How to connect to wifi network at home?

user pc

Sep 2, 2019, 8:11:18 PM9/2/19
to BeagleBoard
Hi, I am new to BB. I have a BeagleBone Black Wireless. Could you please let me know how to connect it to home wifi network? I can run the board via usb cable or independently connect it to an external monitor. I once connected to a monitor but could not find any option to allow me to connect it to the wireless internet at home. Thanks

Mark A. Yoder

Sep 3, 2019, 10:34:57 AM9/3/19
to BeagleBoard
Here's[1] some notes I have on connecting.  Do they help?

--Mark

user pc

Sep 3, 2019, 9:32:26 PM9/3/19
to BeagleBoard
Thank you. Can I do this without connecting the BBB wifi to a PC and share the internet connection?

2019年9月3日火曜日 10時34分57秒 UTC-4 Mark A. Yoder:

Brian Tremaine

Sep 3, 2019, 10:38:37 PM9/3/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I was able to get this part working thanks to Derek Malloys videos.
In windows Network and sharing your wifi adapter will appear as well as the local private adapter to the BBB
In the wifi adapter go to properties--> sharing and allow sharing to the private adapter.
Once that is done, go to the private adapter --> properties. Click Internet protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPV4) then in the window that pops up select both Obtain IP and Obtain DNS automatically.

Brian

TremaineConsultingGroup.com

user pc

Sep 5, 2019, 9:21:57 PM9/5/19
to BeagleBoard
Following the  Derek Malloys's BeagleBone: Getting Started - Windows USB Network Adapter Setup tutorial, I am able to repair the connection between my laptop and the BBB wifi. Now I can use putty. There are two issues:

1. I cannot login as root. I tried to just hit enter. Did not work. I tried temppwd which is the password for Debian. Also does not work. I tried to "edit sshd_config in /etc/sshd and change the "no" to a "yes" after PermitRootLogin." but it is "yes" by default already. Anybody knows what I can do to login as root?

2. From the video, typing "ping 192.168.7.1" should get a list of bytes transfer and time to show that a private network has been established. However, my system only shows:

debian@beaglebone:/etc/ssh$ ping 192.168.7.1

and it hangs until I hit control C. Have I done anything wrong? I can connect the BBB wifi to my PC via putty and the website's 192.168.7.2. However, ping does not work...

Could anybody please show me how to fix the issues? Thanks

2019年9月2日月曜日 20時11分18秒 UTC-4 user pc:

evilwulfie

Sep 5, 2019, 9:24:21 PM9/5/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On 9/5/2019 6:21 PM, user pc wrote:
Following the  Derek Malloys's BeagleBone: Getting Started - Windows USB Network Adapter Setup tutorial, I am able to repair the connection between my laptop and the BBB wifi. Now I can use putty. There are two issues:

1. I cannot login as root. I tried to just hit enter. Did not work. I tried temppwd which is the password for Debian. Also does not work. I tried to "edit sshd_config in /etc/sshd and change the "no" to a "yes" after PermitRootLogin." but it is "yes" by default already. Anybody knows what I can do to login as root?
login as debian temppwd then sudo root

2. From the video, typing "ping 192.168.7.1" should get a list of bytes transfer and time to show that a private network has been established. However, my system only shows:
check windows firewall

debian@beaglebone:/etc/ssh$ ping 192.168.7.1

and it hangs until I hit control C. Have I done anything wrong? I can connect the BBB wifi to my PC via putty and the website's 192.168.7.2. However, ping does not work...

Could anybody please show me how to fix the issues? Thanks

2019年9月2日月曜日 20時11分18秒 UTC-4 user pc:
Hi, I am new to BB. I have a BeagleBone Black Wireless. Could you please let me know how to connect it to home wifi network? I can run the board via usb cable or independently connect it to an external monitor. I once connected to a monitor but could not find any option to allow me to connect it to the wireless internet at home. Thanks
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

user pc

Sep 5, 2019, 11:22:57 PM9/5/19
to BeagleBoard
I am able to ping 192.168.7.2. I am also able to set up a new password for root and then sudo root. Now, problem with connection to google.com.

root@beaglebone:/home/Debian# ping www.google.com
ping: www.google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution

[In the video, it shows a different system respond: "ping: unknown host www.google.com". Do I have to worry?]

