Updating bootloader for emmc flasher and changing USB device name

50 views
Skip to first unread message

ferdster

unread,
Nov 7, 2018, 6:07:04 PM11/7/18
to BeagleBoard

Hello,

I've updated the bootloader with:
sudo /opt/scripts/tools/developers/update_bootloader.sh

But when I run /opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/beaglebone-black-make-microSD-flasher-from-eMMC.sh it looks like it pulls an older backup version from /opt/backup/uboot

I see that when I run the update script it downloaded the new files to a tmp directory. Is it just a matter of copying/renaming the files from the tmp directory to /opt/backup/uboot?
/tmp/tmp.pvzpjINf7p/dl:
MLO-am335x_evm-v2018.09-r7
bootloader-ng
u-boot-am335x_evm-v2018.09-r7.img

Secondly, when I plug the BBGW into a PC using the micro usb cable, Windows installs the drivers and eventually says something like "Device BeagleBoneGreen ready to use". Can I change that name to something else?

Thanks.

ferdster

unread,
Dec 9, 2018, 4:47:52 PM12/9/18
to BeagleBoard
Bump.

Robert Nelson

unread,
Dec 9, 2018, 5:08:17 PM12/9/18
to Beagle Board
On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 5:07 PM ferdster <ftja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> Hello,
>
> I've updated the bootloader with:
> sudo /opt/scripts/tools/developers/update_bootloader.sh
>
> But when I run /opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/beaglebone-black-make-microSD-flasher-from-eMMC.sh it looks like it pulls an older backup version from /opt/backup/uboot
>
> I see that when I run the update script it downloaded the new files to a tmp directory. Is it just a matter of copying/renaming the files from the tmp directory to /opt/backup/uboot?
> /tmp/tmp.pvzpjINf7p/dl:
> MLO-am335x_evm-v2018.09-r7
> bootloader-ng
> u-boot-am335x_evm-v2018.09-r7.img

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/commit/d9a7ff1063db8359841c0349caf0898fd0bbc452

>
> Secondly, when I plug the BBGW into a PC using the micro usb cable, Windows installs the drivers and eventually says something like "Device BeagleBoneGreen ready to use". Can I change that name to something else?

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/blob/master/boot/am335x_evm.sh#L223

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

ferdster

unread,
Jan 11, 2019, 6:27:54 PM1/11/19
to BeagleBoard
Still having some trouble with this.

- I am running directly off eMMC (no SD) with the latest bootloader (sudo /opt/scripts/tools/developers/update_bootloader.sh)
- Now I clone the eMMC to SD (/opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/beaglebone-black-make-microSD-flasher-from-eMMC.sh)
- Use the SD to clone a new board - this board now has an old bootloader and I need to run update_bootloader.sh again.

Thanks.

Robert Nelson

unread,
Jan 11, 2019, 7:29:50 PM1/11/19
to Beagle Board, Ferdi Tjandra
On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 5:28 PM ferdster <ftja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Still having some trouble with this.
>
> - I am running directly off eMMC (no SD) with the latest bootloader (sudo /opt/scripts/tools/developers/update_bootloader.sh)
> - Now I clone the eMMC to SD (/opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/beaglebone-black-make-microSD-flasher-from-eMMC.sh)
> - Use the SD to clone a new board - this board now has an old bootloader and I need to run update_bootloader.sh again.

So we need a patch to "update_bootloader.sh" to update these two files then:

/opt/backup/uboot/MLO
/opt/backup/uboot/u-boot.img

Robert Nelson

unread,
Jan 11, 2019, 7:35:29 PM1/11/19
to Beagle Board, Ferdi Tjandra

ferdster

unread,
Jan 14, 2019, 11:26:12 AM1/14/19
to BeagleBoard
Ok, so it is exactly what I thought needed to be done, but I don't think the change you made to update_bootloader.sh is quite right. It didn't overwrite the existing 'MLO' and 'u-boot.img' files in /opt/backup/uboot. Instead it created two new files 'BOOT' and 'SPL'. 

BEFORE:
/opt/backup/uboot# ls -l
total 492
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  75208 Jan 28  2018 MLO
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 422560 Jan 28  2018 u-boot.img

AFTER:
/opt/backup/uboot# ls -l
total 1024
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 447292 Jan 14 16:14 BOOT
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  75208 Jan 28  2018 MLO
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  90884 Jan 14 16:14 SPL
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 422560 Jan 28  2018 u-boot.img

Thanks.

Robert Nelson

unread,
Jan 14, 2019, 12:31:50 PM1/14/19
to Beagle Board, Ferdi Tjandra
On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:26 AM ferdster <ftja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ok, so it is exactly what I thought needed to be done, but I don't think the change you made to update_bootloader.sh is quite right. It didn't overwrite the existing 'MLO' and 'u-boot.img' files in /opt/backup/uboot. Instead it created two new files 'BOOT' and 'SPL'.
>
> BEFORE:
> /opt/backup/uboot# ls -l
> total 492
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 75208 Jan 28 2018 MLO
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 422560 Jan 28 2018 u-boot.img
>
> AFTER:
> /opt/backup/uboot# ls -l
> total 1024
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 447292 Jan 14 16:14 BOOT
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 75208 Jan 28 2018 MLO
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 90884 Jan 14 16:14 SPL
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 422560 Jan 28 2018 u-boot.img

OKay fixed..

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/commit/702a85c3ea80bf39c36f539e40dbd0e877b173dc

Before:
debian@test-bbb-1:/opt/scripts/tools$ ls -lh /opt/backup/uboot/
total 516K
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 90K Jun 24 2018 MLO
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 422K Jun 24 2018 u-boot.img

After:
debian@test-bbb-1:/opt/scripts/tools$ ls -lh /opt/backup/uboot/
total 532K
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 89K Jan 14 17:30 MLO
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 437K Jan 14 17:30 u-boot.img
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages