2011, 5:14:22 AM7/6/11
to Beagle Board, p...@kerlink.fr
Hi all,
it is my first message on this group.
I recently have acquired a BeagleBoard-Xm rev B. I am playing with it.
Currently I can run Ubuntu 11.03 on it (with the help of the Wiki).
Now, I want to compile my own kernel...
I download kernel sources (from kernel.org), omap patches and
defconfig (from http://rcn-ee.homeip.net:81/dl/omap/patches/ ), and I
use cross toolchain from Codesourcery (Sourcery G++ Lite 2011.03-41).
My development desktop works with Fedora15.
I apply patches and compile kernel in order to obtain a uImage. When I
try to boot with this new image, the board systematically freezes on
"Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel." message...
Have you an idea?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Best Regards,
Pierre

Robert Nelson

Jul 6, 2011, 7:33:42 AM7/6/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, p...@kerlink.fr

Hi Pierre,

To help you, we need a couple more pieces of info..

What version of the kernel/patchset are you building?
What are your current bootargs?
and possibly, what did you change in the defconfig..

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller

Jul 6, 2011, 7:27:32 AM7/6/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

depending on kernel version, you may have to set the console to ttyO2
(thanks to those people who hard encoded extended serial interface
capabilities into a different device file name).

Johnson Easow - ERS, HCL Tech

Jul 6, 2011, 7:50:45 AM7/6/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
This has been discussed a hundred times in this group. Please search the archives.

Thank you,
Johnson

::DISCLAIMER::

Johnson Easow - ERS, HCL Tech

Jul 6, 2011, 7:57:37 AM7/6/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Meanwhile, note that there is an alignment issue with the code Sourcery 2011.03-41.
Please refer to http://maxgalemin.blogspot.com/2011/05/linux-kernel-2639-codesourcery-201103.html

Thank you,
Johnson

Hi Pierre,

Regards,

psa

Jul 6, 2011, 8:13:40 AM7/6/11
to Beagle Board
Thanks for you help,
I found this page : http://maxgalemin.blogspot.com/2011/05/linux-kernel-2639-codesourcery-201103.html
Indeed it solves my issue!!! :-)
So, in order to compile, I need to add in my 'make' command line :
EXTRA_CFLAGS=-mno-unaligned-access
I hope that it can help someone.
Bye.

On 6 juil, 13:27, "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <h...@goldelico.com>
wrote:
> Am 06.07.2011 um 11:14 schrieb psa:
>
> > Hi all,
> > it is my first message on this group.
> > I recently have acquired a BeagleBoard-Xm rev B. I am playing with it.
> > Currently I can run Ubuntu 11.03 on it (with the help of the Wiki).
> > Now, I want to compile my own kernel...
> > I download kernel sources (from kernel.org), omap patches and
> > defconfig (fromhttp://rcn-ee.homeip.net:81/dl/omap/patches/), and I

psa

Jul 6, 2011, 8:16:10 AM7/6/11

wrote:
> Am 06.07.2011 um 11:14 schrieb psa:
>
> > Hi all,
> > it is my first message on this group.
> > I recently have acquired a BeagleBoard-Xm rev B. I am playing with it.
> > Currently I can run Ubuntu 11.03 on it (with the help of the Wiki).
> > Now, I want to compile my own kernel...
> > I download kernel sources (from kernel.org), omap patches and
> > defconfig (fromhttp://rcn-ee.homeip.net:81/dl/omap/patches/), and I

psa

Jul 6, 2011, 8:18:07 AM7/6/11

wrote:
> Am 06.07.2011 um 11:14 schrieb psa:
>
> > Hi all,
> > it is my first message on this group.
> > I recently have acquired a BeagleBoard-Xm rev B. I am playing with it.
> > Currently I can run Ubuntu 11.03 on it (with the help of the Wiki).
> > Now, I want to compile my own kernel...
> > I download kernel sources (from kernel.org), omap patches and
> > defconfig (fromhttp://rcn-ee.homeip.net:81/dl/omap/patches/), and I

psa

Jul 6, 2011, 8:22:54 AM7/6/11
to Beagle Board
Thanks for your help,
I was just testing this link and indeed it is my solution !!!!
Pierre