I typed "/sbin/route add default gw 192.168.7.1" and then "ping 8.8.8.8", I got only:

and the system hung rather than printing a list of 64 bytes from 8.8.8: .... time=41.4 ms" until I type control C. Could you please let me know how to fix this?

Shabaz Yousaf

Sep 5, 2019, 11:27:23 PM9/5/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Hi!

Personally I’d suggest there’s no need to waste time on this activity to add routes in windows. Just disconnect your BBB and connect it directly via Ethernet to your switch/router (and of course power via a 5V DC supply with barrel plug).

Although it’s technically possible to run your BBB like a dongle hanging off the end of the PC’s USB socket, it’s a waste of time investigating your PC operating system and any firewall settings, when you could instead be using your BBB.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sep 5, 2019, 11:38:13 PM9/5/19
to BeagleBoard
I considered this before but there is no icon to configure the network setting under Debian. Somebody mentioned that I need to go through this to set up an internet connection for the BBB via usb connection to a PC. After setting up the wifi connection successfully for BBB wireless, I can then use it as a standalone controller that can connect to the internet via a PC. Eventually, I will need the BBB wireless to be able to connect to public wifi network.

Besides, I don't have access to an external HDMI monitor outside home. I need to use the screen of my laptop as the screen for the BBB wifi when I am away from home.
.

2019年9月5日木曜日 23時27分23秒 UTC-4 shabaz:

Shabaz Yousaf

Sep 5, 2019, 11:48:30 PM9/5/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I see; so you’ve got a BeagleBone Wireless or similar, and the actual aim is to get the wireless working.

In that case, you can do all this from the command line, and no need to add routes.

I wrote up some beginner steps here: https://www.element14.com/community/community/designcenter/single-board-computers/blog/2019/08/11/getting-started-with-beaglebone-black

There’s a section ‘Connecting to a Wireless Network’, it won’t entail you needing to use HDMI.

However I didn’t understand this bit:

“. I need to use the screen of my laptop as the screen for the BBB wifi when I am away from home”.

Ordinarily, applications that require remote operation or access, can be used with a web browser, or some other method, (say) configuration via command line, using SSH. If you’re referring to a ‘remote desktop’, while that’s possible, it is antiquated. Also, it’s not good to open up ports on your home firewall. Better to find alternative ways so that there’s no need for unusual solution topologies.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Friday, September 6, 2019 4:38:13 AM
To: BeagleBoard <beagl...@googlegroups.com>

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/012b11fb-d6aa-4b21-ba7b-3acc9442ca46%40googlegroups.com.

user pc

Sep 6, 2019, 12:33:29 AM9/6/19
to BeagleBoard
Thanks. I followed the steps described in your guide. So, wifi should be working. How come when I ping 8.8.8.8, the system still just prints: "PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data." and system hangs until I het ctrl-c.

When I typed: ping www.google.com, I got
PING www.google.com (172.217.164.196) 56 (84) bytes of data.

2019年9月2日月曜日 20時11分18秒 UTC-4 user pc:
Hi, I am new to BB. I have a BeagleBone Black Wireless. Could you please let me know how to connect it to home wifi network? I can run the board via usb cable or independently connect it to an external monitor. I once connected to a monitor but could not find any option to allow me to connect it to the wireless internet at home. Thanks

Shabaz Yousaf

Sep 6, 2019, 12:45:23 AM9/6/19
to BeagleBoard

From your output, it seems there is (or was) some connectivity over WLAN or another medium, because your BBB appears to understand the IP address of google.com is 172.217.164.196.
You could consider trying a new test ping to a different host, to establish if that really is the case or not. Sometimes it's best to try a more unusual host.
Also, the steps mention some confirmatory steps, but you've not pasted any output.
Personally, I don't like diagnosing issues in a ping-pong fashion, because it's a waste of time : (

Sent: 06 September 2019 05:33

To: BeagleBoard <beagl...@googlegroups.com>

user pc

Sep 6, 2019, 7:41:25 AM9/6/19
to BeagleBoard
I tried:

root@beaglebone:/home/Debian# ping www.apple.com
PING e6858.dsce9.akamaiedge.net (96.6.23.173) 56(84) bytes of data.

