name resolution failed BBB wireless

anish kumar

Aug 13, 2019, 11:42:19 AM8/13/19
to BeagleBoard
I am trying to setup my beaglebone black wireless for accessing my pc(windows-7) internet using usb-ethernet. Below is the steps i have performed
1.) add dns server in file edit /etc/network/interfaces
     dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8
2.) add default gateway [i have to do this every time beaglebone is reset/restarted or power cycled]
     sudo route add default gateway 192.168.7.1
3.) on pc side, the linux-rndis has following settings;
     ipv4 - 192.168.7.1
      sub  - 255.255.255.0
      dns  - 8.8.8.8
4.) update date and time

Now, when trying to ping www.google.com i get "temporary failure in name resolution"

I am using bone-debian-9.5-lxqt-armhf-2018-10-07-4gb.img.xz

Jim F

Aug 13, 2019, 12:30:57 PM8/13/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I think you messed up in step 1.

/etc/resolv.conf should contain at least one line in the form :

nameserver 8.8.8.8

In order to separate the different components for debugging, recommend you try ping 8.8.8.8 and see if that works, first.