RE: MotorCape and Ideas/Seth

Mala Dies

Sep 22, 2018, 8:37:46 PM9/22/18
to BeagleBoard
Hello,

I bought me a MotorCape made for BeagleBoard.org from GHI on Mouser.com. This thing is cool. It is powered by whatever up to 46V. One thing to mention is that the BBB... should be plugged in via barrel jack (vdd_5v) instead of USB (sys_5v) when applying your software to run w/ the MotorCape attached. For example:

BBB -> barrel jack or other form of 5v supply from the barrel jack

MotorCape -> 12VDC -> two, 12v DC motors

Now...

The board works out of the box. I had some complication at first b/c I thought, for my own personal reasons which were 100% incorrect, the BBB could be tested w/ the MotorCape attached via sys_5v. Oops!

Look, I cannot go into how many people I harassed over this issue. You can still, of course, connect the BBB via USB for programming and software development to apply to your new Cape (or at least I have).

Seth

P.S. If you get "board" of reading this post b/c no one will inevitably reply (hopefully they will), see this site: https://www.hackster.io/silver2row/motorcape-and-the-bbbw-can-make-motors-move-0d7e55 and https://github.com/silver2row/motocape.
Message has been deleted

Mala Dies

Sep 23, 2018, 12:13:23 AM9/23/18
to BeagleBoard
Hello,

If you could not tell, I was using the 4.14.x kernel w/ the Adafruit_BBIO library. If you would like any other info, please do not hesitate to chat w/ me on #beagle or here via forum suggestions.

Seth

Jason Kridner

Sep 23, 2018, 12:51:57 AM9/23/18
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing. I need to find a moment to put notes on usage up on the site, but seems you figured it all out. The VDD_5V usage had some reasoning in pulling current direct from the barrel jack or PowerCape, rather than through the PMIC.

From a consistently viewpoint, I have my doubts if this is the best way to go. The 5V current should be pretty low since there is separate power for the motors themselves.

Let me know your thoughts.

On Sep 22, 2018, at 8:38 PM, Mala Dies <fun...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I forgot to mention: The Cape works well w/ the Adafrui_BBIO library which can be found here: https://github.com/adafruit/adafruit-beaglebone-io-python.

Seth

Mala Dies

Sep 23, 2018, 1:59:14 AM9/23/18
to BeagleBoard
Hello Sir,

The only issue I have currently w/ the MotorCape is that I cannot test directly what I would like to test. This basically means, lazily, I have to poweroff my BBB, take the USB cable out, and then plug in the 5V barrel jack into the wall outlet just to test the motors.

If "we" are controlling the MotorCape and BBB at some point simultaneously, I would say that using the USB for power is more popular.

I say "more popular" b/c like me and other people, lazy is easy. I had to get on a forum at the GHI people's site. Some fellow told me about the barrel jack. I thought the dang-gone MotorCape was faulty at first. I looked over the schematics at this point w/out a second look.

Seth

P.S. Once the word gets out, I am sure people will understand either way. By sys or vdd, the BBB needs to be powered on.

Mala Dies

Sep 24, 2018, 10:20:32 PM9/24/18
to BeagleBoard
Hello Again Sir,

I was thinking about the course of action to take on this Cape, the MotorCape. I say leave it as is. It is okay w/ me at least. The vdd_5v is fine. Although, "more complicated," it is simple to deal w/.

Typing up a service for the Debian Distro from what is available online is easy. I could type up a bash script, too. It does not have to be just a barrel jack either. We have our input vdd_5v onboard, too. And if people are tired of starting up their BBB or other variation w/ a service or a bash script, they can use cron.

Seth

P.S. If I ever make anything worth my time, I will post it again instead of just instructional ideas. Oh and sir, please let me know where you stand on this issue if you can find time.

Jason Kridner

Sep 26, 2018, 10:55:17 AM9/26/18
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 1:59 AM Mala Dies <fun...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Sir,

The only issue I have currently w/ the MotorCape is that I cannot test directly what I would like to test. This basically means, lazily, I have to poweroff my BBB, take the USB cable out, and then plug in the 5V barrel jack into the wall outlet just to test the motors.

Why do you need to remove the USB connection? You can have both the USB connection and 5V DC barrel jack connected at the same time!

If "we" are controlling the MotorCape and BBB at some point simultaneously, I would say that using the USB for power is more popular.

I agree. However, we also seem to agree this isn't a show stopper.

I say "more popular" b/c like me and other people, lazy is easy. I had to get on a forum at the GHI people's site. Some fellow told me about the barrel jack. I thought the dang-gone MotorCape was faulty at first. I looked over the schematics at this point w/out a second look.

This needs to be put up on the cape page, github and wiki. Sorry for not getting that done before the product launched. The excuse of not enough time is not a good one, so I have no good excuse.

Mala Dies

Sep 26, 2018, 3:12:26 PM9/26/18
to BeagleBoard
Hello Sir,

Were you being serious when you typed out that the USB and 5v DC barrel jack can be connected at the same time? I thought that this was a power overload to the BBB.

Oh and although it is not a show stopper, this is a good Cape. People think that the L298 is popular b/c it is very easy to use, esp. for seasoned patrons.

I mean...I typed that out b/c the I have made a couple of instruction guides for fun on hackster.io and people looked up the L298 more than all of them combined. If you ever decide to pick a new driver/chip for a new Cape, I would like to know. I see the LoadCape is just as nice but w/ a lower cost. I will look to this one also. I am a bit slow w/ Relays. This is why I have not invested in the RelayCape just yet.

Oh and sir, I would not beat yourself up over that small item in history. It is the past. People are starting to find out about the barrel jack and MotorCape.

I think this excuse/no-excuse is just fine.

Seth

P.S. People are busy, sir. It happens to the best of them and so on. I would love to see a Modular Cape one day. I got this idea once when I saw how Seeed Studio had a plug and play two wire LED out of its socket on one of their Grove Headers. Anyway, all is well w/ me and MotorCape. The RelayCape and LoadCape will most likely be purchased soon.

Mala Dies

Sep 26, 2018, 7:45:45 PM9/26/18
to BeagleBoard
Hello Again Sir,

I was inquiring about the 5v barrel jack and the USB connection being connected at the same time b/c I thought I burnt/bricked a board a while back w/ that set up. I am not calling you wrong.

This just means that I threw out a perfectly good board due to thinking this effort caused my issue of a faulty boot. Damn!

Seth

set_

Aug 15, 2020, 11:57:52 PM8/15/20
to BeagleBoard
Hello,

Just to not hinder peoples' ideas, the BeagleBoard.org family of boards can be powered via USB and Barrel Jack at the same time. Phew.

Seth

P.S. I think I took the wrong route years ago and needed to refresh this idea for people looking to add more current to their BBB boards. Also, I was looking up ideas on this groups' posts and came across this older concern.