Then it hangs.

I quit Putty and then I re-enable the two Inbound Rules: File and Printer Sharing (Echo Request -ICMPv4-In).
Restart Putty and tried to ping www.apple.com again. Got the same reaction from the system.

Shabaz Yousaf

Sep 6, 2019, 8:03:28 AM9/6/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

It seems as if the wireless is up, if you’re able to resolve hostnames like this.

However, it would be good to confirm it.

You can check by typing

ifconfig -a

(as mentioned in the steps) and pasting the output, and also try pinging your home router IP address.

 If the above is successful then traceroute could be tried too, to narrow down the issue.

Just to confirm, do you have a home router, or is this test being done in work premises (i.e. connecting to a corporate network)?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Friday, September 6, 2019 12:41:24 PM

To: BeagleBoard <beagl...@googlegroups.com>

user pc

Sep 6, 2019, 8:27:22 AM9/6/19
to BeagleBoard
Hi, from now on, should I turn of or enable the two Inbound Rules "File and Printing Sharing (Echo Request - ICMPv4-In)? Currently, they are off as it is stated that it is not good to open firewall of home network.

 I tried: ifconfig -a and the output is a long list of things. As my laptop is connected to home wifi router, I am listing the output for the wifi adapter.

wlan0: flags=-28605<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,DYNAMIC>  mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.2.244  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.2.255
        inet6 fe80::f684:4cff:fe44:49d2  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether f4:84:4c:44:49:d2  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 14504  bytes 2681650 (2.5 MiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 2  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 782  bytes 89674 (87.5 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

Pinging my own home wifi router's IP address is working. A list of 64 bytes from ... is shown.

user pc

Sep 6, 2019, 8:39:16 AM9/6/19
to BeagleBoard
I should add that I need to get this working both at home (wifi) and at workplace (wifi also).

Shabaz Yousaf

Sep 6, 2019, 9:13:19 AM9/6/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You shouldn't need to touch your home router config to be able to connect from your BBB to external hosts (but check you can ping the same hosts using your PC too). Nearly all ISP provided routers will be set up correctly. Opening up ports from the internet is not recommended.
Your wireless connection is good since you can ping your home router. Not sure why the router isn't forwarding packets. A traceroute may help, but beyond that I don't know what the issue is.
Regarding work network, that's a different kettle of fish. Your work network may have security at layer 2. In other words, you'd need to confirm with your IT team if they will allow an unsupported device on the network. Packets from unauthorized devices may be silently dropped depending on how secure your work network is.

Sent: Friday, September 6, 2019 1:27:22 PM

To: BeagleBoard <beagl...@googlegroups.com>

Dennis Lee Bieber

Sep 6, 2019, 1:27:47 PM9/6/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 20:38:13 -0700 (PDT), user pc
<peterco...@gmail.com> declaimed the
following:

>I considered this before but there is no icon to configure the network
>setting under Debian. Somebody mentioned that I need to go through this to

On the Beagles, I believe (I don't have WiFi capable Beagles and always
use a CAT-5 wired connection to my router [technically, to an 8-port switch
which connects to the router]) you need to run connmanctl to configure
connections (the CAT-5 wired doesn't seem to need it, it is automatic).
Documentation at
https://manpages.debian.org/testing/connman/connmanctl.1.en.html
(Hmmm, it appears to be a Debian package, here I'd thought it was Beagle
specific)
https://manpages.debian.org/testing/connman/connman-service.config.5.en.html
>set up an internet connection for the BBB via usb connection to a PC.
After
>setting up the wifi connection successfully for BBB wireless, I can then
>use it as a standalone controller that can connect to the internet via a
>PC. Eventually, I will need the BBB wireless to be able to connect to
>public wifi network.

