Help! Replaced dead BBW with Beaglebone Green but it won't boot with my hardware attached!

wku...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2017, 11:08:23 AM12/6/17
to BeagleBoard
My Beaglebone White died after about 3 years of 24/7 use.  I downloaded the "latest" Debian Stretch image (bone-debian-9.2-iot-armhf-2017-10-10-4gb.img.xz) and wrote a new SD card.
Had no trouble copying over my code and building it.  Edited the /boot/uEnv.txt file to try and make the pinmux match the BBW with these changes:

uncomment:  disable_uboot_overlay_emmc=1
comment:      uboot_overlay_pru=/lib/firmware/AM335X-PRU-RPROC-4-4-TI-00A0.dtbo

Everything seems fine and after I start my code all the /sys/class/gpio/gpio* direction and value stuff looks correct, but when I attach my hardware the system won't boot.

What am I missing?

I need to make the pinmux match what the original Beaglebone White defaulted to with Debian version 8.9 as I use virtually all the gpio pn J8, pins on J9 are not used.

Searching found an article that said I need to rename /bbb-uEnv.txt to /uEnv.txt, I did and it didn't change anything.

Robert Nelson

Dec 6, 2017, 11:11:07 AM12/6/17
to Beagle Board, wku...@gmail.com
On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 10:08 AM, <wku...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My Beaglebone White died after about 3 years of 24/7 use. I downloaded the
> "latest" Debian Stretch image
> (bone-debian-9.2-iot-armhf-2017-10-10-4gb.img.xz) and wrote a new SD card.
> Had no trouble copying over my code and building it. Edited the
> /boot/uEnv.txt file to try and make the pinmux match the BBW with these
> changes:
>
> uncomment: disable_uboot_overlay_emmc=1
> comment:
> uboot_overlay_pru=/lib/firmware/AM335X-PRU-RPROC-4-4-TI-00A0.dtbo
>
> Everything seems fine and after I start my code all the
> /sys/class/gpio/gpio* direction and value stuff looks correct, but when I
> attach my hardware the system won't boot.

I blame your hardware..

Plug in a usb-serial adapter and share with us your system bootup..

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

wku...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2017, 12:41:27 PM12/6/17
to BeagleBoard
That is what I was starting to think, but I managed to get the Debian 8.9 SD card from the BBW to boot in the BBG by editing  /boot/uEnv.txt:

uname_r=4.1.18-ti-r49
#uuid=
#dtb=

##BeagleBone Black/Green dtb's for v4.1.x (BeagleBone White just works..)

##BeagleBone Green: eMMC disabled
dtb=am335x-bonegreen-overlay.dtb

This card has been in the BBW since 2015.

This issue is moot now since I've got the original Debian 8.9 SD card from the BBW to boot on the BBG and its working fine again, but someday I may need a more "modern" system if I add new features so I'd like find a solution.

This is an "early" model BBG that required an eMMC flash to do anything useful, obviously the old image in the eMMC won't boot with my hardware attached as I'm using gpio pins on J8 that require the eMMC be disabled.
So I think there must still be an issue in the boot up with the Debian 9.2 image and at least some of the older BBG boards.

Unfortunately there is no practical way to plug in a usb-serial adapter to monitor the bootup with my hardware attached -- its an IOT application and unfortunately physical access is very difficult.

Just for grins, I put the bone-debian 9.2 SD card /boot/uEnv.txt back to stock settings and tried it in my old Rev A5A BeagleboneBlack that has been collecting dust.  It booted fine and the GUI came up, I thought I'd downloaded an IOT image without GUI.  The GUI is too sluggish to be useful, perhaps is usable with ssh -X, but pcmanfm didn't show icons when I started it from an ssh -X session, although it otherwise seemed to work.

wku...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2017, 3:50:24 PM12/6/17
to BeagleBoard

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 11:41:27 AM UTC-6, wku...@gmail.com wrote:

Just for grins, I put the bone-debian 9.2 SD card /boot/uEnv.txt back to stock settings and tried it in my old Rev A5A BeagleboneBlack that has been collecting dust.  It booted fine and the GUI came up, I thought I'd downloaded an IOT image without GUI.  The GUI is too sluggish to be useful, perhaps is usable with ssh -X, but pcmanfm didn't show icons when I started it from an ssh -X session, although it otherwise seemed to work.

I got the gui because the SD card wasn't fully inserted and it booted from the 2GB eMMC  image -- Doh!

But the bone-debian 2017-10-10 Debian 9.2 SD card booted fine and showed a console login in the HDMI monitor.