The main concept is that you need to eventually be able to run the
Beagle /without/ using the USB connection. Forget about trying to use

Beagle (USB) -> computer -> internet
and I'd also forget about
Beagle (WiFi) -> computer -> (wired) internet
(Beagle (WiFi) -> computer -> (WiFi) internet is only possible if the
computer has two WiFi units, one set as an access point for the Beagle to
connect, and one set as a client to connect to an access point).

All of those have the hassles of configuring the computer to do
gateway, possibly DHCP, possibly nameserver for local stuff...

Use the USB connection (and SSH) only to edit the initial configuration
of the Beagle so that the WiFi module has information to connect to your
WiFi router. When the information has been provided, disconnect the USB
(obviously you'll need a 5V power supply) and reboot. It should then
connect to the WiFi router, and you'll access it using either a router
handled name (on Windows, that is often just the hostname without any
trailing domain) or via the IP # assigned by the router (you'll have to
check the router configuration pages to find the IP # assigned to WiFi
client).

This is also predicated on the router being in a permissive mode -- my
preference is to lock out unknown devices, only allowing a limited number
of MAC addresses to connect. This does mean everytime I get a new WiFi
device, I have to either discover the MAC address before connecting, or
enable "all devices" on the router, connect, check the MAC address for the
new device, then add it to the "allowed" list before relocking to "allowed
only".

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlf...@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Dennis Lee Bieber

Sep 6, 2019, 2:15:44 PM9/6/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 21:33:28 -0700 (PDT), user pc
<peterco...@gmail.com> declaimed the
following:

>Thanks. I followed the steps described in your guide. So, wifi should be
>working. How come when I ping 8.8.8.8, the system still just prints: "PING
>8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data." and system hangs until I het
>ctrl-c.
>
>When I typed: ping www.google.com, I got
>PING www.google.com (172.217.164.196) 56 (84) bytes of data.

Which shows us that IPv4 name lookup is working... (For the following,
remember that I have CAT-5 to LAN switch)

debian@beaglebone:~$ ping 8.8.8.8
^C
--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
6 packets transmitted, 6 received, 0% packet loss, time 5009ms
debian@beaglebone:~$ ping www.google.com
PING www.google.com(dfw25s34-in-x04.1e100.net (2607:f8b0:4000:808::2004))
56 data bytes
64 bytes from dfw25s34-in-x04.1e100.net (2607:f8b0:4000:808::2004):
icmp_seq=1 ttl=53 time=47.1 ms
64 bytes from dfw25s34-in-x04.1e100.net (2607:f8b0:4000:808::2004):
icmp_seq=2 ttl=53 time=47.2 ms
64 bytes from dfw25s34-in-x04.1e100.net (2607:f8b0:4000:808::2004):
icmp_seq=3 ttl=53 time=46.5 ms
64 bytes from dfw25s34-in-x04.1e100.net (2607:f8b0:4000:808::2004):
icmp_seq=4 ttl=53 time=47.2 ms
64 bytes from dfw25s34-in-x04.1e100.net (2607:f8b0:4000:808::2004):
icmp_seq=5 ttl=53 time=46.8 ms
^C
--- www.google.com ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4007ms
debian@beaglebone:~$ ping -4 www.google.com
PING www.google.com (172.217.14.164) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from dfw28s22-in-f4.1e100.net (172.217.14.164): icmp_seq=1 ttl=53
time=46.6 ms
64 bytes from dfw28s22-in-f4.1e100.net (172.217.14.164): icmp_seq=2 ttl=53
time=45.7 ms
64 bytes from dfw28s22-in-f4.1e100.net (172.217.14.164): icmp_seq=3 ttl=53
time=46.1 ms
64 bytes from dfw28s22-in-f4.1e100.net (172.217.14.164): icmp_seq=4 ttl=53
time=45.9 ms
^C
--- www.google.com ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3004ms
debian@beaglebone:~$

Note that my first ping to google used IPv6 numbers, I had to specify
IPv4 usage on the second.

If your pings are hanging after the initial status line (how long did
you wait) the most likely cause is... Firewall settings that are not
propagating the packet type used by ping. Have you tried traceroute
to find out how far the packets are making it? (you may need to install it
first sudo apt-get install traceroute )

debian@beaglebone:~$ traceroute 8.8.8.8
traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 dsldevice.attlocal.net (192.168.1.254) 1.085 ms 1.123 ms 1.172 ms
2 76-255-152-1.lightspeed.gdrpmi.sbcglobal.net (76.255.152.1) 20.966 ms
30.590 ms 31.764 ms
3 71.152.176.29 (71.152.176.29) 22.195 ms 22.542 ms 22.660 ms
4 cr2.cgcil.ip.att.net (12.123.7.142) 29.049 ms 33.278 ms 33.308 ms
5 gar26.cgcil.ip.att.net (12.122.99.93) 29.804 ms 29.832 ms 30.594 ms
6 12.247.108.6 (12.247.108.6) 30.921 ms 12.247.108.10 (12.247.108.10)
23.448 ms 12.247.108.6 (12.247.108.6) 24.759 ms
7 * * *
8 dns.google (8.8.8.8) 22.939 ms 23.203 ms 24.298 ms
debian@beaglebone:~$ traceroute www.google.com
traceroute to www.google.com (172.217.1.228), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 dsldevice.attlocal.net (192.168.1.254) 0.596 ms 0.668 ms 0.727 ms
2 76-255-152-1.lightspeed.gdrpmi.sbcglobal.net (76.255.152.1) 21.995 ms
31.390 ms 40.496 ms
3 71.152.176.29 (71.152.176.29) 21.439 ms 22.286 ms 22.320 ms
4 cr2.cgcil.ip.att.net (12.123.7.142) 29.271 ms 29.239 ms 29.542 ms
5 gar26.cgcil.ip.att.net (12.122.99.93) 28.887 ms 30.081 ms 29.934 ms
6 12.247.108.6 (12.247.108.6) 30.727 ms 12.247.108.10 (12.247.108.10)
25.764 ms 12.247.108.6 (12.247.108.6) 25.712 ms
7 * * *
8 216.239.42.34 (216.239.42.34) 22.567 ms 72.14.232.192 (72.14.232.192)
23.432 ms 72.14.232.168 (72.14.232.168) 23.821 ms
9 108.170.243.233 (108.170.243.233) 25.462 ms 108.170.243.219
(108.170.243.219) 40.857 ms 108.170.243.165 (108.170.243.165) 27.141 ms
10 72.14.233.10 (72.14.233.10) 28.569 ms 28.716 ms 216.239.57.77
(216.239.57.77) 30.460 ms
11 209.85.249.19 (209.85.249.19) 54.080 ms 209.85.246.211
(209.85.246.211) 53.393 ms 209.85.249.19 (209.85.249.19) 54.546 ms
12 209.85.250.54 (209.85.250.54) 54.335 ms 209.85.250.141
(209.85.250.141) 46.519 ms 209.85.250.54 (209.85.250.54) 46.535 ms
13 108.170.228.87 (108.170.228.87) 47.445 ms 216.239.59.169
(216.239.59.169) 47.090 ms 43.919 ms
14 108.170.240.129 (108.170.240.129) 48.624 ms 49.600 ms 49.973 ms
15 216.239.40.67 (216.239.40.67) 50.339 ms 51.655 ms 52.175 ms
16 dfw25s25-in-f4.1e100.net (172.217.1.228) 51.972 ms 53.119 ms 53.539
ms
debian@beaglebone:~$

If traceroute starts putting out * * * for all lines up to the max-hops
the odds are good that the packets are being lost at that point.

With the CAT-5 disconnected (so using the USB, without sharing on the
main computer)...

debian@beaglebone:~$ ping -4 www.google.com
ping: www.google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution
debian@beaglebone:~$ ping 8.8.8.8
connect: Network is unreachable

Without sharing, the USB connection is only usable between the BBB and
computer -- there is no nameserver or gating...

debian@beaglebone:~$ ping 192.168.7.2
^C
--- 192.168.7.2 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4041ms
debian@beaglebone:~$ ping 192.168.7.1
^C
--- 192.168.7.1 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4005ms

Based upon the times, 192.168.7.1 is my computer, and 192.168.7.2 is
the BBB itself.

debian@beaglebone:~$ traceroute 192.168.7.2
traceroute to 192.168.7.2 (192.168.7.2), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 192.168.7.2 (192.168.7.2) 0.201 ms 0.077 ms 0.064 ms
debian@beaglebone:~$ traceroute 192.168.7.1
traceroute to 192.168.7.1 (192.168.7.1), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 * * *
2 * * *
3 * * *
4 * * *
5 * * *
6 * * *
7 * * *
8 * * *
9 * * *
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * *
19 * * *
20 * * *
21 * * *
22 * * *
23 * * *
24 * * *
25 * * *
26 * * *
27 * * *
28 * * *
29 * * *
30 * * *
debian@beaglebone:~$

Note how traceroute failed to get times for anything -- my computer is
not running a traceroute daemon to respond.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Sep 6, 2019, 2:36:13 PM9/6/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 05:27:22 -0700 (PDT), user pc
<peterco...@gmail.com> declaimed the
following:

> I tried: ifconfig -a and the output is a long list of things. As my laptop
>is connected to home wifi router, I am listing the output for the wifi
>adapter.

Don't trim -- show us all of it, otherwise we can't really tell what
you have going.

>wlan0: flags=-28605<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,DYNAMIC> mtu 1500
***
> inet 192.168.2.244 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.2.255
> inet6 fe80::f684:4cff:fe44:49d2 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20<link>
***
> ether f4:84:4c:44:49:d2 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
> RX packets 14504 bytes 2681650 (2.5 MiB)
> RX errors 0 dropped 2 overruns 0 frame 0
> TX packets 782 bytes 89674 (87.5 KiB)
> TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

If that is truly from your Beagle, then that device IS connected to
what I'm presuming is your WiFi ROUTER since it has both IPv4 and IPv6
addresses. You should not need to set up routes/gateways through your
computer.

My BBB (CAT-5, no WiFi) shows:

debian@beaglebone:~$ ifconfig -a
can0: flags=128<NOARP> mtu 16
unspec 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00 txqueuelen
10 (UNSPEC)
RX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0
device interrupt 42

can1: flags=128<NOARP> mtu 16
unspec 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00 txqueuelen
10 (UNSPEC)
RX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0
device interrupt 43

eth0: flags=-28605<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,DYNAMIC> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.1.69 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255
inet6 2600:1700:e630:890:d239:72ff:fe18:3ee5 prefixlen 64 scopeid
0x0<global>
inet6 fe80::d239:72ff:fe18:3ee5 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20<link>
inet6 2600:1700:e630:890::44 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x0<global>
ether d0:39:72:18:3e:e5 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 3501 bytes 343793 (335.7 KiB)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 762 bytes 87898 (85.8 KiB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0
device interrupt 55

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> mtu 65536
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 scopeid 0x10<host>
loop txqueuelen 1000 (Local Loopback)
RX packets 260 bytes 20228 (19.7 KiB)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 260 bytes 20228 (19.7 KiB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

usb0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.7.2 netmask 255.255.255.252 broadcast 192.168.7.3
inet6 fe80::d239:72ff:fe18:3ee7 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20<link>
ether d0:39:72:18:3e:e7 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 2734 bytes 277493 (270.9 KiB)
RX errors 0 dropped 7 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 1189 bytes 224357 (219.0 KiB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

usb1: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.6.2 netmask 255.255.255.252 broadcast 192.168.6.3
ether d0:39:72:18:3e:ea txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

debian@beaglebone:~$

For comparison, a Raspberry-Pi 3B running the Amateur Radio Pi-Star
version of Debian, and not using CAT-5 shows...

pi-star@pi-star-3b(ro):~$ ifconfig -a
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr b8:27:eb:1e:5e:80
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1
RX bytes:665425569 (634.5 MiB) TX bytes:665425569 (634.5 MiB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr b8:27:eb:4b:0b:d5
inet addr:192.168.1.79 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:2314268153 (2.1 GiB) TX bytes:1768047905 (1.6 GiB)

pi-star@pi-star-3b(ro):~$

A second R-Pi 3B with CAT-5 connection (running my sluggish web-server via
dynamic DNS services) gives

md_admin@microdiversity:~$ ifconfig -a
eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.1.252 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255
inet6 fe80::8431:97f5:fc01:6055 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20<link>
ether b8:27:eb:ce:b1:eb txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 3240936 bytes 307256706 (293.0 MiB)
RX errors 0 dropped 343 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 1781142 bytes 178126588 (169.8 MiB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> mtu 65536
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 scopeid 0x10<host>
loop txqueuelen 1000 (Local Loopback)
RX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

wlan0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.1.253 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255
inet6 fe80::3d13:8e31:8ff7:f75f prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20<link>
ether b8:27:eb:9b:e4:be txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 92502 bytes 11604986 (11.0 MiB)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 3141 bytes 347627 (339.4 KiB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

md_admin@microdiversity:~$

(I should put in a command into the start-up to take the WiFi down -- don't
need both interfaces active)

What does the route command display? (Warning, this wrapped in my
client)

debian@beaglebone:~$ sudo route
[sudo] password for debian:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
Iface
default dsldevice.attlo 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0
eth0
192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0
eth0
dsldevice.attlo 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0
eth0
192.168.6.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.252 U 0 0 0
usb1
192.168.7.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.252 U 0 0 0
usb0
debian@beaglebone:~$ sudo route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
Iface
0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0
eth0
192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0
eth0
192.168.1.254 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0
eth0
192.168.6.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.252 U 0 0 0
usb1
192.168.7.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.252 U 0 0 0
usb0
debian@beaglebone:~$

and the R-Pi 3B on WiFi

pi-star@pi-star-3b(ro):~$ sudo route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
Iface
default dsldevice.attlo 0.0.0.0 UG 303 0 0
wlan0
192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 303 0 0
wlan0
pi-star@pi-star-3b(ro):~$ sudo route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
Iface
0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254 0.0.0.0 UG 303 0 0
wlan0
192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 303 0 0
wlan0
pi-star@pi-star-3b(ro):~$

Dennis Lee Bieber

Sep 6, 2019, 2:55:02 PM9/6/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 05:39:16 -0700 (PDT), user pc
<peterco...@gmail.com> declaimed the
following:

>I should add that I need to get this working both at home (wifi) and at
>workplace (wifi also).

The latter will require checking with your IT staff. For example, at my
last employer, the WiFi system was limited to devices issued by the IT
department, and hence configured for the internal network by using the
user's corporate login information.

There was a guest WiFi, but users had to obtain the password (changed
monthly) from the IT desk -- and they preferred to only provide that to,
well, guests visiting the facility who had to provide justification for the
need -- and guests only had access to the WAN, they could not reach any LAN
nodes (whereas our issued computers could connect to each other and to the
email server). In this situation, you will likely not be able to connect to
the Beagle from your work computer (corporate firewalls will likely block
attempts to connect to any devices inside the guest WiFi).

In order to work with ad-hoc hardware (various development boards, et
al) we /had/ to use wired ethernet connections, and often had at least one
if not more USB<>Ethernet adapters connected to the computers (since the
computer's own Ethernet NIC was connected to the corporate LAN, anything
not on the LAN needed an additional NIC.

Heck, I've got two of
https://www.siig.com/products/it-products/networking/wired/usb-2-0-fast-ethernet-adapter.html
laying in a box of odds&ends, along with a pair of USB<>RS-232 adapters
(since most of the stuff we worked with had debug serial ports needed to
configure them before the network was usable) (Current version is
https://www.siig.com/products/it-products/usb/converters/usb-3-0-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter-1763.html
)

user pc

Sep 6, 2019, 3:05:13 PM9/6/19
to BeagleBoard
Thanks for letting me know the potential challenges. I am still waiting for IT staff to reply.

I have used many controllers for many years. I found lots of hassles with BeagleBone. How come?
Connecting it directly to a HDMI display just shows that the system is very very slow.